gh2 hack.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    canons3crop.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    sonysf100crop.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    gh2hackcrop.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • There is just something I don't like about the fine detail of the C300 and FS100. Looks very digital.

edit: just watched the video and the FS100 looked fine. Surprised that I actually liked the look of it so much. The C300 has good resolution for sure... but it still has that "digital detail" look that my XHA1 and XF100 had.
  • image quality-wise,
    i pick..err..... the GH2 :p
    AF101 owners should sell theirs and buy...
    how many GH2's? around 7?
  • The AF101 looks terrible. I really don't like the image of that thing. Also: he messed up the titles with the 7D, as they say AF101 after he introduced the 7D. Minor detail.
  • Yes sorry! I was very tired, finished it at 6am this morning. Fixed version now uploading. GH2 did brilliantly in this resolution test.

Kind of hypocritical to say this as this whole shootout is about it, remember pixel peeping will make you go blind and give you hairy palms! After shooting and editing this my palms are hairier than my back currently! Time to find a razor! :)
  • The AF101's look is very disappointing. I remember really looking forward to it whilst in my Letus+HPX171 phase, refusing to shoot DSLR...until I discovered the GH2.
  • @PhilipBloom and others:

The amount of detail in GH2 picture is mindblowing! Its nuts! I´m buying another GH2 right now.. Its not about pixel peeping but this is brilliant! And thank you Philip for this real word tests.. keep on doing that :-))
  • Good l'ill test, GH2 does do rather well. :-) Thanks @PhilipBloom for including the hack in the test. We came out well considering you used the LOW setting!!!!
  • Don't understand why people are still using 7D
    GH2 is way nicer in this test
    The 5N and D700 looks awful....

Can't wait for part 2 ;-)
  • Wow, GH2 pocket rocket! (thus far)

In that regard, thanks to @Vitaliy_Kiselev for PTool 3.63d which provides the magic to extend the GH2's capabilities, and @driftwood for providing one of the amazing patches that are being shared on this forum. Cheers @PhilipBloom
  • @PhilipBloom
    I can understand you missed a little detail. Looking forward to the skintones and low-light tests.
  • yes, lowlight the GH2 seems to do alright, but color is where it can get awful bad if you're not careful. Decidedly green in most cases.

@PhillipBloom: http://www.amazon.com/Boker-Boker-Damascus-Straight-Razor/dp/B00192T88S
  • @PhilipBloom
    thx for this funny and serious shootout :-)
    I am waiting for low light tests.

ps: please give Driftwood a call for him to explain how to avoid low settings for gh2.
    hmm razor, good idea :-)
    thx pany vk! pb
  • Considering condition of test it is a little pitty since there are clouds and light is not the same for all these shots. The force of zacuto tests is "same condition" with girls doing same things in front of amera. Pb, you need more tripods and geek helpers :-)
    I pp and noticed some good details for gh2 at the wall on the left compared to fs100.
    I noticed some clipped highlight for gh2: see the little house and the red letters...
    My 0.002 $
  • @magnifico
    You do understand he clearly mentions that this was a unscientific test? That's why he made mention in the video that the cloud conditions were consistently changing. It was not a dynamic range test but only a resolution test..so...clipped highlights are not really the focus here.
  • in the straight resolution detail test, the gh2 absolutely smoked most of the cameras. Even Bloom had to stop and say "this is nuts" when staring at the detail rich image.

It wasn't even pixel peeping, it was obvious.

The fact he did this at the low quantum setting is a huge verification of all the work driftwood and V and all of us have been doing.

I doubt the gh2 will do as well in the upcoming tests. We are know there can be color tinting issues. It will hold its own.

• I know this part of test is about details, but sorry I couldn't help my self from looking at dynamic range...
    But i think here that every analysis of the videos should be welcome.
    It is interesting to know how people are perceiving images.
    May be clipped highlights, some lack of dr have some "bad" consequence on details in the brightest parts...

Even it is "unscientific" it is worth to give some argumentation about the initial conditions for each shooting. I think Pb does this shootout with his own means so no blame here ok? just some warning about our way for commenting these shots :-)

• GH2 did well here and although I am sure it will get buggered in the low light test by the C300, remember the secret weapons for low light shooting on the GH2. 1... F0.95 on the Voigtlander. 2... Avoid under exposure at all costs even if you have to ramp the ISO up to 3200 and the shutter to 1/25, do it. When the exposure is OK the GH2 can do nice results even at ISO 12,800 with a nice fine grain.

Nikon's video will get better, the Expeed 3 chip in the J1 isn't too bad, although it doesn't compare to the GH2 it is an improvement for video on the D7000 for sure.
  • Does anyone know which firmware version Bloom was using wit the Driftwood hack?

I mainly want to know if the Driftwood hack works under firmware 1.1.
  • Philip used Quantum v5. He's just tweeted me to say he did indeed use the H setting for the one in the film.
  • GH2 Driftwood FTW! Despite his on-camera comments about card speed and L mode, I suspect Philip was able to shoot the GH2 in H mode since he titled the clip 176mbps. If that was the 70mbps low mode I'm truly amazed.
  • @all

"papalapap" (BullShit) 4:2:0 remains 4:2:0 forever . . .
  • @butt-
    but all of these cameras are 4:2:0, no?
    what can you do?
    what do you prefer, 4:2:0 for 700$? or for 15000$?