Personal View site logo
GH2 driftwood hack in shootout with Canon C300
  • 471 Replies sorted by
  • 4:2:0 -> "nuts" (PB words for GH2) for details :-)
    may because pany (+ vk hack) did some good work...
  • @rozroz
    just googled: canon c300 is mpeg2 4:2:2 50 mb/s
  • Oversampling is a great thing. ;) I've always thought that the GH2 might actually resolve a true 1080 lines under the right situations.
  • @magnifico
    thanks.
    well we'll have to suffer some color banding for 700$ :(
  • sry - i mean

> in post to make the conversion from 420 to 444 . . . 5DtoRGB . . . etc.<<br />
    this is bullshit: 420 remain 420 forever
  • I have to say I am surprised at the Nex 5N--mushy and intrusive stair-stepping.
  • @DrDave: Same here! The first stuff I saw from it looked really good, but here it was rather dull to be honest.

After this I can proudly stick with my GH2. Oh and @PhilipBloom, nice to see you around this forum!
  • The GH2 footage in that latest shootout is simply astounding. I honestly couldn’t believe my eyes. The biggest surprise came from the AF100, though (albeit to me the highlights seem a tad blown out).
  • I was not suprised by the 5N. From the time I first seen its video I knew it was way off (in terms of resolution when compared to the GH-2). But the Nikon suprised the heck out of me. I thought it would have looked a whole lot better than what it did. Outside of it's known colored moire and aliasing issues I always dug its moving pictures. But in retrospect I think maybe that had more to do with the individual pieces that I seen shot and nothing to do with the camera.

• Yeah, I also just looked up the video from Mr. Bloom ...and was shocked :)
  • The Nikon was sort of Blah--also a surprise. But the 5N, unacceptable. Dear Sony, get help.
  • Wow Wow Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the GH2 kicked some ass in detail, IMO GH2 won.. a $700 camera Wow... Here is the crazy part if you shoot a movie, or music video with an F3, C300, or GH2 no one will tell the difference so I rest my case GH2 for the WIN.. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • @TrackZillas "Here is the crazy part if you shoot a movie, or music video with an F3, C300, or GH2 no one will tell the difference so I rest my case GH2 for the WIN.. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!"

+1

Is the C300 better on paper? Yes. Are the images noticeable better in reality? Nope. That's why I was so disappointed with the C300. It should have been the 18mp 7D sensor with dual DigicV's doing a proper downscale and 60fps at 4:2:2 10-bit for $4500. And that isn't crazy or exaggerated... that's a pretty reasonable spec/price list given the quality of $800 cameras these days.

I mean seriously... phones are doing 1080p video now. Anything that falls short of 10-bit 4:2:2 and 60fps for over $5000 is going to be a joke this year.
  • Hum shootout is not finished yet..
  • Is there anything out there now that's $5,000 that does 10 bit 422 60fps with a large sensor?
  • FS100 comes close to that but as you can see from shootout, GH2 is not far off considering it costs 10x less. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!
  • @brianluce "Is there anything out there now that's $5,000 that does 10 bit 422 60fps with a large sensor?"

Nope... not really. FS1000 is close like @EOSHD said. But there's just nothing that's going to pry $5000 out of my hands now unless it's 10bit 4:2:2 and 60fps.
  • "there's just nothing that's going to pry $5000 out of my hands now unless it's 10bit 4:2:2 and 60fps."

exactly!
  • @bwhitz Great point.. the image is not better, and if it's not 10bit 422 for around $5000 it's a no go lol...
  • Actually, if there was a camera that would dramatically help work-flow and give similar abilities like the gh2 live (lossless / raw output) then that could well be worth $5000. Greater color depth and increased high fps possibilities would obviously make for good icing on the cake.
  • @bwhitz: +1.
    Love the C300. Its cosmetically awesome (to me). But i also feel the high ISO performance will be commonplace for the next gen dSLRs. Thats the selling point right now and its a short window.
  • My reality check of the day was seeing @eoshd blind comparison including the GH2 where no one could pick the point-and-shoot cam. I'll be keeping the GH2 and using the P&S for the B cam I guess.
    http://www.eoshd.com/content/6670/test-scene-name-the-camera
  • @DrDave I think almost everybody correctly identified the GH2 in that comparison, because it was lightyears better than everything else. The difficulty was in deciding which of the other inferior samples was from the P&S and which were from the other DSLRs.
  • Still is Epic P&S ID fail. Also the GH2 image has the strongest contrast, so it had a tell. I picked the noisiest one as the P&S, which it wasn't.
  • Guys, really, stop playing this games.
    This whole shootout and games around it don't deserve even 5 seconds of your attention.
    I mean the concept, not the really great work @drifftwood have done.