Personal View site logo
Atomos Ninja V
  • 57 Replies sorted by
  • Levels issues

• This is exciting news for any slightly more professional shoots who are either using multiple cameras and/or an external audio recorder, as Atomos is partnering with TCS to use their :blink network with their AtomX Sync module.

https://www.timecodesystems.com/products-home/blink/

Now all your stills cameras (such as the Nikon Z6) that are recording 10bit externally will have flawlessly done timecode (without needing to do any Aux LTC to TC conversion in post).

I'm personally especially happy about this news, because Timecode Systems is one of the two brands I'm invested in! Thus the Atomos Ninja V will be compatible with my existing kit.

• Atomos Press Release: Shipping and New Modules

IBC 2018: Atomos Ninja V ready to ship, innovative new AtomX Sync and AtomX Ethernet/NDI modules announced

Melbourne, Australia – 13 September 2018 – Atomos is delighted to announce that the highly anticipated Ninja V 4k HDR monitor/recorder is in mass production and on schedule to reach stores before the end of the month – fulfilling our commitment to deliver in Q3. The all new 5" 4kp60 HDR monitor recorder has unrivalled features in a sleek, compact and extremely light form factor that is perfect for mirrorless cameras, DSLRs and gaming consoles.

The 10-bit mirrorless revolution The timing of shipment coincides with the launch of several new mirrorless cameras with 4k 10-bit HDMI output and Log gammas that partner perfectly with the Ninja V. The new Canon EOS R, Nikon Z6 and Z7 and Fujifilm X-T3 now join the Panasonic GH5 and GH5S in taking full advantage of the Ninja V 4k 10-bit 422 recording to Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHR. The results from the Ninja V and these cameras are extraordinary, with billions of shades of color for smooth gradients and better grading in all NLEs.

New AtomX modules under $199 – the most flexible ecosystem in Pro Video Modularity is at the heart of the Ninja V with a bi-directional high-speed expansion port breaking out connectivity for I/O of video, audio and power. Atomos created AtomX to ensure users could adapt and connect to any legacy or future wireless or wired video standard. The expansion system offers endless scalability and is demonstrated by the first of many modules - the AtomX Ethernet/NDI® $199 and the AtomX Sync $149 announced today. These dock into the AtomX port and instantly add important features like NDI® over ethernet and Wireless Sync and Bluetooth control to the Ninja V.

Atomos are proud to expand their close partner program with Newtek for the NDI® module and Timecode Systems for Wireless and Bluetooth sync module.

The AtomX Ethernet/NDI module has a wired ethernet (1 GigE) connector that makes it possible to deliver live broadcast-grade video over IP networks. Newtek’s NDI technology harnesses this - allowing for simple installation and control of multi-camera networks, replacing traditional SDI cabling. The AtomX Ethernet/NDI module has NDI input and output with encode, decode, control and sync, allowing Ninja V users to transmit, distribute or receive and monitor NDI from any NDI source. Simply power on the Ninja V with AtomX Ethernet/NDI module installed, plug in your network cable, and your source will be automatically discovered on the NDI network ready for production.

The AtomX Sync module brings professional wireless timecode, genlock and Bluetooth control to Ninja V, perfect for enhancing DSLRs, mirrorless cameras or game recordings. You can sync and/or control literally thousands of Ninja V units equipped with AtomX Sync modules on the same network at ranges of up to 300m. Multi-cam shoots have never been so easy. AtomX modules bring broadcast level standards to any HDMI camera or source, making it easy to integrate large sensor consumer cameras easily into traditional live productions. AtomX Sync has a built-in battery extender that allows for continuous power when swapping batteries, ensuring uninterrupted operation of the Ninja V during a shoot.

• Caleb got a Ninja V to mess with finally. Seems like good pairing for the Z6. It's really not much more expensive than a good monitor to be able to record 4K60 10-bit Prores.

• @eatstoomuchjam that micro studio thing has no built-in recording! You can't use it without an external recorder (which implies some sort of rig), so it has none of the form factor advantages RX0 has.

Yes I'd much rather have the Micro Cinema Camera instead! Even though "only" HD

• @radikalfilm Well, the RX0 only records 4:2:0 1080p internally and you were looking at that as well so I thought you were planning to use an external recorder. Anyway, I was answering this question of your with my response:

BTW is there a compact camera (any brand) with a built-in zoom lens that has 10bit output?

