Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 5
  • 751 Replies sorted by
  • Tried out GOP3ZILLA v2.12 on PAL mode with Samyang 35mm and Sandisk 32GB 95mbps. It stopped recording in 24p. Slow panning in a slight drizzle and over grass and plants. All other settings worked beautifully. Same thing in NTSC. All other modes work well but stopped at the exact same spot when in 24p. I've attached a screen grab of where the video stopped recording.

Screen Shot 2012-04-08 at 5.39.42 PM.png
    1680 x 1050 - 3M
  • @chromekoda

"bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA_V2.12_BETA.zip seems to work with my configuration in all modes very well. I am shooting everything in PAL mode"

Interessting. Apparently my modified GOP length values ( http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/54292#Comment_54292 ) cause issues on some cards. I wonder why... because I've tried these values on all bkmcwd patches as well as on Sanity V4 and LPowell's Flowmotion. No issues at all with my cards (even on class 6 cards). Flowmotion is spanning in HBR/25p mode with these settings applied. As GOP3ZILLA does.

@konjow

"Does towis modyfied V2 and bkmcwd V2.12 beta have both the same settings for PAL?"

Basically they are the same for PAL modes. bkmcwd just changed the initial quantizer to 15 (20 in my settings) ... but this setting only affects the quantizer for the first few frames. In addition my settings contain said adapted GOP length settings. If bkmcwd's V2.12 Beta works for "chromekoda" but my settings do not ... maybe load bkmcwd's setting. I don't know wether or not bkmcwd's settings will still span in HBR/25p mode, though.

@bkmcwd

you rock! :-)

• @thehaz

please try to change the GOP table for 24p ... see attachment - change "32" to "34" and try again

gop24p.jpg
    377 x 625 - 134K
  • Well.... about GOP3ZILLA_V2.12 with PAL...strange ...my camera freezes if I start to shoot with 720p immediately after turning the power on. But... if I shoot few seconds with HBR first and then turn camera to 720p , everything works nicely and in 720p mode the camera seems to work no matter what I shoot... The same thing happens with identical SanDisk16GB klass10 30MB/s card... and it seems to have nothing to do with "what is in the picture", the camera just freezes immediately, and I have to remove the battery. Here is my short 720p testclip

to watch this you might need a password, it is; bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA_V2.12_BETA

• @chromekoda

Thanks again. :-)

@konjow

Not same but changed Encoder Settings. :-)

On this GOP tables, I think that a former Encoder Settings are too aggressive.

@thehaz

Thanks for feedback! :-)

"It stopped recording in 24p."

The report of having stopped in 24p with your card was heard for the first time. Would you tell me the detailed setup?

• @towi

Thanks mate! :-)

Need more test and adjusting something, I think.

• @bkmcwd

"changed Encoder Settings"

ups, I've overlooked the Encoder settings... sorry!

When you say the Encoder settings (the Encoder settings for 720p modes that is) are too agressive ... this goes for shooting with the camera set to NTSC mode, right?

• @bkmcwd

"Need more test and adjusting something, I think"

yes, mabe.

Am still not totally happy with 720p50.

I am just trying a setting with modified GOP tables for 720p:

I've changed these:

• 720p50 Opt1 GOP Table=1, 11 , 0, 0, 27, 0

• 720p50 Opt2 GOP Table=1, 27, 0, 1, 10, 0

to

• 720p50 Opt2 GOP Table=1, 27, 0, 11, 0, 0

I'll let you know how it works out ... of course :-)

other than that I've just successfully tested spanning on a "bush of death" (slightly moving in the wind) in HBR/25p mode shot with the Nokton 0.95/25 in Ext. Telemode on a SanDisk 30MB/s, 16GB card (with my settings ...). That's really cool!

• @chromekoda

"about GOP3ZILLA_V2.12 with PAL...strange"

I do not understand a cause, either. I did not notice such a phenomenon until now. However, while trying more, it may understand. :-)

@towi

"this goes for shooting with the camera set to NTSC mode, right?"

No. I have sent the same contents to you with PM last night. I judged that the former setting also for PAL was too aggressive.

"I am just trying a setting with modified GOP tables for 720p:"

Your idea is always interesting. I will also try them. :-)

• @bkmcwd

I've loaded a demo version of Elecard Buffer Analyzer.

It's limited to show a certain clip length ... but I assume the graph still shows some useful results?

Old 720p50 GOP tables on the left, modified on the right (with old Encoder setting still applied).

I assume the buffer on the right side looks as supposed to?? (I don't know the software ... so I don't know exactly on what to look at)

buffer_720p50.jpg
    1120 x 315 - 73K
  • @chromekoda

"Well.... about GOP3ZILLA_V2.12 with PAL...strange ...my camera freezes if I start to shoot with 720p immediately after turning the power on. But... if I shoot few seconds with HBR first and then turn camera to 720p , everything works nicely and in 720p mode the camera seems to work no matter what I shoot... The same thing happens with identical SanDisk16GB klass10 30MB/s card... and it seems to have nothing to do with "what is in the picture", the camera just freezes immediately, and I have to remove the battery."

