Personal View site logo
US: Spending
  • 4 Replies sorted by
  • 9000$ per year for transportation - on average - WTF?!? How do you generate such high expenses?

Even though I decadently use to fly to exotic overseas locations ~3 times a year for diving trips, I would not even hit the 45000$ mark. Ok, I own a bike, not a car. Still, the few times I need other means of transportation would never stack up anywhere near 9000$...

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Interesting stuff here, but I would definitely focus on median income which is about $51-53K for US household. The average (mean) is often seen as higher (here it's listed at $63,784). Also the pre-tax and post tax numbers aren't a accurate reflection of actual percentage of income paid as tax. For people at median, it's about 40%, where the numbers reported here are 19.9%.
    (Note: I'm assuming the number listed here as average annual expenditure is post-tax income, but if it includes expenditures made with credit cards, equity lines, or other loans/credit, then my 19.9% isn't accurate.)

• @karl

It is official statistics (see link on the bottom). Expenses are proportional to the distance from work.
    Some US areas are most horrible in the world in this aspect.

• Ok, I got the error: The headline on the graphic is misleading: These numbers are not "spending per average American" as one might think. They are "spending per 'consumer unit'==2.5 persons". So it's actually 9000/2.5=3600 per "average American", a much more plausible number.