Personal View site logo
MacBook Pro 13 and 15 2016, released today by Apple
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • Smart people deciphered Apple plans, note that Adobe take active role in all this.

Their idea is to sell you software by parts and require micro payments for making them still function, enabling tools or pay to rise artificial restrictions.

Adobe will also offer MacBook Pro users new plans in 2017 with payment not per month, but per hour via Apple Pay.

• The Verge editor-in-chief Nilay Patel tweeted this afternoon that he was informed by Apple that “it’s out of the stand-alone display biz.”

And it is very strong rumors that in spring they will be out of desktop market as well focusing OS X only on slim notebook and elite consumers.

• Back to DELL INSPIRON 15.6'' 7559 i7-6700HQ 16GB 1TB UHD 4K TOUCH GTX960M 4GB W10PRO $849

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-INSPIRON-15-6-7559-i7-6700HQ-16GB-1TB-UHD-4K-TOUCH-GTX960M-4GB-W10PRO-/322305169544?hash=item4b0ae29888:g:1V0AAOSwX~dWmXik

I mentioned before

All is good and it can work under very high load, it is modular, easy to replace battery

Display measurements and such can be seen at

http://www.3dnews.ru/930231/page-2.html

Yet at the test time 4K panel and BIOS had very strange algorithms of constantly changing color adjustments and such.

HDMI is 1.4, hence not possible to connect 4K monitor for work.

So if you want such, get only 1080p version.

Otherwise I hoped that 4K notebooks screen issues are gone - nope, still in full power and glory.

img2767.jpg
    595 x 459 - 59K
  • I have moved from PC to Apple about twenty years ago, mainly because of the underlying UNIX base and the good performance at the time. Now I'm pretty sure I'll switch back to PC before retirement. I've upgraded my old workhorses (MacPro cheese graters) to nearly the same performance – which is not too impressive – for half the price of the unreliable new MacPro and intend to use them until they die. I don't expect an up-to-date desktop machine from Apple any more.

I'm using a mid 2012 MBP a lot, very reliable too, but probably my last Apple laptop (no DVD in there, though).

The only thing I'll miss is the brilliant integration between my phone and my other computers. Can be done on PCs and Android too, but less comfortable. And sharing my data with the authorities? I have no illusions there, W10 is more like broadcasting my data, Apple is DoD, but they get at you nevertheless. If you like some degree of privacy, use CP/M, I suppose they forgot how to hack that ;-)

• I don't expect an up-to-date desktop machine from Apple any more

It is very high probability that you won't see any desktop machines from them at all.

If you like some degree of privacy, use CP/M, I suppose they forgot how to hack that ;-)

You can also setup smart router and filter out everything except browser data (and exclude many destinations also here) and some torrents :-)

• According to some leaks SD slots had been axed due to fast increase of SD card sizes and speed, so Apple did not like ability to get cheaper option and use SD as extension.

• Another MacBook Pro replacement, just with better screen for $1299

Not so portable, but..

• Display: 13.3 inch QHD (2560 x 1440) OLED 300-nits Display with Touch
    • CPU: Intel Core 6th Generation i7-6500U Processor (Dual Core, 2.5GHz with up to 3.10 GHz turbo boost, 4MB Cache, 15W)
    • Storage: 256GB PCIe NVME SSD Drive
    • Memory: 16GB DDR3L 1600mhz RAM (2x8GB)
    • Operating System: Windows 10 Home
    • Graphics: 4GB NVIDIA GTX 965M Dedicated Graphics Card

Ports:

• Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet IPV6
    • 2x SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
    • Thunderbolt™ 3 Port (USB Type-C™ with support for SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps, 40Gbps Thunderbolt, and DisplayPort)
    • Alienware Graphics Amplifier Port
    • HDMI 2.0 Output
    • Audio Out 1/8" Ports (Compatible with inline mic headset)
    • Headphone 1/8" Port (retaskable for Microphone/Line-In analog audio input)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIENWARE-13-R2-OLED-2560x1440-TOUCH-i7-6500U-256GB-SSD-16GB-4GB-NVIDIA-GTX-965M-/201696831481?hash=item2ef61167f9:g:IwUAAOSwe-FU8G8Z

• Apple switched from "Pro" market, as most of us understand it, long time ago, first with many years without updating software such as Final Cut, then the overpriced and basically un upgradeable Trashcan that seems to be the last of their desktops, and now with this Macbook 'Pro'. Seems like they are totally fine with people switching over to other platforms if they need better upgradability and connectivity. Their business model works for them, it is us who are clinging to Apple like they are charity organisation and not profit driven corporation. Not that others are different, just at this point in time it is better to switch, and do it fast.

