Personal View site logo
Europe is going backwards, Germany abandon nuclear energy.
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • Nuclear technology has improved considerably; thorium reactors promise to be much safer than uranium-based water-cooled reactors, plus they can be optimized to be "breeder" reactors--producing more fuel than they use up.
  • >Nuclear plants will expand as oil price climbs up.

Interesting aspect here is price for nuclear fuel rods.
    Low price during 90s and 0s had been maintained by Russia-US agreement.
    Russia dismanted and processed nuclear weapons warheads and sell them to US companies for tiny part of real cost. All else we sell with assembled rods on different plants.
    Right now uran sources are deplated and last converted uran from warheads will be sold until 2012 as I remember.
  • Reduction in aids from developed countries since 2008 have killed more people in hunger than all casualties from recent wars & natural disasters & fukushima nuclear plants.

Nuclear plants will expand as oil price climbs up.
  • Closing of nuclear plans won't happen.
    Someone in Germany just needs to survive elections :-) Plus USA friends also advised them to go in "progressive way".
    Overall nuclear incidents are like terrorism. All are talking about them. But in the same time they ignore all real things, like car incidents, medical errors and just not helping, poverty, etc that are 10x more dangerous and more lethal.
  • >Energy splitting of the atom is the foundation of any change in the universe..
    Yes? Nuclear fusion may be... I'm happy for this decision in Germany, I hope that all country open your eyes on the future.
    >Nuclear is safe. Sort out the issue of waste, and it will be even safer.
    Yes, It is true. Until Chernobyl. Until Fukushima. Until next disaster...
    But I'm sure that you know only level 7 incident... A lot (thousand) of people dead for level 5 or 6 incident, but is better that nobody know this... search for Majak, Chalk River, Goiania, Windscale, Tallin .. and Three mile island (remember?).
    Two italians are working (seriusly) in Greece around a cold fusion power plant: this kind of research are the future, not nuclear fission: good only for bombs!
  • What is even more stupid is that this decision is 100% purely the result of an Earthquake in an Earthquake zone 5000 miles away, on the coast of Japan. What that has to do with the German nuclear power plants I don't know. Maybe they are afraid that if a butterfly flaps its wings in Brazil, the resulting tidal wave in the North Sea will come down into Bavaria and swamp their nuclear plans.

A stupid political knee-jerk decision.

Germany can do what it likes but if China also drop their plans for more nuclear plants, and go back to coal, the resulting pollution will kill millions more people than the number of people killed by nuclear power disasters throughout history.

Nuclear is safe. Sort out the issue of waste, and it will be even safer.