Personal View site logo
25-100mm T2.9 Laowa OOOM Cine Lightweight Zoom

Laowa OOOM Cine lightweight zoom is the first professional cinema style zoom lens offered by Venus Optics.
    The lens features a wide 25-100mm zoom range, making it a one-size-fits-all lens for different types of productions.

Unlike some cine lens in the market which were re-engineered from a photo zoom lens, Laowa OOOM Cine series is designed for digital cinematography in the first place. It is truly parfocal, meaning the focus will never shift when you zoom in or zoom back out. It is designed to have nearly zero focus breathing throughout the whole zoom range. The aperture remains fixed at t/2.9 at all focal lengths.

It is built with the true cinema level mechanics. It comes with a stepless, t-stop independent aperture ring with an industry standard 0.8 mod /32 pitch gears.  The 270° rotation flow provides room or precise focus pulls and the iris is clickless, enabling smooth iris pulls. The lens weighs only 2.16 pounds, which is fairly light for a cinema zoom that holds focus and aperture throughout the focal length range.

• 40 Replies sorted by
  • Price, Availability, # Blades, Mounts, any electronics or VR... small little details may help, but sounds interesting enough

• Well I guess it doesnt have VR and electronics since it's a proper cine lens. Mount could be a pl

• Will it have swappable mounts so you can use it across a wide range of cameras? And of course most importantly.... price?

• apsc only though, the range is good for portraits and interviews I guess

• Focal Length 25-100mm
    • Max. Aperture t/2.9
    • Min. Aperture t/22
    • Angle of View 18° (100mm) – 64° (25m)
    • Format Compatibility Super35
    • Lens Structure 20 elements 16 groups
    • Aperture Blades 9
    • Min. Focusing Distance 60cm
    • Max. Magnification 1:4
    • Filter Thread –
    • Dimensions TBC
    • Weight ~2.5kg
    • Mounts PL
  • It is good reason they want to go into this niche.

Cinema zooms share top margin position with large aperture primes.

• As it is from Venus Optics it has got to be "cheap"

If it is US$1K then I'd buy it!! But probably more like US$3K is my guess

Which if I was still camera dept focused, then I'd probably do it? But no way I could justify that now

I've noticed URSA Mini 4.6K PL (NOT Pro) sells for a lot cheaper than the EF version

Exactly because of this cost factor of PL lenses

But I reckon if you pair it with this lens plus a Chinese converted Sigma 18-35mm (the f1.8 then has you covered for low light, & the 18mm has you covered for wiiide. The two areas this lens lacks) you'd be sorted

Although of course here I am talking with my business hat on rather than my artist hat

We don't even know how the lens looks yet

Just I know 25-100mm T2.9 lightweight zoom would be hella practical for many low to mid level budget shoots

Even TV series shoot (with budgets per hour far higher than I've ever managed as DP!) on zooms! Because it is what is economical

And it is on exactly zoom ranges like this. Perhaps with something like a 16-40mm Optimo on the other camera. You'd do 16mm and 25mm for the wide establishments , then punch in to 40mm and 80mm for the close up coverage

• Our photo from Photokina, thanks to Igor and our team

sa4843.jpg
    800 x 572 - 79K
  • Thanks Igor and team, but that's the wrong lens description card!

• (skip to 4:30)

Just for reference, used vintage Cooke & Angenieux Zooms in this range go for much less than $10,000.
    (I'm referring to the Cooke 18-100, Cooke 20-100, Angenieux 20-120) If ever I get a chance to test & compare all of them in the near future...!!!

• you can just buy a konica 28-100mm f2.8 for less than 200 bucks and that lens is full frame

• @pureaxis you mean the Konica 35-100mm f2.8, not as wide & varifocal.

• Ah, so they're going to bring it out in EF mount.

I really really really hope that the mount is swappable between EF and PL mount! Would be perfect for Venus Optic's target market for this lens.

• OUCH! I just heard in the interview that the Laowa 25-100mm T2.9 will be around US$10K. I see little chance at it being majorly successful at that price point? Needs to drop down massively in price!

• @IronFilm

Well, it is APS-C only zoom.

May be they want to aim at internal Chinese market, and know that it'll be even more huge fees on top brands (they are already very big!).

• 10,000?? now way. They won't sell it against the Zeiss 21-100

• @peaceonearth

With 100-200% fees of imported lenses that can follow soon... Easy (on their own market).

Such fees already can be in the ballpark of 50-70%.

• 10,000?? now way. They won't sell it against the Zeiss 21-100

Well the Zeiss is a slower T2.9-3.9

But then again that extra 21mm wide vs 25mm is very nice! (as even 21mm isn't wide enough)

I felt the biggest competition is the Fujinon MK 18-55mm f2.8, if they can offer this (similar ish price, but a bit different range) but in swappable PL/EF mount (instead of mirrorless only) then Venus Optics would have had a real shot at success.

• Unless he's talking HK dollars: $10,000HK = $1,277.73US
    One can only hope!

• @fosterchen

We have our own interview that will publish soon.

And he clearly said "around 10000 US dollars".

sa5059.jpg
    800 x 588 - 70K
    sa5060.jpg
    800 x 596 - 84K
  • Unless he's talking HK dollars: $10,000HK = $1,277.73US

I'd hope so! I'd seriously buy two then.

And he clearly said "around 10000 US dollars".

Hopes dashed :-(

• 100% tariffs....give a whole new meaning to take a vacation when there is an airfare round trip or tour sale from US to Hong Kong.