Personal View site logo
Driftwood VY Canis Majoris: This thread will now be integrated into 'Driftwood Series 6 Settings'
  • We measure brightness emitted off our subject matter by its Luma values, then, how much chrominance signal governs the hue and saturation of the recorded color. Known as Y'CbCr, the luma and chrominance information are digital sample values partly maximised by the quantisation matrix and scalers. Chrominance is usually represented as two color-difference components: U = B' − Y' (blue − luma) and V = R' − Y' (red − luma).

We also have deblocking tables to mess with. How digitally smoothed should we treat the signal of the adjoining sampled macroblocks?

VY Canis Majoris explores these areas further and each setting analyses approximate conditions of input required for certain times of the day where the natural light is weaker/stronger.

The first releases were VY Canis Majoris 'Day PM', 'Night', 'Skin Tone Soft', and the Crossfire released 'Green Screen' over on the other thread (an Intra version is being prepared). 'Day AM' will be out very soon. Including the highest measured matrix to date - no AQ required, tried and tested deblocking over the three main settings (24p, HBR and 720p) this is the first in a few settings for various filming conditions.

More settings in this series to come... ... ;-)

LOOKOUT FOR SOME NEW TERRIFIC MATRIX SETS FROM CHRIS BRANDIN ON CANIS MAJORIS.

NOTE: ALL MY CANIS SETTINGS HAVE THE 4 MINUTE RECORD LIMITATION CHECKED TO GUARANTEE WRITES. UNCHECK THE TIME LIMIT AT THE BOTTOM OF PTOOLS AND ENABLE > 30 MINUTE LIMIT AT THE TOP OF PTOOLS TO RELEASE THIS.

REMEMBER: IF YOU USE THESE SETTINGS PLEASE MAKE A DONATION ABOVE TO VITALIY KISELEV FOR HIS TIRELESS WORK IN MAKING THIS HAPPEN. THESE SETTINGS ARE TOTALLY DEDICATED TO HIM. THERE ARE MANY QUIET USERS OUT THERE WHO HAVE NEVER BOTHERED OFFERING ANYTHING. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP TO KEEP THESE HACKS GOING. NO MORE DONATIONS = NO MORE SETTINGS. IF YOU HAVE MADE A SMALL CONTRIBUTION IN THE PAST, NOW IS THE TIME TO DONATE AGAIN. Thankyou, Nick

• 901 Replies sorted by
  • 'Night' deliberately pushes the matrix very aggresively. Stopped recordings will happen even on default Q20! I have been using this setting on all modes for dark studio recordings with overhead spots and lots of detail on lit subject matter including faces, band equipment like drummers, etc... So far results have been very good.

'Day pm' Reduces the luminance and chrominance of the Night setting to compensate for the brighter reflective surface of outdoor late afternoons.

'Skin Tone Soft' Softens the frequencies further and smooths deblocking between adjacenet macroblocks.

More VY Canis Majoris Settings will appear this week such as 'Day am', 'Motion', 'Smoothie'...and 'VYCM Etc' mode (a serious attempt to improve the noise in ETC mode)

Below: A 50p grade test of Canis Majoris 'Day - pm' Setting coming soon... :-) Plus, 1/ A quick grab from 'VYCM Night' setting from a 70-200 Canon 30ft away in the dark. 2/ A quick screen grab from the new Icarus Youth video using VY Canis Majoris 'Skin Tone Soft'.

VY Canis Majoris Fast movement screengrab - Sampled from 'Night' setting.png
    2560 x 1440 - 186K
    VY Canis Majoris - 'Skin Tone Soft' - Screen shot 2012-05-03 at 01.15.57.png
    2560 x 1440 - 4M
  • I will do a bigger test later but which would you like comparison footage against first? Orion, Mysteron or Sedna?

• Can't wait to test this out!

• I believe Sedna A AQ1 is the one to beat. If this one does it, it's hats off to driftwood! I'm sure it's going to be great ;)

• We can see the star in the night

• Testing now!

• VY Canis Majoris has a few options coming...

• Testing it out now

• VY Canis Majoris has 7 setting it seems i need 3 gh2's to use all of them 24/7 ......@driftwood i sir, how do u do? after a long time,.. thank u so much and i wish u all the best for u r shoots,. sir do we have any most detailed and super sharp canis in the row to beat sedna A Aq1????

• First few shots and it stops recording at 4 minutes no matter what I'm pointing it at. Looks good so far.

first-test.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 914K
  • @ driftwood, what am I looking at in the vimeo video on the second post ... graded/ungraded video? I'm confused to what this video is showing? Some more details like lens fstop and ISO shutter would be great

• Damn @Driftwood, you getting very close to the holy grail....

• @PETERNAP It´s because of the recording limit setting. Last voice in the experimental settings in Ptool; you can turn it off..

• @kihlian It is not frame limit, it is recording limit. Frame limit is another setting under experimental settings.

• Nothing exciting, just testing out ISO 640 and 1280. Click original quality to have it playback at 2634x1080p

• What is the intention of driftwood´s "Day - pm Setting" test? Which improvements or characteristics am I supposed to see here?

• Simply put, the variance in luminance and chrominance required Sir Danish.

• @sohus Edited, I write it wrong but mean that..

• You can pull the 4 minute time limit very easily by unchecking in ptools.

• Here's my test from tonight. Shot at 2500, mostly open all the way on both lenses. f0.95 to 1.8. Nikon 50 and Voigt 25.

Pretty noisy, as expected. I'm getting the lower-3rd horizontal line issue in some shots (any trick to getting that to go away like ISO 320 noise bug?) One test shot using standard 0 didn't show horizontal line. But popped up to smooth -2 and it shows up. Not saying this patch has anything to do with the line. Just wond'rin.

Noticed nice sharpness in distant objects. Overall very nice. Objectively, I'd say it feels, "classy." ;) Thanks, Nick.

• @5thwall, 1/25 shutter fixes the horizontal line most of the time. Not the most desirable fix of course. At least you gain an extra stop!

Results look pretty good, can't wait to test this out.

• @5thwall Thanks...that was a good workout for the middle of the night. I guess noise is relevant. It looked acceptable to me...nothing Neat Video can't smooth out.

• Look good @driftwood. What lens are you using for that "Day-pm" test video?

• "IF YOU HAVE MADE A SMALL CONTRIBUTION IN THE PAST, NOW IS THE TIME TO DONATE AGAIN. Nick"

Done .

(Feels good to do so, even on smaller amounts. Try it guys!)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions