Personal View site logo
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • If it's anything similar to what happens in the Sony A7S when using S-Log2 you may need to overexpose to avoid the noise and then move the shadow areas down in post.

• ^^^ Yeah, you'll just have to change the way you expose. Give those shadows preferential treatment and let the extra stops catch the highlights for natural shooters. Us narrative guys will be fine. But monitors that take 3d LUTS will see a boost in sales.

• Would an Ultra Contrast filter be beneficial in helpful to elevate and protect shadows, in conjunction with LOG?

• @zakforsman Ultracontrast filters would not help at all here, I have one and it is pretty much the same effect as master pedestal. Doesnt really add any detail in the shadows, just lifts the black point and makes the footage muddy. Ive rarely seen it be worth the price, unless you are going for that look.

• Very confusing comments to that video, is it Anamorphic and V-log together or are they released seperately?

• So is the Anamorphic mode anything other than the 4:3 photo mode with video-speed AF rather than still-speed AF? If only they could optionally stretch the display... (I'm probably still getting a 2x Anamorphot though.)

Oh and has anyone compared ISO 400 (which I understand is what you get) V-Log vs ISO 200 Cinelike-D? (Am I in a minority in generally finding Cinelike-D really nice on a GH4?)

• The current gh4 firmware, current on 20-04-2015 does support '4k video for photo' option with a 1x1 3x2 4x3 and a 16x9 @25p only. I have shot some 2x anamorphic footage in different ratio's but havent uploaded any footage.

• And 'Dr_jon' i always shoot in cinelike-D

• Thanks for that! What anamorphic lens combo (I assume it's a combo) do you use?

• hi, mine is a bit of a combo because my lenses were adapted for canon fitment....so GH4 body, M43to canon adapter, then my Olympus manual 50mm f1.8 (with OM to EOS metal ring adapter) then a Isco anamorphic lens with a clamp adapter that screws onto the front of the Olympus 50mm. The same clamp adapter fits with my Carl Zeiss anamorphic and my Schneider anamorphic (untested with the GH4 @ 4k) heres my latest test:

So this new firmware should give us 4k 24p and 25p in 4x3 and maybe 3x2.

• FW 2.2 is out now

1. [Anamorphic(4:3)] mode is available which optimizes the settings for 3328x2496 video recording with a 4:3 anamorphic lens. To convert the footage to a cinemascope aspect for playback, corresponding software and device are required.
    2. 1/16000 sec shutter speed can be selected manually when using [Electronic Shutter].
    3. Fixed the issue which video recorded in rec format AVCHD got misdated when imported to some editing software.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gh4.html

• No v-log?? :(

• @Max

Well, no. It was known long time ago.

They want money for it, but are not sure about sum yet.

• Someone have updatented the GH4? I tryed many times, without result. With 2 different SD cards. I receive always the message "no valid picture to play".

• @Vitaly

Do we know, that they want money for V-Log? Or is it just speculation?

I've seen refences to the uncertainty that it will ever be released but not indications that it will be for sale.

• Do we know, that they want money for V-Log? Or is it just speculation?

It is inside info.

• (Why is the link to firmware 2.2 still showing v2.1?) Edit: Is now up-to-date. Cool.

• Solved: i downloaded the wrong file from a wrong link. The name of the file was AH4 and not GH4, may be is the jap version...

• uploaded the 2.2 with no problemos …anamorphic : when you import files in premiere, reinterpret the footage and dragging clips into time line you don't have to render anymore soooo cool….!! Just a frame grab

Sequence 01146.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 667K
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev "They want money for it, but are not sure about sum yet."

I think it can be reasonable to compensate innovative firmware development in a matter. It's better than no updates and wait for the next model to appear. A company can also compensate firmware development by adding features that might increase sells, but I am ok with paying a bit extra for really useful features as an owner.

• So a 1,5x anamorphic lens (like the bolex moller I own) does not benefit from this firmware upgrade, could somebody explain, I don't understand how it works...

• @Brumbazz ...

The section of Panny that makes the "pro" video cams such as AJ and Varicam models is not pleased with the 'mass-market' section wanting to release one of the signature PRO capabilities in a small-form mass-market camera. They see this as diluting their "brands" specialness, and as internal competition for sales. It is the same reaction within Canon apparently ... and why the Canon DSLR's don't have some of the features they could have.

So ... having talked with several of the makers, both their "pro video" and "small-form" sections at NAB ... my guess (and a rather solid one ... ) is that short of getting an absolute NO on release of log firmware for the GH4, that the Pro cam folks are demanding that this be not "just" a firmware update but an extra-cost option that comes in the form of a firmware update. That section of the company would want as high a moolah choice as possible. The "small-form" section wants it to go out NOW as a free and typical firmware update. (Not unlike that within their competition, I'd also note.)

Those outside these companies typically do not realize how separated the sections are internally. Such as, the small-form Panny folks do not wander the Panny booth talking with potential clients as the "Pro" video staff do. They need to stay in "their" little area ... and from watching a couple other companies, that seems rather more common than you'd think. Within those large "booths", there are identified areas for different sections of the company. And even in the Canon area, small-form/DSLR staff need to be very deferential to the "Real Pro" people.

Neil