Personal View site logo
Where Are All the Women?
  • 90 Replies sorted by
  • But since dating is frequently a prelude to marriage, particularly for women who want children, she'd have to be nuts to date a jobless guy, who she'd have to support, in addition to any kids. In primitive terms, those kids won't survive without an "earner".

Yep, hence equality really never exist. And this post was about it.

• Awesome thread.

Love all the comments about how "vast and complex" feminism is. Really it's simple economics. Part of Democracy(tm).

• My opinion: "technical" boards often are just an outlet for males who have no other means of exerting "power". also, the knowledge level tends to correlate inversely with testosterone levels. I am a women who frequents such boards for tech related news and user experience, e.g. certain cameras when considering purchase, I tend to ignore the pointless bossiness. Boards with a lot of women are the same, just without any tech related facts, hence to be avoided like the plaque.

• "technical" boards often are just an outlet for males who have no other means of exerting "power". also, the knowledge level tends to correlate inversely with testosterone levels.

LOL.

I am a women who frequents such boards for tech related news and user experience, e.g. certain cameras when considering purchase,

Yet I see that you just registered to say all this.

• hehe "power" :)

• equality really never exist

In that sense, there's never equality between any two individuals, of either sex, since their needs and capacities are always different. But that says nothing about equal opportunity, i.e., equality under the law.

• Girls Go Geek with Cali Lewis

Bjork explains how Television works

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

In upcoming years whole world structure will be changed due to huge wars. I call them "strange wars" were millions of people with support of their governments will go to rape and kill to other countries.

One of my favorite topics!

I love hearing ideas and theories (based on actual developments) about near/medium/far future of mankind (I too feel something radical will eventually happen but that could be several things for several reasons).

Maybe you could do a thread about that some day, I'd be very interested to hear some thoughts.

• Re: futurism

The dinosaurs thought the world was their salad bar. Then the asteroid hit and wiped them out. Damn you, Unpredictability!

Men vs. Women in Business, Women are better dealmakers

• And, back to, the woman can be the earner.

• Men vs. Women in Business, Women are better dealmakers

Woman are also most ruthless bosses, as contrary to the man they are not wired to care for the pride they can cut and fire with no mercy. At least this is my and people who I know experience.

• Assindatcolf said that almost 10 percent of those providing household services, whether it be cleaning, babysitting or looking after the elderly, are Italian - a jump from 3.73 percent in 2011 and 8.62 percent last year, Corriere reported.

Out of this, almost two percent have a university diploma, a sign that more graduates are taking lower skilled jobs as they grapple with the ongoing economic crisis.

http://www.thelocal.it/20131202/italys-graduates-turn-to-domestic-works

• @eyenorth If you're going to say "most", then it makes sense to provide some link (or links) to larger data to support the assessment. Otherwise you're presenting your conclusions about the dataset of your anecdotal experience as being the final word on a subject. To put it more simply, it's presenting opinion as fact, which I do not believe was your intent.

For what it's worth, as a Swedish-American, born in Stockholm that spent many years of my life there, with my family primarily having often been closest to "Moderaterna" (one of the less liberal parties for any others reading this), my own equally inconsequential experiences did not demonstrate any of the sense of "oppression" that you mentioned, either in the family, in my daily experiences outside the house or at school. In fact, even some of my classmates that exhibited either racism or homophobia seemed more comfortable in the way they themselves were treated by the group than some of my classmates with comparable views in the United States.

My point isn't that either one of our experiences is "right", but that to characterize either one of our anecdotal experiences as representative of the majority out of a group of millions of people is simply not appropriate. For either of us to make that claim, we need to back it up with empirical data taken from a much larger sample.

At least that's my own opinion, for what it's worth.

• Well. Being Norwegian and having lived and worked in all the Scandinavian countries both urban and rural I think I do have somewhat a grasp of the pulse. In Copenhagen, Oslo or Stockholm you'll find a lot of people are social liberal. If you go to rural areas you'll find that many people are more old school conservative and moderates (not the social-democratic 'moderates'). That doesn't mean they're homophobic or racist, more often it's just that they're uncomfortable with imposing their ways on others and therefore feel uncomfortable when others force their ways onto them - something that can't be said of many know-it-all urban liberals; their usually very comfortable with forcing their ways and imposing their views on other people even though they often times have little or no knowledge of rural life, and certainly little tolerance for opposing views.

If you have followed the debates on feminist issues in Scandinavia recently, particularly in Sweden and to a lesser degree Norway, you would see that it has gone completely bonkers and off track in a lot of ways. Some examples would be the kindergartens that are introducing a gender neutral personal pronoun ('hen', instead of han[him] or hun[her]) to avoid sexism) and dressing the male children up in girls dresses to disrupt 'the negative social inheritance', and you have the new rating system for films where they are rated according to how much screen time women get and how pro-active they are in the films. Watch any Swedish or Danish crime series that comes out of the state-funded production houses; bad guy is always evil man-pig, and hero is always strong, troubled woman with alcohol-drenched loser detective of a man as side-kick.

If you have children in schools and hold a more moderate or conservative view, then this type of constant bombardment of values that are contrary to your own is definitely a type of soft oppression. What do you call it when the state effectively taxes 70-80% (the current effective tax rate for most Danes) of your income only to finance monopolized social liberal state media (even the "private" channels here are government funded through subsidies and grants), forbid you to prepare lunch for your kids, teaches them there's no right or wrong and they come home praising Mao's policies during his reign in China as my daughter did not long ago? It's not freedom - it definitely feels warped and oppressive.

• What do you call it when the state effectively taxes 70-80% (the current effective tax rate for most Danes) of your income only to finance monopolized social liberal state media (even the "private" channels here are government funded through subsidies and grants), forbid you to prepare lunch for your kids, teaches them there's no right or wrong and they come home praising Mao's policies during his reign in China as my daughter did not long ago? It's not freedom - it definitely feels warped and oppressive.

Good thing is that it won't last long. But it is normal consequence of parasites (aka some state paid guys) wanting to expand and find some jobs. As this river will have less water, they'll all vanish, instantly.