Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 5
  • 751 Replies sorted by
  • @towi Thx for reply. Today I have fever and don´t will test. Like to see the results of your latest test.

• @towi

"May I ask why "34" in Natural?"

That is because I think that 34 is the best for natural. If this number is increased from stock, a codec stops getting confused also with a test chart like Chris's 44M. In order to keep a codec from getting confused with GOP3ZILLA, you have to make this number or more into 39. When it does so, it becomes impossible however, to use low qp appropriate for GOP3ZILLA in shooting other than a test chart. Then, the compromise number is 32. I am going to test the present version of 32 now, and I am going to release the version of around 39 soon.

But, I like the 10 of "GOP3ZILLA_V2.0". :-)

Chris44M_24p.jpg
    1294 x 1261 - 764K
    natural_24p.jpg
    1296 x 1260 - 818K
    GOP3ZILLA_32_24p.jpg
    1295 x 1267 - 838K
    GOP3ZILLA_39_24p.jpg
    1296 x 1266 - 809K
  • @Stray ok thanks for the informative response so i will give bkmcwd patches a try since it's also better for 25p!

• @bkmcwd

many thanks!

Today I've tested GOP3ZILLA (V2.1) with my old SanDisk cl.6 20MB/s cards. No issues at all in all modes... except in-camera playback won't work. I would not use the cards regularly ... but if you are running out of cards on location it's nice to know you can even use your old cards if need is.

Apart from spanning SanDisk 30MB/s cards work reliable with all your 3 patches (in their respective latest version).

• @towi

Thanks for feed back, mate! :-)

"in-camera playback won't work"

Did this occur in all modes or some part? When there is at least one strange data in a card, it may not all playback in camera, but how is it?

I am going to release safest GOP3ZILLA tomorrow. However, I am not sure this is good...

• @bkmcwd

"Did this occur in all modes or some part? When there is at least one strange data in a card, it may not all playback in camera, but how is it?"

Good to know! Just did a quick test again with a SanDisk 20MB/s card...

• recorded 24H. In-camera playback worked fine

• recorded HBR (25p). In-camera playback worked fine

• recorded FSH (50i). In-camera did not work. Due to the FSH clip on the card also the 24H and HBR clips didn't playback anymore.

Thanks for the tip!

"I am going to release safest GOP3ZILLA tomorrow"

Great - looking forward to test it!

• BW with Orion v4b, Color with Golgop3-13 (Vibrant, dialed down)

• I've been testing Golgop3-13 with the orion 4b matrix today, I figured it would be a good mix. Seems to be good and stable so far. The B-Frame size is quite inflated from Golgop3 with stock. Will post more details tomorrow (as to if its worth using) when I've had more time with it. @towi and @bkmcwd I've not had much experience running these Gop3s with 25p so I was wondering, have you noticed that the first second of a shot that the frame sizes seem to be a bit jittery (using streamparser)? I don't mean the usual pulse at the start, but on a static shot for example it takes just over a second to settle down into a predictable pattern. It still looks good though, and this could just be me seeing something thats not there.

• Looking really good @bkmcwd. Ive tested your settings too with some of the Sedna matrices and they work very well indeed. Golgop3 keeps getting better and better. Great work.

• @Stray

"I've not had much experience running these Gop3s with 25p so I was wondering, have you noticed that the first second of a shot that the frame sizes seem to be a bit jittery (using streamparser)?"

Yes, the same here... the codec needs some "preroll"...

• Cheers, thanks for the confirmation.

• reminds me on the first high bitrate hacks made for the GH2 back then ... but I don't worry about it

• latest vid using driftwood's orion v4d patch

• @towi

Thanks for feedback again! :-)

@RRRR

Looks nice, beautiful!

@Stray @driftwood

Thanks for feedback of using with custom matrix, mate! :-)

• @all

I release new GOP3ZILLA_V2.2. However, I do not know whether this is better than former settings.
    Then, I compared some. First of all, a codec is kept from having wavered on a high definition scene like a test chart or a tea garden these V2.2. However, Q15 cannot be harnessed in the usual shooting, although image quality is not bad. Though a codec wavers for a while in a test chart, I think that priority should be given to the image quality of the usual shooting.

Then, I compared three GOP3ZILLAs.

How do you think? I think that a situation changes when combining some custom matrix, of course...

It seems that V2.2 is better than Chris's 44M also in indoor shooting of ISO1600 as for image quality, and if it is the indoor of ISO160, it can harness Q15.

EDIT: This is comparison in 24p. It is the same at all the versions except 24p.

Since I cannot explain well by means of language, I attach three vimeos, three zip files and five screen shots.

GOP3ZILLA_V2.0

GOP3ZILLA_V2.1

GOP3ZILLA_V2.2

bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA_V2.0.zip
    727B
    bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA_V2.1.zip
    726B
    bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA_V2.2.zip
    727B
    Forest_Comparison.jpg
    1295 x 1898 - 1M
    Room_Comparison.jpg
    1295 x 1897 - 1M
    Chris44M_24p_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1294 x 629 - 148K
    GOP3ZILLA_V2.2_24p_ISO160_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1295 x 630 - 145K
    GOP3ZILLA_V2.2_24p_NOT_WAVERED_ON_Testchart_sp_qp.jpg
    1296 x 1261 - 860K
  • Okay I've spent a good day shooting with Golgop3-V4.2 with the Orion Matrix. It's stable, it looks good and it holds up well. However the size of its B-Frames is a bit too large for my liking. This matrix after all is built for a GOP1 setting. In lowlight high iso shots it gets quite of hand, but still remains stable (even with HBR). But it doesn't look good in lowlight. From what I've seen so far the HQ matrix of @towi is far the better option for anything over GOP 1, it looks very sweet. So I've just started shooting Golgop3 with the HQ matrix and will post some proper video/streamparser in a couple of days.

