Personal View site logo
Official Nikon Hacks, D7000, D7100, D3100, D3200, D5100, V1, V2, J1, D4, D800 and Nikon Tool
  • 336 Replies sorted by
  • I think nikon d5100 info button on top should be reconfigured to release mode button....it really annoying to change settings in menus....if someone can hack this feature

• So does removing the video time limit mean I can record videos that are an unlimited length?

• So does removing the video time limit mean I can record videos that are an unlimited length?

Nope. FAT file size limit remains.

• Hi the real grievance I have with my Nikon V1 is the fact that I cannot change the shutter speed to anything I like. Its stuck at 1/60. Being able to get to 1/30 or 1/25 depending on framerate would make so much more sense and let so much more light in!

• If there going to be a hack for the D600 to improve on some stuff like 100% view etc in the near future?

• Hello, I tried using in NTOOL 2.55 with Nikon D7100 firmware, loading the firmware in NTOOL throws me an error "Wrong file or trying to use Already patched file". Firmware is the original Nikon product, what is the problem? -. Thank you.

• I tried it too but i have same problem with Daggardj :( With D7000 fw is working well, but with D7100 newest FW and NTool 2.55 can't open bi file. The error was same: "Wrong file or trying to use Already patched file"

The D7100 fw file i downloaded from this Nikon site: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18539

Vitaliy, you have an idea what could be the problem? Thx!

• Hmm, D7100 is not supported for now, sorry.

• Hey Vitaliy , i tring to replace text and JPG in FirmWare with my own's ,
    how to do that with your ntool ?

• @newnewbie

This tool is not for replacing your text and JPG. It is for ready end user patches.

Any reason you want to do it?

• Hey Vitaly , just for funny .

• Hey Vitaly , why not two versions of your ntool , one for end users , one for advanced users .

• Hi Vitaly, I'm considering purchasing a D7100. However, it doesn't offer 1080p60 or 1080p50 video, which I really want (The new D5300 has 1080p60). If the processor inside the D7100 is theoretically capable of recording 1080p at a high framerate and high bitrate, do you think it would be possible for you to implement such a feature in NTool?

Thanks.

• If the processor inside the D7100 is theoretically capable of recording 1080p at a high framerate and high bitrate, do you think it would be possible for you to implement such a feature in NTool?

I think you must buy camera that can do that you want without any hacks :-)

May be D5300 will do?

• Vitaly, The D5300 has a few advantages over the D7100:

• Better processor
    • Flip-out screen
    • WiFi + GPS
    • 1080p60 video option

The only thing you can add via a firmware hack is the 1080p60 video option. I realize it's a lot to ask, but I really hope you can pull it off.

• I strongly doubt we'll be seeing 1080p60 for the D7100, as the NikonHack project is in relatively early stages when compared to what has been accomplished for say Canon or Panasonic cameras.

Additionally the D5300 has the new Expeed 4 processing engine, something which none of the other Nikon DSLRs have. And I reckon it is the new Expeed 4 which is key to being able to handle the extra workload of 1080p60. So it is primarily a hardware limitation not a software limitation is my bet.

If you're looking for a DLSR/MILC for video than any one of a Nikon D5200/D5300/D7100 or Panasonic G6/GH3 is going to be a superbly good value camera. I wouldn't worry too much about what features that just maybe perhaps maybe they "might have in the future", and just pick one of those five based on what they can do right now. :-)

• I strongly doubt we'll be seeing 1080p60 for the D7100, as the NikonHack project is in relatively early stages when compared to what has been accomplished for say Canon or Panasonic cameras.

I can express it more strongly. Most this project is doing is waste of time and holding people from doing actual progress.

• Hi Vitaliy, I am looking for custom firmware and find this your page. Please I want to add support for firmware 1.02 on nikon d3100. released 2 weeks ago :) thank you, nice evening

• Hello, Vitaliy! Is there any chance to get support for D7100?

• Don't know why just when I pick firmware to my D7000 v104, Ntool2 v2.55 just show me Video time limit nothing more why? How to upgrade my Nikon?:)

• Is it possible to have audio record also at the slow-motion modes 400 fps and 1200 fps (nikon 1 j1/v1) ?

