Personal View site logo
Samsung NX2 with 6K Strange Rumor
  • High-end Samsung NX2 APS-C camera based on Exynos 9810 SoC.

I got to play with something insane today. Samsung Mobile (who took over the camera division) retrofitted an NX1 with a new APS-C sensor and Exynos 9810 SoC, which is rumored to launch in the Samsung S9.

30,1 megapixels sensor (6720*4480) which is stacked (3-stack FRS) ISOCELL with Tetracell and dual-pixel AF. Extremely fast readout combined with 4K 120fps h/265 encode capability enable impressive framerates

• Full sensor (6720*4480) @ 30fps
    • 5376*3024 @ 60fps
    • 3840*2160 @ 120fps
    • 2688*1512 @ 240fps
    • 1920*1080 @ 480fps

Up to 120fps should be full sensor read-out, 2.7K and 1080p at higher frame-rates is 2×2 pixel binning and then down-sampling (so full width of sensor is used up to 480fps (!).

15fps burst with mechanical shutter, 30fps RAW with electronic shutter. Practically no read-out noise so extremely ISO invariant (thanks to ISOCELL’s deep trench isolation). AF is insane with combination of dual-pixel and ‘Super PD’, which is regular in-sensor phase detection.

All features of Exynos 9810 are enabled (except a small part of GPU), so a huge amount of in-camera processing power, optional LTE-connectivity with eSIM, GNSS (GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou) for location tagging, SD 3.0 with UHS-II support for memory cards (up to 300 MB/s), Bluetooth 5 for continuous low-power connection and 802.11ac with 2×2 MIMO for fast image- and video transfer. USB 3.1 Type-C with DP enabled for uncompressed output up to 5K 30fps and 4K 60fps. There is a PCIe 3.0 x2 bus left if they decide to add something like a CFexpress card-slot, or Thunderbolt 3 or 10GbE.

Very impressive software feature was accelerometer-based shutter. You press the shutter, and the accelerometer registers the G-forces (acceleration). Then it takes a picture when the X- and Y-acceleration are closest to 0 and the Z-acceleration is closest to 1 (natural gravity). Doesn’t work perfect (you can still move without accelerating), but I was able to double to triple my handheld shutter-speed, so that means at least a stop lower ISO. Delay between pressing and shooting is about half a second, so it’s not for sports. They are working to also implement the gyroscopic data to pick the moment with the least amount of roll. This feature makes is probably to the S9.

Like I said, it’s a prototype, based on a NX1, and they don’t know yet if it will ever hit the market, but if it does it will be at least as ground breaking as the original NX1 (they were thinking about a few extra things (variable ND, IBIS, HBM2-buffer), but hey, research is expensive and upper management).

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/good-true-high-end-samsung-aps-c-camera-based-exynos-9810-soc/

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • variable ND

YES PLEASE!!!

• Man, I was just thinking yesterday about how great the NX1 was and how the used prices have gone up, and what a bummer that was, and now this? Release the hounds!

• @DrDave

Prices on NX500 and NX1 actually showed that it was Samsung marketing and distribution who are to blame.

• Yeah but used prices on eBay have been steadily rising, I mean that is really rare for an old digital camera.

• Yeah but used prices on eBay have been steadily rising, I mean that is really rare for an old digital camera.

Supply vs demand.

Supply is fixed, no more being made! (in fact supply would be decreasing, as ones get broken/lost/whatever)

Yet demand is remaining surprisingly strong for its age.

Because if a Sony a7000 or Fujifilm XT-3 (or a new Nikon mirrorless) was released with those specs it would still be a strong contender even in 2018!

sa1907.jpg
    697 x 369 - 26K
  • @Vitaliy Cryptic photo!! Do you think that it's about NX2?

• It's a joke, from the S9 ad.

• What dreams are made of

• And more rumors about a Samsung mirrorless relaunch? I have an nx500 + nx15-50mm 2.0-2.8. Ebay prices are schizophrenic. People asking $1500 for bodies and over a grand for the glass.

• @brianl

Samsung latest bodies and top lenses had been best investment :-)

I am sure towards 2025 someone will discover that image they made had been especially warm and film like and you will be able to buy small house selling such body.

• @brianl

Seriously, what ebay are you talking about? I can find offers like $500 for used nx500 bodies (ebay) and there's even one with 16-50 kit for $400 (local ad).

Samsung cameras are as bad an investment as every other camera brand and unless they start manufacturing new models, in 2025 nobody's gonna remember they ever released a serious camera :P