Personal View site logo
Google: Wants money, but afraid
  • This year Google want to finally start enforcing manufacturers to certify (read - get their cut for nothing) all devices that will have access to Play Market. One part of Google wants it.

But they have little, no, big problem. Huge number of existing and sold phones are still out of their free money gaining scheme. And you can't turn off market for them, as your losses will be many times more than gains.

So, present idea is to architect some kind of extortion scheme by targeting new phones and offering special "discounts" for 1-2 years.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Wow - Snapchat market value over 40 billion. I thought the owner was an idiot for not cashing out at 3 billion. Guess I was wrong !

• Wow - Snapchat market value over 40 billion. I thought the owner was an idiot for not cashing out at 3 billion. Guess I was wrong !

Snapchat is among partially sane flock of companies, lot of others require few bottles of vodka to even understand where they get money and who want their product.

• @vitaliy "Snapchat is...." more detail please

• Snapchat is yet another 'social media' scheme to build a user base from which to suck their data with which you can sell to the highest bidder for whatever, research, advertising, political campaigns... is google just too big or ethical to play this game?

• @MirrorMan Maybe google saves everything as well, just in case you change your mind or forget to opt-out of a future TOS change

• This is just a hunch - but the most recent change might be Microsoft's surprise entry to the Android platform via its retro Nokia phone; also its Chinese market Android smartphone (using Microsoft's recent acquired Cyanogenmod ROM), which might just have set Google scurrying to protect its intellectual property. (FWIW)

• @goanna

Nokia Android phones have nothign to dow ith Microsoft, they are made by chinese company who bought brand.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev indeed, I stand corrected:

On 18 May 2016, Microsoft announced the sale of the Nokia-branded featurephone division to FIH Mobile, a division of Foxconn, and HMD Global, a new company in Finland.[46] The two will be working together, along with Nokia Technologies, to create Nokia-branded devices.[47] The deal is expected to close in June 2016. Nokia will be providing brand and patent licensing to HMD, and will take a seat on the board of directors of the company, as well as set requirements.[48] Devices are set to be released in 2017. On 8 January 2017, HMD announced their first Android smartphone, Nokia 6. HMD is also expected to launch 6-7 phones by the end year 2017. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia

FWIW, Cyanagenmod has never had access to Google's Play, access available only via "sideloading", eg using the workaround of the flashable "GAPPS" portal which Google seems to have tolerated until now, as long as usage of the independent ROM was limited to amateurs and just a couple of Oppo phones who mysteriously dropped CMod..

From GAPPS homepage:

Take note that Open GApps does not provide you with any license for Google’s APKs included in the package. The Open GApps packages merely provide a convenient way to sideload APKs to your device. It is your own responsibility to obtain the proper permissions by e.g. buying an OHA-licensed device with pre-installed Google Apps and/or acquiring the applications from Google’s Play Store.