Personal View site logo
JVC 4K cameras, including GY-LS300 - 4K for $2995, GY-HM200 and GY-HM170
  • 298 Replies sorted by
  • @LPowell Sorry to be such a pain, but most of this is new to me as for a long time have been getting DSLR to zero exposure and pressing go! I think you're right re monitor displaying as rec709 so even though the camera is seeing the superwhites in J-Log they are not there to bring down, or FCPX is converting the footage to rec 709 on the way in as I am seeing a flat line at 700mv so I think it is cutting out the superwhites either on import or display. I'm not sure what to do about it as using an imac and a Dell U2413, not sure what I'd need to set to to read super whites to then pull down and can't find anything in FCPX's limited settings. Time to move to premiere? But as JVC do the LUT for FCPX you'd think there must be a way of showing the footage OK. Oh lordy, I am a bit out of my depth I think. every time I think I've got it sorted something else comes up! Thanks for your help so far and don't worry if you're too bored of answering these questions to answer again!

• Shouldn't I see waves going above 100%, this is what's confusing me, this is with no lut or CC applied, it's already clipped at 100%, so I have no superwhites to start with, like the camera was in rec 709 not in J-Log in the first place, if I'm understanding all the superwhite stuff correctly. Which maybe I'm not! I thought I was but hey...!

Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 15.47.34.png
    2497 x 1120 - 2M
  • OK, sorry, thought I was wandering off topic so moved back over here, will go back over there.

• For anyone who buys the camera I found the mount v tight at first, solution if it won't release the lens was just to turn slightly in the opposite direction, obviously not for long or with much force as it would break! and then release as normal, seems to help it to let go. Getting more and more happy with the camera.

• Eureka! @LPowell and anyone else with this camera this might be of interest. I think it's a glitch with the software not me this time. My whites in j-Log have, on and off, been showing in FCP as clipped at 100% which I thought was possibly something to do with FCP, but also seemed to be happening in HD not 4K - this turned out to be a red herring. This morning I had just switched from HD, which had just performed correctly in j-log, to 4K in which it didn't, so not what I expected. I had also enable the spot meter, this showed the hot spot as 400% and nothing more whatever I did i.e. not giving me the j-log DR. I tried rebooting, selecting rec709 as gamma then going back to j-log and it didn nothing, I then tried upping the gain from low, I have low gain set as 400 as I believe this is the native for the camera, when I moved it up to medium, 800 for a nervous fellow like me, bingo, I start reading up to 800%. The results are reflected in FCPX, initial footage clipped at 100, actually at about 95, and the footage with the gain up going to 108%. To me this seems bizzare that I can only get the j-log DR when I have the gain up. If anyone knows anyone at JVC please ask if this is supposed to be happening and why I can't get the DR at native ISO, or if it's another of those things I just don't know I don't know! I feel I'm coming to the end of the mystery!

• @belfryman The spot meter is erratic, and the "400%" and "800%" provide no reliable indication of when highlight exposure exceeds 100%. I found the spot meter distracting and useless, so I turned it off. My advice: Set the upper and lower histogram markers to the extremes to produce an all-white, clearly legible histogram. Then set the low zebra level to 100% and the high zebra level to "over". This will help you gauge when the highlights blow out at 108%. You'l find, however, that even in J-Log1, the tone curve will flatten out past 100%, so for best highlight detail, set exposure level just below the point where the zebra starts flashing. In Rec 709 gamma, I'd recommend setting the highlight knee at 85%, and again use the zebra to spot the superwhites.

• @LPowell Thanks, I have pretty much the settings you've described, it is literally stopping at 400% on the spot meter at low gain and going to 800% at medium, not erratic, rock solid two different highs according to gain setting and is totally reflected in the edit, clipping at 100% instead of 108%, there is something going on.

• I wonder if the native is actually 800 rather than the 400 which I read. When I set the low position to 640 iso the psot meter goes to something like 566, if I set low to 800 iso it reads up to 800%. I think this must be it. It's not the switch position it's the ISO which determines whether the super whites are permitted or not.

• And funnily enough was listening to a DIT guy last week who was saying a couple of cameras whose manufacturers were claiming 400 ISO native were wrong and they were in fact 800. Think they were super 35 as well. Maybe some misinformation in the system, though I can't remember where I read it was 400 native I will be taking it as read it's 800 from now on.

• @belfryman The spot meter numbers are meaningless. Trust me, just turn the damn thing off and use the zebra.

• @LPowell I've found them incredibly useful in this respect, they very clearly show on the camera what is reflected in the edit in terms of the dr so very glad I turned them on! I'm as convinced as can be with these things the problem I've experienced is to do with the native iso and I am not setting it below 800 from now and hopefully that's problem solved. Have emailed JVC so will see if they come back with anything.

• Is there a cheaper body to match/use as a B camera to the LS300 in JLog? Or in standard profiles (not in JLog)?

• @CFreak Stay tuned, we're working on a matching LUT for an old favorite ;)

• @LPowell COOL :-))))

• Can any GY-LS300 answer this question for me? With firmware version 2.0 or higher, when Gamma is set to J-Log1, can you still set the Color Matrix? Or does the Color Matrix setting become unavailable?

Thanks.

• @balazer With Gamma set to J-Log1, Color Matrix is preset and cannot be changed. In J-Log1 mode, the only user-adjustable settings are White Balance, ISO, and manual exposure settings.

• Excellent. Thank you.

• I'm going to buy the LS300 soon now that one of our AF101's has been damaged beyond likely repair, its looking like a good piece of kit, shame its missing Waveform monitor and dual Zebra setting to flick between, otherwise I'm excited about this AF101 successor, once i have it delivered I'll post some side by side comparisons with our AF101 from some real world corporate shoots and post the results.

• Little scene shot with LS300.

• Thanks for posting @Belfryman, nice looking footage, and so much more helpful to judge from than the usual cat/garden/wall/tree test shots

• have some docu and interview footage I'll upload when i get chance.

• are you based in London @belfryman?