Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5 V 2.0 and up firmware topic
  • 96 Replies sorted by
  • Wants H.265 hack for my cheapo G7.

• I got weird color shifting when I first tryout the MP4 HEVC HLG,
    not related to white balance as I use default all the time,

the problem is gone after I reset the camera.

• FFMPEG HEVC Encoding examples;-

GOP12 Long Gop with B Frames (old school style) ffmpeg -y -i /Volume/Drive/input filename.MP4 -c:v libx265 -x265-params keyint=12:min-keyint=12:scenecut=12:bframes=2:level=5.2:crf=16 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -color_primaries bt2020 -colorspace bt2020_ncl -color_trc arib-std-b67 -c:a aac -b:a 128k /Volume/Drive/output filename.MP4

GOP12 100M Avg bitrate with B Frames ffmpeg -y -i /Volume/Drive/input filename.MP4 -c:v libx265 -x265-params keyint=12:min-keyint=12:scenecut=12:bframes=2:level=5.2:crf=12 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -color_primaries bt2020 -colorspace bt2020_ncl -color_trc arib-std-b67 -c:a aac -b:a 128k /Volume/Drive/output filename.MP4

GOP12 X265 with P frames only (no B frames)crf14 ffmpeg -y -i /Volume/Drive/input filename.MP4 -c:v libx265 -x265-params keyint=12:min-keyint=12:scenecut=12:bframes=0:level=5.2:crf=14 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -color_primaries bt2020 -colorspace bt2020_ncl -color_trc arib-std-b67 -c:a aac -b:a 128k /Volume/Drive/output filename.MP4

Still experimenting with settings...

• Wait wait. Driftwood Are you playing with encoder settings?

On camera or... Hack like style?

• So far this morning, Lexar 1000x 150MBs seem to be working on complex scenes (lots of trees and leaves and water), for both the full anamorphic mode and the cine 4k 400mbs mode. I have gotten a card write speed error message twice, but it seemed to be just after hitting record maybe too soon after I had finished recording the last file.

• My 2000x Lexar UHS-II SDXC cards work in 400Mbps .

• I don't have a 4k monitor, so, I can only watch these clips in 1080p. But, is everyone else seeing the pulsing of the focus on the license plate in the 2nd video? It is terribly distracting. I assume AF-C was active? I have been considering upgrading to a GH5, but, the 2nd clip makes me wonder? I rented a G85 in April for a family vacation and it was GREAT for our style of clips. The IBIS was great, and it was nice to have much less cropping in 4K. I'd love to have 4k/60p, since our primary use will be for swim meets, and that allows nice smooth slow motion.

I guess I'll have to RENT a GH5 for a weekend meet to decide if it is worth the extra cost compared to the G85.

• Ok, I don't know if I'm reading this correctly, but Anamorphic mode should now (based on http://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/lumix/gh5_firmware.html) be able to do 6k (4992x3744) in 4:2:2 sampling.

Tried a test outside, and output H265 file shows up as being 4:2:0? In camera menu it also does not show 4:2:2 either? Typo? Or am I doing something wrong?

@endotoxic I believe Driftwood is playing with FFMPEG decoding settings to try to pull as much colour information out of the video as possible.

Side note: Welcome back Mr. Driftwood!

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 2.15.23 pm.jpg
    1515 x 993 - 407K
    Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 2.15.50 pm.jpg
    948 x 528 - 132K
  • @alcomposer That seems to be a typo in the Panasonic web page. Page 3 of this Panasonic specifications update PDF lists the 4992x3744 anamorphic mode as 10-bit 4:2:0 (HEVC): http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/share2/eww/en/dsc/fts/pdf/GH5_V20_ENG.pdf

I'm pretty sure it's the same recording format as the 4:3 aspect ratio 6K photo mode (which was also 200 Mbps 10-bit 4:2:0 HEVC). I don't think there are any 4:2:2 recording modes in HEVC/H.265, all of the 4:2:2 recording modes are H.264.

• @davedv, well I was excited for all of about 10 minutes. :-( However I am happy with tripod stabilisation mode! (could have used this the other day)

• Test with 2 GH5s side by side with the 35-100mm V1 vs V2 firmware.

• Anyone care to share any 6K HEVC footage from the open-gate feature in real-production V2.0?

• We paid to get a log profile. Now HLG is free, and seems to do better for certain situations...

• @davjd

Something tells me we'll see V-LOG v2.0 fixed and improved, $199 price

• Can we load custom LUT's in camera for HLG yet? Such as being able to view false colour?

• 6k open gate mode anamorphic on 64 gb lexar 1000

open gate aswell and the 400 all-I recorded 40 minutes on 256gb lexar 1000

• LOL thats weird ! hope panasonic will made it more easy...

For the ones like me that holding camera with one hand accidentally pushes display button

• Good tutorial how to grade HLG?

• Settings problem: Installed V2 two days ago. Have been testing different things. Then I realised that my AF settings had stoped to work. Continues autofokus did not work any longer. It worked in my first tests, and I do not know wht I have changed. Did not want to reset my settings. Tried different things. Then I chnged the camera frequency from pal to 24 and then back again. Now all my old settings an custom settings seams to work.

• ...haircut...

• :-(
    Still no manual focus capability when AFC is selected. I wish I could use manual focus when AFL is engaged or AF-ON is not engaged.

• My new SD cards showed up today. My couple of limited experiments with a Delkin V60 card have been successful - it seems to be able to record continuously at 400mb/s.