A quick example of pushing the orion matrix version of golgop3 attached. The processed shot has been through a lot, including moving in and out of various colour spaces with different processes being applied within each colour space. It also had motion blur added through masks (and a lot of contrast tweaks). It didn't get damaged much, and it felt like I had enough latitude before breaking it. In lowlight however the battle with noise was a lot harder than usual. Incidentally, I had much less freedom when working with a 5D2RGB DNxHD version (these were done with tiff sequences). 5D2RGB doesn't for me anyroad give very good results with out of focus backgrounds that create banding like this image.

Edit : I am aware this is cheesy nasty processing work, but I fancied a laugh and I was just seeing how far the source could be pushed.

raw_shot.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    processed_shot.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @Stray

Thanks for the report!

"From what I've seen so far the HQ matrix of @towi is far the better option for anything over GOP 1, it looks very sweet"

Good to know! I've tried the HQ matrix with GOP3ZILLA but could not see any advantage over the stock matrix. Some streams showed minor irregularities (the actual footage looked good, though). But I haven't tried the HQ matrix in GOLGOP3, yet. I will!

BTW: again, credit for the HQ matrix actually goes to Driftwood. Someone just sent me a table of numbers but Driftwood was the one who actually made a "matrix" out of it. Great guy!

• @ PAL USERS

From a certain PAL user, I was asked combine a Sedna matrix and Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2 with GOP3ZILLA.

Although I hardly understood about matrix, I readjusted my setting so that GOP3ZILLA might work normally.

The mostly satisfying result has come out of the torture test except 60p. (However, 60p can also be used ordinarily.)

I do not know whether this setting is helpful to a PAL user.

I release "GOP3ZILLA + sednaAQ1A + Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2" setting.

Of course, this is also the setting focused on image quality with LARGE I-FRAME SIZE except 60p and 50p.

Please try it.

Special thanks to @driftwood and @thepalalias! :-)

Since I cannot explain well by means of language, I attach six screen shots.

NOTE:

*Of course, this setting is not only for PAL users but also all people.

*This setting is focused on especially 24p mode.

*24H mode is high quality 3GOP setting with mega size I-frame.

*24L mode is for 24p80%(30p).

*In camera playback is available.(Not tested yet, but probably)

*EX Tele works.(Not tested yet, but probably)

*Spanning in 24H, 24L, maybe in FSH, HBR, and SH with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card.(Not tested yet, but probably)

UPDATE(2012.Mar.28th):

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/51122#Comment_51122

GOP3ZILLA + SednaAQ1A + Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2 .zip
    sednaAQ1A_ISO1600_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 632 - 152K
    GOP3ZILLA_sednaAQ1A_24p_ISO1600_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1295 x 634 - 153K
    GOP3ZILLA_sednaAQ1A_50i_ISO12800_#2st_sp.JPG
    1296 x 634 - 189K
    GOP3ZILLA_sednaAQ1A_25p_ISO12800_#2st_spJPG.JPG
    1298 x 632 - 196K
    GOP3ZILLA_sednaAQ1A_24p_ISO800_flower_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 633 - 149K
    GOP3ZILLA_sednaAQ1A_24p_ISO800_saigon_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 149K
  • Non pal user loves this patch for NTSC HBR, best I've ever gotten out of anything THANK YOU

• @bkmcwd

Hey! Whats happenin..

which version of the gop3zilla do u prefer? 2, 2.1 or 2.2?

Also, which version is merged w/.pasadena pulse and sedna a settings?

thx!

• @bkmcwd Thanks, it is great to see more authors use my audio settings. :)

• @bkmcwd

re GOP3ZILLA with Sedna A matrix applied: in HBR mode (PAL) the same scene produces much smaller I-frames than GOP3ZILLA 2.1 without the matrix (740K vs. 940K). At 24H I-frames reach the same size in both patches.

@Stray

GOLGOP3 with the HQ matrix applied crashes in HBR mode (PAL) on my camera (SanDisk 95MBs, 32GB). 24H looks good!

• @towi Cheers, the few tests I did with HBR (PAL also) didn't crash on a Sandisk 30mb (the HD video card) but that could be down to the shots themselves (I've gone right off testing with death charts recently, I do those after a day of real world shooting). Did you try HBR in golgop3 without the matrix ? Yes, the 24H looks really good with this matrix.

Good info on the effect of the Sedna Matrix. I'm a 24H shooter tbh, I need to spend much more time testing HBR settings properly. So much to do at the moment, and I'm too easily distracted by shiny things. ;)

• @royfel

Thanks! :-)

@flaschus

"which version of the gop3zilla do u prefer? 2, 2.1 or 2.2?"

I am not sure. But I think that V2.0 is good for especially low stressed scene as like as GOLGOP3-13. V2.2 is the Almighty most. However, it may be unable to harness high definition of Q15 so much on a lowlight scene. Exactly, V2.1 is middle character and maintains balance most.

Personally, I like V2.0 with stock matrix.

"Also, which version is merged w/.pasadena pulse and sedna a settings?"

One of tens of pieces of the test version of GOP3ZILLA which I have was readjusted. It is not which of V2.0-2.2, either.

@thepalalias

Thanks again! :-)

Although I did not care about audio hacks until now, I think that the good thing should combine.

@towi @Stray

Thanks for feedback, mate! :-) Since the B frame may be boosted when a custom-made matrix is combined, frame size may have to be made rather moderate. This is the first time that I combined the custom-made matrix by myself. since -- I do not understand it in detail yet. The feedback from you is help for me very much.

Is it better to improve HBR more?

• I do wish you would take NTSC/non PAL folks into consideration with future HBR development. That said the latest group of settings (which could use a name) is really good.