I can't replicate your issue. When I turn on the camera, do the "avoid ISO bug" thing, and straight go to SH (720p50) mode the camera works just fine (footage looks good, too). On the very same 16GB SanDisk 30MB/s card (freshly reformatted ... so without any old clips on it).

Have you formatted your cards on the computer at some point? There's a SD-Formatter tool from Panasonic for SD/SDHC/SDXC cards ... maybe try to re-format all your cards with it (in "overwrite" mode to rebulit appropriate formatting from the ground).

• @bkmcwd

attached my new GOP tables for 720p50* with your revised Encoder settings (from GOP3ZILLA 2.12 Beta)

• 720p50 Opt2 GOP Table=1, 27, 0, 11, 0, 0

buffer_720p50_v2.jpg
    1177 x 662 - 237K
  • @towi

Your result is very good-looking! :-) I also obtained the same good result in PAL. However, in NTSC, I have obtained the better result with table of V2.12_BETA now. Since it is more difficult to stabilize NTSC than PAL in 720p, I consider what should be done.

• @chromekoda Have the same card too. Spans on 720 50p, also without reformatting...

• @towi

60p was also stabilized.

bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA_V2.12_BETA2.zip
    680B
  • @bkmcwd

great work!

Looking at the 720p GOP tables we've tested so far I think we shoud stay within this pattern:

Opt1: 1, X, 0, 0, Y, 0

Opt2: 1, Y, 0, X, 0, 0

• @towi

Yes!!! And 1+X+Y=the multiple of 3

I have obtained the very good result combining this table also to natural and GOLGOP3-13 instantly.

Many many thanks!!! :-)

• me too :-))

and GOLGOP13 was spanning in HBR/25p mode on a 32GB SanDisk 95MB/s :-)

• @towi

Yes!!! Probably, that will be right. Because, GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, and natural have differences only Q settings and some parts of 24p.

• @bkmcwd

"And 1+X+Y=the multiple of 3"

If the theory is correct for 720p the checksum actually should be a multiple of 6 (GOP length). But apparently half the GOP length is also okay (in this particular case maybe even better).

• @towi

I agree. :-) Especially about the interlace-ized mode, I guess so that it may be more nearly better to be a multiple of 2. There is no telling whether it is right. In such a sense, I think that an all 6GOP setting is very rational.

• @towi

Since it was satisfactory when the GOLGOP3-13 version also verified all the mode, I release soon. Probably I also release the natural version simultaneously.

• I know this might not be the right place to ask this but since i'm looking everywhere without finding an answer.. Is there a way to use 25p mts files directly in premiere pro without having to rewrap with another program like clipwrap or 5dtorgb?

• I release "GOLGOP3-13_V4.13", "GOP3ZILLA_V2.12", and "natural_V2.11" settings.

These are the settings focused on image quality with LARGE I-FRAME SIZE except 60p and 50p.

And, I am also focusing to stability.

I used GOP tables elaborated together with @towi.

Special thanks to @towi! :-)

"GOLGOP3-13" is aimed at especially lowlight shooting with smooth noise.

"GOP3ZILLA" is all-round and reasonable bitrate setting.

"natural" is economical all-round. The codec never wavers in any scene.

Please try them.

Please refer to here to combine @thepalalias's "Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2" http://perlichtman.com/pasdenapulse/wordpress/2012/03/14/panasonic-gh2-audio-settings-file-pasadena-pulse-audio-v2-beta-2/

NOTE:

*Although bit rate setups are quite high, the bit rate which actually appears are lower than these. Since the actual bit rate changes by the object to shoot, please confirm by yourself.

*In 24H, GOLGOP3-13:Around 100M, GOP3ZILLA:Around 70M, NATURAL:Around 40M.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with mega size I-frame.

*In GOLGOP3-13, 24p80%(30p) is available in only 24L.

*In camera playback is available in 24p. In other mode, Sometimes available.(Not tested yet, but probably)

*EX Tele works.(Not tested yet, but probably)

*Spanning in 24H, 24L, maybe in FSH, HBR, and SH with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card.(Not tested yet, but probably)

*Spanning in other cards needs to be tested.

bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13_V4.13.zip
    723B
    bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA_V2.12.zip
    708B
    bkmcwd natural_v2.11.zip
    706B
    natural_v2.11_24p_ISO160_TEA_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 610 - 186K
  • I did few shots with V2.12 beta thought its same as modified towis. dont have time to analyze them more but 720p50 looks good 5d2rgb shows around 54mbps amd HBR 25p shows around 30mbps only> btw. what should be set in chroma field settings in 5d2rgb fo HBR 25p ?