Personal View site logo
Capitalism: Cryptocurrency scam in charts

Land of fools awaits you, just bring us your money.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • Why didn't the mafiosi think of this before? Invent an invisible currency which is deflationary so punters see its value going up and want to cash in!

"Hey Mugsy! Dis is better dan de numbers racket!"

• @goanna

Because means of production had not been developed yet to such degree :-)

• Well they've certainly made sure no poor people can mine their own on their laptop. The energy costs alone put it into the realm of the rich - and it's largely financed by the price increase making it worthwhile. Even if a $2,000 coin costs them $1,950 to produce it's now worth burning all that coal. (Does anybody believe they care about renewables?)

• The energy costs alone put it into the realm of the rich - and it's largely financed by the price increase making it worthwhile. Even if a $2,000 coin costs them $1,950 to produce it's now worth burning all that coal. (Does anybody believe they care about renewables?)

It is all even worse. Now all main mining farms buy electricity not only on wholesale prices, but on special agreements that is below wholesale prices (sometimes near zero price possible at deep night and other periods).

Energy waste on it already become enormous, I made post about it.

• The chart looks to me like the market is naturally growing and diversifying from Bitcoin proper. Many of these new currencies will fail and fall away, but a large number will continue to grow because the create true utility through better ways to do things we already do and ways to do new things we could never do before.

Proof of Work cryptos like Bitcoin are very energy and processor intensive, but newer Proof of Stake cryptos don't have that same problem.

Many of the smaller cryptos are still able to be mined or staked to provide income and wealth opportunities to a lot of people at lower ends of the economic scale if they have (or can acquire) the knowledge. Crypto is arguably far more inclusive than the existing economic system in terms of offering opportunities for economic growth.

• create true utility through better ways to do things we already do and ways to do new things we could never do before.

How so exactly? It is much slower, much less capable than simple approach we had in 70s even.

Thing that you see is cancer growing as capitalism need to continue debt rise, this is just another form.

Proof of Work cryptos like Bitcoin are very energy and processor intensive, but newer Proof of Stake cryptos don't have that same problem.

They have much worse problem.

Many of the smaller cryptos are still able to be mined or staked to provide income and wealth opportunities to a lot of people at lower ends of the economic scale if they have (or can acquire) the knowledge. Crypto is arguably far more inclusive than the existing economic system in terms of offering opportunities for economic growth.

I like words like "wealth opportunities". Growing potatoes or making bikes are "income and wealth opportunities". This one is scam and income redistribution form people who really make useful thing sand services.

• There are still small cryptos that people could earn an incremental income from just by leaving their computer running the node when not otherwise in use. Even older, out of use computers sitting on a high shelf could be used this way in some smaller currencies. Frankly, it's a great and under-used way that people could be bettering their finances.

But yes, it is wasting a ton of electricity right now. There's no arguing that.

• There are still small cryptos that people could earn an incremental income from just by leaving their computer running the node when not otherwise in use. Even older, out of use computers sitting on a high shelf could be used this way in some smaller currencies. Frankly, it's a great and under-used way that people could be bettering their finances.

Still there are lot of places where people can get knife and earn an incremental income from passing citizens, just be walking few hours after work. Even old fucks and ladies can use this method if they deal with disabled persons. It is great and under-used way that people could be bettering their finances.

See. I just made it fully clear what you offering. Thing what they do not use knife does not make it different. As nothing is produced it is stealing from others. Just dandy style.

• Vitaliy, you are clearly a very smart and technologically savvy person. I hesitate to try to teach you anything about technology. But on this point, if you honestly aren't aware of the very real improvements that crypto allows over current methods, or the new structures that it invents, then I am not the person to explain it to you. I encourage you to turn your very bright mind to looking at it. I think you'll change your opinion.

PoS coins may have some other negatives, but they are certainly more energy efficient and more accessible for participating in through 'staking' than leading PoW currencies are through 'mining'.

Crypto is not a scam. It creates true additional value in the same way that growing potatoes does. You can't eat everything. Certainly, there are many scams and there will also be many well intentioned failures within the crypto community, but as a whole, it is real and beneficial.

A new invention does not need to be perfect in order to be valuable, it just needs to be better than the current solution, and crypto is certainly better than the current fiat currency and banking system in many important ways. On top of that, crypto is evolving very quickly and addressing its issues faster than traditional banking or finance. So there's great reason to hope that it will outgrow some of its current shortcomings.

• Funny point VK, but I think you're willfully misunderstanding. Why don't we check in on this in 5 years and see how our opinions have evolved on the matter then.

• Vitaliy, you are clearly a very smart and technologically savvy person. I hesitate to try to teach you anything about technology. But on this point, if you honestly aren't aware of the very real improvements that crypto allows over current methods, or the new structures that it invents, then I am not the person to explain it to you. I encourage you to turn your very bright mind to looking at it. I think you'll change your opinion.

I know a lot of thing about crypto scam. How it works, proposed advantages and implementations limits.

In present form it is 100% scam, and much more dangerous than Ponzi scheme scam, as it also waste resources.

Yes, it is very hard to be against crowd and mass media pressure. But you should do it if it is right.

Funny point VK, but I think you're willfully misunderstanding. Why don't we check in on this in 5 years and see how our opinions have evolved on the matter then.

My opinions are most of the time spot on, unfortunately. Because I base them on strong foundation and logic.