• @inqb8tr

It is all natural. As you see at margins on phones and tablets and after this try to apply them to desktop market - thing do not work. As desktop market is far more progressive, and on phones and tablet markets ruling class being regressive want to move backwards.

Open any big media - all of them tell you that you do not need any powerful desktop PC - your cheap phone will do all you need, and usually this needs must be restricted to messengers, games, facebook, youtube and few other sites.

• I completely agree. Don't know why is it that hard to accept that Apple is not any longer a provider of sustainable solutions for professional workflow in any media industry, except for account office and when you need to impress idiot client over an espresso (how I feel about MBP line since 2012). They don't really aspire to be that, proven by any hint or development move they did in last 5 years, only, as expected, they don't want to get of the hype wave until it completely dies out, and it seems to be a huge one, sadly.

Hardware has maybe gotten to the point where, when you look at the numbers, it seems like your 'phablet' can replace everything else, but real the question is replace - how? As you very well pointed out, it is a regressive market class. But probably they've red it well, and we should be better of if we take their sincere advice and run.

• @inqb8tr

It is regressive ruling class as whole that make such things.

Education is another example. Improvements in education, modularity and open simple standards in computers are the things that will kill current ruling class.

• Education is mostly just another corporate branch, but nevertheless I also believe in its potential, as first and last resort.

Razer tweet on point :-) They deleted it later as big boss returned.

img2809.jpg
    604 x 397 - 34K
  • In an era where everyone wants something versatile and as collaborative as possible to makes things smooth and easy, Apple seems to go on the opposite direction. I never understood the distinction between what people call a "Mac" and a "PC" in first place since there are no Computer on earth more "Personal" than a Mac. For videos it has become a nightmarish dream. I still haven't digest the "fcpxml" over the "xml" that used to be just fine for cross NLE / color grading / VFX softwares. I'm having more and more issues with their new codec and the unsupported Quicktime that just got discontinued for Windows OS. I don't know if it's a sad thing to feel that way, I've never been pro windows or pro mac (despite never owning a mac myself), I just wished everything could be compatible without a thousands headache but we came to that point where you can drag today a Adobe Photoshop file in a Linux 3d modeling app that isn't adobe related or compositing one without troubles and on the other side MAC that barricaded themselves from sharing just a tiny tiny tiny bit of fraction locking all the doors. I really hope all my clients will leave mac and get some Linux or Windows. It would save us so much time which was at the beginning what Mac was for, easy to use, quick and efficient.

I was thinking of getting a macbook myself just to escapes the codec / software / file format cross platform headache but I'm convinced I should keep my money and just wait patiently that the arrow strikes the heart of the dragon. It's sad, I always believed in multiplicity and the possibility to have choice creating variety and pushing different creativity but it seems to go on the opposite direction if every company lock themselves in an impenetrable fortress.

• All Intel progress in one chart

img2918.jpg
    800 x 278 - 37K

Everything soldered. Cheap Fn model has removable SSD, but it is proprietary form, so same shit.

img2922.jpg
    678 x 468 - 70K
  • I thought this video about "The Apple Book" was some kind of parody. It's real and the author of the video was my first insight into the market these new laptops are aimed at: the fanboys. As someone who is older than the author of the video, who remembers a first experience with apple being Macs in boring beige boxes that sat on a desk (not a shiny iPod a classmate had in their pocket), as a company that came back from the brink of bankruptcy, who uses them as a tool and not a fashion statement, it has driven it home, I don't think they're going to be making products suitable for complicated video editing work in the future.

I love the idea, Apple has put together all of it's beautiful designs in a book, as any manufacturer might do, but, the price tag and more importantly the comments of this purchaser in the video that are very revealing (to me) about who are the people in the market for these type of Apple products, the design of this laptop included. It seems to me the tablet/phone/watch revenue has killed the apple laptop as a flexible, video editor's tool.

• More powerful stuff

Alienware 15 Touch Signature Edition Gaming Laptop, sale, $1497

• 15.6-inch 4K UHD touchscreen
    • Intel Core i7-6700HQ
    • 16GB memory/256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M graphics

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Alienware-15-Touch-Signature-Edition-Gaming-Laptop/productID.332771400?icid=gm_17hol_bfpre_modF_DellAlienware15

• Fun thing:

Apple is eliminating the “time remaining” estimate that shows up when you click the battery icon in the status bar.

• New Apple Wireless Hair Dryers for your Ears!

Airpod Stereo Wireless Ear Buds. When you run along the sidewalk and one drops into the sewer, you'll have mono!

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-airpods-vs-earpods-wireless-headphones-2016-12/#what-happens-if-you-lose-it-6