Personal View site logo
Top Rez 24p ONLY - FOOTAGE TEST AND SETUPS
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • Here's a screen grab from a video I took recently using the kit 14-140mm lens...24fps in cinemamode with smooth settings, -2, -2 , -2, -2. It was at a 50mm focal length outdoors at noon on a sunny day. I have the Terraquake hack installed. My subjects (my sons) were on their bikes and I tried to catch quite a bit of panning. I must've thrown 80% of the footage out due to the jello effect. The 20% I did keep looked awesome and very film-like.

arboretum(1).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 253K
  • A more productive post would be to discuss "why" certain patches and lenses are used vs asking for "the best." Out of courtesy and respect to patch developers who work hard. Again depends on the look you want - I tried a mjeg Flomotion hack from Lpowel this morning and LOVED the results. Shocked me because I remember trying Flowmotion AVCHD and thought Quantum was better. Goes to show that all these hacks are so good that the differences are quite minimal.

The best..?...hate using that term....perhaps is Quantum 9b with PL glass - Zeiss, Leica, Schneider, or Cooke - running Smooth -2,-2,0,-2 with Sandisk 95mbs memory cards - making sure to use ISO settings one row up after selecting a setting from the second row (GH2 ISO bug).

lensrentals.com or borrowlenses.com for lenses and HotRod PL adapter.

If you can't stomach the price of buying or renting the high end PL glass - rent the M4/3rd Zeiss CP2 lenses - under $200 a week - no adaptor needed as they are light enough to be used without a lens support rod. The GH2 mount can support around 4lbs without help.

http://www.zeiss.com/cine/cp2

Not much more to say really. Is there anything better?...well.. It would only be "different" - and the beauty of the GH2 is that we can use all these hacks and lenses to suit the look we want.

No trying to be a downer, but there isn't any point in posting clips - nobody would be able to tell the difference without access to the mts files anyway. Heck people are having a hard time telling GH2 footage from $60,000 Red Epic footage.

I have rented lots of PL glass so if anyone wants input on the pro's of all the big brands ill gladly toss in my opinion.

• @terry2 You wrote: "Fotodiox adapters need matte black tape on the inside surface to work well."

Tape is not dead black and can come off unnoticed. There is a really dead black paint for model airplanes from the Japanese brand Tamiya, which is great for stopping inner reflections by adapters.

• I am in agreement regarding the sound. I will personally be using GH2 primarily for music videos, so all I need is quality video. I don't even need sound as a reference as most of my videos are going to be created to preexisting recordings. A minimal sound quality patch maximum video quality patch is where I need to be.

• Haha no worries man, just referring to how you posted the exact same video twice. I'm all about the idea of the post.

• @cyfernoa The original S16 idea didn't give the hoped results. So, we changed direction and now focusing on getting the best out of the gh2 for movie configuration. You see, the idea is to be specific and only posting test, patches, settings specific for best movie setup. Example, we noticed that an advantage of using 35mm lens on the gh2 is the lower vignetting effect. Fotodiox adapters need matte black tape on the inside surface to work well. Zeiss zf2 lenses work better than 4/3 lenses when it comes to "cinematic effect". The idea is to help the coders and developers to create a 1080p avchd 10bit (even if 4:2:0 it's ok) that has maximum bitrate. Another idea would be a 2k 24p MJPEG. They could lower the sound bitrate, anyway the camera sound should be used only as reference at the most. At least the reader of this post will know clearly the room he has with this camera if he wants to push it 100% of the current possibility.

• nice double post

• We actually changed direction. This is what we achieved so far

• Hi all,

@we don't have coder capability, a macro it's easier but willing to do visual testing for a coder. @RRRR I have to rerender everything because there was an accident on the external drive with the source material. @sebben Thank you, it all started from acknowledging that an hacked gh2 cannot compete with a d65 or a genesis but it put you in a condition of creating beautiful visuals that can be used, if well lighten, to shoot an indie movie. A little as it was with s16. Besides, what matters is the story, and a touch of surreal retro' create always a vibe of nostalgia that works well in movies.

• Great work @terry2

Would be interesting if this could be developed into an FXPlug... in the future...

• @terry2 it would be nice if you posted some frames - samples from your testing so far! If you can, that is.

• Sounds fantastic.