Personal View site logo
Microsoft is deep in shit, far from Surface

They introduced Surface Pro 2 (with up to 512GB variants)

Price will start at $899 for bare tablet without anything.

ARM shitty thing running at Windows RT - Surface 2 will have 32 or 64GB flash and will cost $449. Yes you heard me right.

• 19 Replies sorted by
  • Saw commercial for Surface yesterday on US television for $349. Guess that's 1st version. I tried it - the flipout keyboard really sucks - hard to use.

• Saw commercial for Surface yesterday on US television for $349.

Biggest problem is that you can just get good four core tablet with retina screen for about $200. Or get good Windows tablet / convertible for much smaller price than Pro.

• Exactly. If was buying tablet now, I'd get a cheap chinese tablet. Guess Microsoft is trying to charge a premium for their name...which I think will be difficult for them to do.

• Micro$oft is not apple. Nobody will buy their product just because it says Microsoft on it.

• @mpgxsvcd

Btw, this guys one of the main ideas was you will edit 6K video on it :-)

Yes, it can't attach with monitor with such resolution, and even hardware assited video playback is also impossible. But somehow they got the idea that someone will be doing it.

• I got here mislead by the title, when I read it, somehow I envisioned a hero, the odyssey kind, called microsoft with the body of a worm, no eyes and the armor of last superman father fighting a spectacular giant something sticky, with no eyes and huge alithosis problems while burried in a pond of viscous shit far far away from surface his bitch, a princess with no curves whatsoever in her body, no eyes but a profound capacity to orally please our hero and I'm not talking about talking, that being held captive by the gang with tiny black horizontal eyes spend her days gazing the dirt and nail scratches on the glasses of her tower cell's window and moaning for a hot cacao

Needless to say how... different and much more interesting reality is :D

@Vitaliy if you feel my offtopic words goes beyond my off limits erase them with no mercy, I'll do the same if we were talking about a hero and his adventures and you would came with your head all hardwired talking other stuff :-)

• Oh man don't delete those offtopic words. Love that!

• The only people using Surface is actors on TV shows like Elementary and Arrow.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-surface-pops-up-in-another-tv-show-arrow

• @jleo

Pro is not bad. Just price is again strange.

• Microsoft sold about 900,000 Surface tablets in the first quarter of 2013 and 300,000 in the second, totaling 1.2 million units in the first half, according to the sources citing figures from IDC.

The sources pointed out that the first-generation Surface's poor sales are mainly due to their high prices although their hardware specifications and industrial design are competitive.

Market watchers originally expected global tablet shipments to achieve an on-year growth of 70% in 2013, but they now expect a growth of less than 60%, and growth could drop to only 25-30% in 2014.

Upstream supply chain estimate the devices' sales will reach only three million units in 2014, accounting for 1.15% of the global tablet shipments.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130923PD201.html

• Surface Pro 2 seems like a good device for drawing, graphics and other visual work, if its Wacom digitizer functions well. I'm tempted to buy one for that feature alone. Could also be great in audio and video applications, drawing automation curves, masks etc. with a pencil right there on the screen.

Also good is that now MS have taken several steps in creating their own PC device ecosystem. Should make it easier for developers of professional software to ensure that it works flawlessly on Surface models, and easier for customers to pick a Windows PC with guaranteed support. Same thing that keeps Macs a popular choice.

• Surface Pro 2 seems like a good device for drawing, graphics and other visual work, if its Wacom digitizer functions well. I'm tempted to buy one for that feature alone. Could also be great in audio and video applications, drawing automation curves, masks etc. with a pencil right there on the screen.

You know that most Samsung Windows tablets also have pen, right?

• I like the Surface RT tablet with its USB port, microSD and cool keyboard (best of all tablets IMO). The Windows 8 desktop mode is weird though. They should scrap it.

• Don't you think that full size SD slot is much better? Same as more USB ports?

• Samsung's ATIV line is another potential choice, but Surface Pro seems better to me as a whole package, with both OS and hardware design from same company. In case of Surface, MS takes full responsibility for drivers, components etc. all working well, like Apple does with Macs. They have more at stake and carry most of the blame if something does not work. So I'd trust MS more for a long-term commitment to a system.

• @neokoo

If you talk about Windows tablets, they rarely have serious drivers issues. Plus I have strong suspicion that Microsoft do not write any drivers for them and just use third party firms or manufacturers of corresponding parts.

• I hope MS take some part in driver side of things (if they do not already) to make good standard versions that are sure to work with their own hardware. In any case, MS still have the overall responsibility for Surfaces working well. That is what I like. If something goes wrong with the device, there is just one company to complain to, and if needed, they'll have exact clone models for replacement. As well as the previously mentioned potential for "sure to work on Surface" optimization in applications.

• Yes, I do think a full size SD card slot is better, in addition to supporting USB 3.0. I'm not sure why more tablets don't have it but I'm guessing it's a hardware thing. The Asus Transformer tablets are great in that they have a full size SD card slot but it's part of the keyboard dock.