The need for all audio pro recording studios which work with video is to check if their audio with the video "in time" They'll have to set up the equipment with specific delays to compensate the delay of the overscan lcd's and so on. A payable solution is to have an high speed video recording with sound then you can calibrate with this. The nikon is really high speed but unfortunately without sound for this topic now worthless. Here for illustration this Idea with an Phone app - but unfortunately this will be not really precise.

IPho5e-AppVideo: link.

• The need for all audio pro recording studios which work with video is to check if their audio with the video "in time"

The need for all audio pro recording studios which work with video is to check if their audio with the video "in time" They'll have to set up the equipment with specific delays to compensate the delay of the overscan lcd's and so on.

Can you describe issue in detail, in separate topic? As for me it seems to be best to use proper monitors with very small delay and not some strange high speed shooting.

• D5100 macroblock artifact comparison:stock 24Mbps versus hacked 54Mbps

I recently shot comparison tests of the D5100 in 1080p24 and 1080p30 video modes, using the stock 24Mbps bitrate, and hacked 36Mbps and 54Mbps bitrates. I took these shots with a Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 lens set at 70mm, f5.6, and ISO 100. The camera was locked down on a tripod and used the Neutral Picture Profile. I selected a sunlit scene of a running stream of water with highlights on the water ripples. This type of subject presents a myriad of high-contrast moving images that tax the motion tracking and bitrate allocation algorithms of the camera's H.264 video encoder.

In 1080p24 mode, the D5100 records in H.264 IPB format using 12-frame GOP. In 1080p30 mode, the D5100 records in an IP format using a 15-frame GOP. After loading the video files into a 32-bit Adobe After Effects project, I selected I, P, and B-frames from the second GOP in each video sample. I then displayed and cropped them at 200% magnification in side-by-side 24Mbps versus 54Mpbs comparison shots, and saved screenshots of each comparison.

I-frame Comparison @ 1080p24 (IPB 12-frame GOP): image

P-frame Comparison @ 1080p24 (IBP 12-frame GOP): image

B-frame Comparison @ 1080p24 (IBP 12-frame GOP): image

I-frame Comparison @ 1080p30 (IP 15-frame GOP): image

P-frame Comparison @ 1080p30 (IP 15-frame GOP): image

H.264 encoders divide each video frame into horizontal and vertical rows of tiles called macroblocks. Sophisticated compression techniques are used to compress the encoded data within each macroblock, reusing image data from adjacent macroblocks and video frames. After the H.264 decoder reconstructs the encoded pixel data, it uses a built-in Deblocking Filter to blend the rectangular edges of the adjacent macroblocks together. With extremely detailed moving images, however, the encoder's image quality may deteriorate when it reaches the limits of its maximum bitrate. This can produce not only smeared image details, but undesireable macroblock artifacts as well, which can be seen in the sporadic rectangular edges in detailed areas of the decoded frame grabs.

Consumer-grade H.264 encoders are optimized to maximize data compression rather than image quality. They will typically encode highly compressed B-frames at lower image quality than the I and P-frames. This can be seen in the noticeably coarser macroblock artifacts in the 24p B-frame image recorded at the stock 24Mbps bitrate. However, the I and P-frames of both 24p and 30p videos are also contaminated with noticeable macroblock artifacts.

Frame grabs from the 54Mbps 24p and 30p videos show significantly fewer macroblock artifacts and finer image details than the 24Mbps videos. While the macroblock edges in the 54Mbps frames are fairly well blended, more seamless results could potentially be produced by hacking the encoder's Deblocking Filter coefficients. A more effective Deblocking Filter might also make it possible to achieve comparable image quality at bitrates lower than 54Mbps.

D5100 I-frames 24p.jpg
    1350 x 730 - 287K
    D5100 P-frames 24p.jpg
    1350 x 730 - 293K
    D5100 B-frames 24p.jpg
    1350 x 730 - 288K
    D5100 I-frames 30p.jpg
    1350 x 730 - 292K
    D5100 P-frames 30p.jpg
    1350 x 730 - 277K
  • Hi I am sorry to ask again or if it is a stupid question. Will there be any chance of getting more control over the Nikon 1 camera's shutter speed in movie mode? I mean will it ever be possible or is it going to take many years. I just wondered if anyone out there is making any progress towards that. I hate being stuck at 1/100 in pal mode here in the UK :-( .... Love the camera apart from the lack of control. If anyone has any idea about this I would really appreciate some advice thanks.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions