Personal View site logo
Beginners: Basic hacks questions, series 2
  • 318 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood Tried the Cluster v6. Really liked it. Gonna try it with a low GOP and test again. Here's the Stream Parser results. Do they look average/normal?

Cluster V6.JPG
    1283 x 667 - 161K
  • Thats fine for the detail you were recording at the time. Try some high detail recordings now.

• @driftwood I'd like to record a death chart but I'm unclear how to do it. I assume it's a resolution chart of some kind. I really wanna push these settings. Please let me know how I can get a death chart. Thanks.

• Hi @eddietemple (not Tudor?!) If you use search on this site there should be links somewhere to the death charts. @Stray 's colour death chart is particularly useful.

• @driftwood My Sex Pistols references not withstanding, Cluster v6 is high detail approved! Shot some charts, bushes, water and the footage looked really good. Great hack! Thanks again for all your help.

v6Test.JPG
    1281 x 665 - 164K
  • Hi Everyone! Look what I`ve found on vimeo:

Is this possible?

• It´s scaled up.

• Hi, I´m sorry if this is not the place to post this (I´m new here). So MODs feel free to move it if you feel you must. I´ve just installed the GH2 100Mbps Flow Motion v2 Patch and now I have these REC MODE options: - AVHD (1080i) - tried this one and it worked but it shoots at 29i and I want 1920 x 1080 24p (or 25p if 24 is not possible) - AVCHD (720p) - it´s shooting at 60p but I want 24p (or 25p if 24 is not possible) - Motion JPEG - haven´t tried it

What option do I have to select on the Ptool to get this exact same patch but with 1920 x 1080 24p (or 25p) instead of 29i?

• See the table of video modes: http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-usage/gh2-usage

See about the PAL/NTSC menu: http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/gh2-hack-faq

24P cinema mode is 24 fps. HBR mode in PAL is 25 fps.

If you're getting write errors, use a different card, a faster card, or different hack settings.

• I look at these tables and it might as well be chinese for me. Just tell me once I get into the Ptool where what do I have to click to get 1920 x 1080 24p (or 25p). Changing to PAL has gotten me 1920 x 1080 25 INTERLACED but I´d like to know how to get 24p and 25p.

• It's got nothing to do with PTool. You just need to select the right mode on the camera. Read the manual and read the GH2 usage FAQ. Set the top dial to creative movie mode and then select 24P Cinema mode or HBR.

• I want to get my head around the GH2 stock firmware and menus before I hack it. Shot some stuff on holiday with the camera setup to 720p (manual movie mode, rec mode= avchd720p, rec quality set to SH). Bring it into premiere and its all 1280x720@ at 25fps.

I tried again yesterday. set to 720p: I dont get whats going on - I was shooting in manual but with auto iso and auto exposure, but surely that shouldnt make a difference

• Open your footage in VLC and see what VLC has to say about it.

• Ah! Good call - it says frame rate:50. So the next question is why is premiere thinking its 25fps? (When I try to remap or change speed it behaves exactly as if it was 25fps.

edit:Ok this will seem stupid, but after rebooting it seems that whereas movs will import as 50fps that you slow down to get slowmo, avchd will import at 25fps which you speed up to get normal speed. (And if you're wondering why I couldn't tell the footage was slowmo - it high shutter speed close up of water)

• how do i get thes patches do i juss downlode them or buy them ??? :)

• @superdantey whilst you are logged into the site you will find some posts with zip files attached, the settings are provided by other members for you to freely download (at no cost) and apply to your camera. It might be a good idea to look through the post below to get you started..

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2386/beginners-guide-to-setting-up-stable-settings/p1

a range of patches can be found in this post...

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-settings-vault-most-popular-settings-in-one-place#Item_1

Also read through the FAQS which can be found on the top (green) bar, these contain a lot of useful info :)

• I have just installed @driftwood Cluster v6 and noticed its 1080i when going into the recording setup. On previous camera setups and what i have learnt before progressive is better than interlaced, so can anyone explain why it will only let me record on 1080i and why people dont really mention 1080p on here. Sorry if this has come up before I have check as much as I can but cant find anything.

I want to shoot 24 fps 1080p and im guessing I should be shooting in manual movie mode rather than HBR? Thanks

• Hacking your camera won't change which video modes are available in the camera's menus. If you're not seeing progressive modes, then something is wrong, and you should do menu, setup, reset. Set the top dial to creative movie mode, and then select 24P Cinema or HBR mode. They are both progressive. There is little reason to shoot in 1080i on the GH2, though you have that option. FAQs answer all: http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/

• Always something new to find about my GH2. I am flying my GH2 on a Hexakopter, and have set up a video downlink which uses the AV output (not HDMI) of the GH2, so you can see the POV of the camera while flying. I was very frustrated that I could see still images when playing back, but wasn't getting a video signal while recording. Finally, I found the trick: sometimes, you have to press and hold the Delete button on the back of the GH2 to switch on the AV out (the signal comes out of the USB-type connector.)

I added this to the FAQ. Anyone else come across this trick?

• is anyone here using 720p straight out of the camera in premiere? I'm having a real problem with it: its as if premiere thinks the footage is 25fps - the video is playing back at half speed, the sound at normal speed. VLC is saying the footage is 50fps but mediainfo (from super) is reporting 25fps.

• Hi does anyone have an issue with Auto ISO? In shutter priority mode when I try to set the Auto ISO limit nothing changes, it always exposes to 6400 regardless of whether I force the limit to 200/400/800/1600/3200/OFF.

• Auto ISO works in shutter priority mode. What shutter speed are you using? Is there good lighting?

• Is it possible to get 25p 1080 and hacked compression? It seems 25p is only in HBR in firmware1.1 and that HBR is not affected by the hack?

• @gong HBR only became available in firmware 1.1 with it's access to 25p. But when you apply the hack to the camera it will be applyed to all shooting modes. If you need to confirm if any footage that you have shot has "hacked compression" take a look at the file analysis in Streamparser which can be downloaded here..

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/370/official-streamparser-topic/p1

• What ss should we use in VMM 80% (uses 24p settings but records in 30fps)? should it be multiple of 24 (so ss 25-50-100 etc) or of 30 (ss 30-60-125 etc.)?