Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • @Grimor

Upload it to mega.co.nz and post link :-)

• the free web remote application posted here can be simply modified to replace it :)

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6703/control-your-gh3-from-a-web-browser-now-with-video-/p1

request-diff.txt
    922B
  • we need some1 that dumps the firmware of the gh4

• This is a experimental film I made over the weekend, I didn't get to shoot it. But it was shot exclusively on the GH4 V-Log 8bit. Colored it in about 15 minutes with an extreme grade. I am really digging the skin tone this camera puts out. Still bothered by the noise. If you nail the exposure the noise is minimal. But if you underexpose you are screwed. Moral of the story, don't miss your exposure.

• Have some try film V-LOG in FHD ALL-I 200Mbps? Is there better color and video quality in there?

• @Wenen yep and it's noisier than UHD and 4K.

• @aaronchicago have you gotten your ninja blade yet? If so how do you like it? Is there an improvement?

• 8 bit vs 10 bit Using IntensityPro card to capture 10bit FullHD, I did a comparison test. The 8bit file is 4k downscaled to FHD. On my edit monitor with contrasts aggressively pushed with curves, the 10bit is obviously better. The blocking is still there with CineD 8 bit when contrasts are pushed. But on my system, the uncompressed 10bit files are HUGE so its impractical for my needs. There might be color differences on the images since this is open window daylight with changing light conditions outside. Also, when adjusted "normally" or rather not too extremely, the "chroma noise/blockiness" might not be too obvious to "ordinary" viewers in 8 bit (see 2nd side by side image), BUT it remains like a sword of Domocles due to it's unpredictability in 8bit mode. Side by side 200% crop images. imageimage

vlog_8_10bit_iso400_exp0.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 807K
    vlog_8_10bit_Normal_exp0.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 630K
  • @tedramasola Did you test banding as well? Could you provide a comparison between 8-bit and 10-bit with banding? It looks great in 10-bit. Also, did you record with Intensity Pro using your laptop, or can you record just straight onto the card?

• at 10 bit mode the gh4 will not record to internal card, sending the 10 bit signal only through HDMI out. The Intensity Pro 4K card I have is in my Color Grading and Editing PC and records onto a couple of striped raid HDDs. The banding is significantly minimized in 10 bit, BUT I don't know how practical it is in my case as the files are huge. An external recorder perhaps is more feasible.

• According to atomos you can record 2,5 hrs on a 1tb drive, highest quality proress HQ in 4k on the shogun.

• @tedbrah here is a full frame shot in controlled light, added the vlogLUT and some curves to exaggerate contrast to show the banding from the light falloff on the wall and door. I think it's clear this Vlog is meant for 10 bit external recording. imageimage

banding test vlog 8bit.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 701K
    banding test vlog 10bit.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 719K
  • @tedramasola

It is very good idea to post 800px width images and link to full size on flickr, as large images make pages and experience slow.

• sorry about that vitaliy, I don't have flickr though, still new here and didn't find a way to post and link to external file. just thought in this case where there is pixel peeping involved to see the difference that I posted the actual sizes. Sorry, take them down if need be.

• @discomandavis I'm planning on it today. It's been sitting here but I just haven't had a chance to test it yet.

• @tedramasola that looks promising. The wide angle shot seems to be much smoother.

• Panasonic's response to an email I sent them last week:

"In response, we would explain that our technicians are currently investigating the macroblocking and artefacts issues present on the V-Log update. However at the moment we cannot guarantee whether a future update will optimize the V-Log L profile for 8bit rather than 10bit recording. We apologize for any inconvenience caused".

Pretty standard reply me thinks?
    Not committing..

• Pretty standard reply me thinks?

Well, yes, even better than usual :-)

• @matthere

I think the answer seems to be more than just standard reply: they are accepting the fact that V-Log is not oriented to 8-bit, internal recorder, users.

The "inconvenience" is rated @ $100 USD and time spent trying to make it work...

• To me, that is an admission that the V-Log update should have specified 10 bit recording only. I think everyone that purchased it should ask for a refund instead of accepting V-Log in its current useless state.

• In the interest of fairness, I should post my question to Panasonic:

I would like to request that the new V Log profile be looked at again, there are both magenta and green artefacts and macroblocking visible from internal footage, and whilst I could spend £1500 on a 10 bit recorder, it looks like the V Log could be optimised better for 8 bit rather than just 10 bit recording?

Panny Said:

"In response, we would explain that our technicians are currently investigating the macroblocking and artefacts issues present on the V-Log update. However at the moment we cannot guarantee whether a future update will optimize the V-Log L profile for 8bit rather than 10bit recording. We apologize for any inconvenience caused"

• @aaronchicago cool. The blackmagic video assist was released today. I am curious to see how the UHD to 1080p quality is...