That's why I mentioned it doesn't have a zoom lens, but that you can get a cheap one with sufficient quality.

If you want a compact camera of that size that can record 4K internally and can handle it being 4:2:0, then you're already on the right track with the RX100. Otherwise, the Z-Cam can do it, but it's still a headache to use.

• @eatstoomuchjam that micro studio thing has no built-in recording! You can't use it without an external recorder (which implies some sort of rig), so it has none of the form factor advantages RX0 has.

@markr041 I gather you're an owner. I spent some time today watching reviews. It has some strong points to be sure, but I'll wait for Mk2. Two fails as is: 1. No internal 4K 2. Overheating

If Sony follows up and fixes those, I can see myself taking a couple of them on set. This is a tight quarters camera, for shots where the A-cam doesn't fit or you don't want to risk damaging it.

Your gimbal+RX0+Ninja V setup makes no sense for me, just so you get 422 10bit 4K. Not worth the hassle. You still need to plug in sound, so it becomes a frankenrig. This is not meant as A-cam! Get a PXW-Z90 for A-cam (same sensor), or wait for the BM Pocket 4K if you must have 10bit.

• @radikalfilm It doesn't have a built-in zoom lens, but you can change the lenses on the Black Magic Micro Studio Camera 4K which is very small and it outputs 4-bit 4:2:2. You could pair it with something like the Olympus 14-42mm power zoom which is also tiny (and it only like $200). It's not the best lens in the universe, but it's probably sufficient for anything you'd be using such a small camera to shoot.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137295-REG/blackmagic_design_cinstudmft_uhd_mr_micro_studio_cinema_camera.html

• There is a changeable faceplate with a standard screw on thread precisely for ND filters or polarizers or close-up filters. I forget the mm, but it's a standard size. Comes with lens shade and uv filter (for protection if not using a filter).

Mounted on a small gimbal, attached to the tiny Ninja V via HDMI and you have stabilized 4K 422 10bit video (Slog2 for HDR) in a small rig!

• Hmm. We're off-topic wrt to the thread, but since we're there already: what's the use case for RX0? It's not an action cam (needs gimbal). Starts at f/4 so outside cam but watch the lighting (has ND attachment?).

Underwater cam maybe? I read the IQ is awesome compared to Hero6, but since it doesn't have internal stabilization they don't compare well. I might care for it if I understand the use case over a RX100.

Edit: since it syncs in a fleet of RX0's I guess it's meant for fly-on-the-wall shots, in tight corners or rough environs. It won't replace but complement a RX100, just like RX100 would complement my PXW-Z90.

• That "answer" on Amazon was not from the manufacturer, unlike some other answers, but quoted from a private blog site.

10bit 422 via HDMI on the Atomos site, 420 8bit internal. And it was tested. It is a specialized camera indeed. No other Sony compact camera for sure has 10bit output.

• I didn't know RX0 was a thing. Looking it up now. Edit: Q&A on Amazon says RX0 HDMI output is 8bit 422. I have no use for the form factor anyway, and the lens starts at f/4.

BTW is there a compact camera (any brand) with a built-in zoom lens that has 10bit output?

• No. I meant the Sony RX0, not any RX100. It is the only camera with this spec. See the description of its HDMI output on the Atomos web site. It was also confirmed by someone on the EOSHD forum.

• @markr041 you referenced RX0 (I assume you mean all revisions of RX100) as having 10 bit output over HDMI. Could you link to independent confirmation? I don't dispute it, it will be a factor in deciding to buy a RX100 VA, which records 420 8bit internally.

• I would think that there would be an SDI addon module that attaches to the expansion port, not a separate version with SDI.

• Any one heard anything about rumors of a SDI version coming out this year??

• I could see there being a cable to connect the expansion port to proprietary LCD connector on EVA1 to get video, audio, and power and maybe for the ProRes Raw. Seeing as how they have several promo photos of this with the GH5 and Atomos CEO said to push and scream at camera manufacturers to add raw out on their hdmi cameras, I wonder if the hardware on the GH5 and GH5s would allow raw out over HDMI. @Vitaliy_Kiselev do you know if this is physically possibly with just a firmware update?

• And if you buy the A6300, you'd be able to do two-camera setups instead of just one. :)