Personal View site logo
What it takes to get into an ivy league school
  • 20 Replies sorted by
  • The girl can write, she's been published... and Rupert Murdoch knows who she is.

And this may trump sheepskin from any university.

RBD

• This kid is gonna be a star. More attractive AND thinner than that "Girls" slob Lena Dunnam. She'll be ok.

Her Op Ed is great. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324000704578390340064578654.html

• More attractive AND thinner than that "Girls" slob Lena Dunnam. She'll be ok.

haha +1

I think think this girl is maybe acting a bit entitled... but, she is right. It's a good point and good satire. Our "politically correct" social-crusading society is out of control. The ivy-league institutions are our of their minds. Intelligence and objective qualification should be all that matters. The idea that having "two moms" making you somehow more "diverse" and therefore "better" is absolutely fucking retarded. This is how you destroy a society...

• The idea that having "two moms" making you somehow more "diverse" and therefore "better" is absolutely fucking retarded. This is how you destroy a society...

Why it is retarded? Children in gay families have much more chance to become gay themselfs. Hence big advantage - they become natural proponents of official idealogy.

• FWIW, Vanderbilt isn't in the Ivy League. Just sayin'. And Suzy Lee Weiss rehearsed the "it's satire" thing quite well.

• They should make a new Ivy League university where everyone who applies gets in.

• Some people spend 20 years trying to get their SAG card ( Screen Actors Guild) , or 30 years trying to break into the movie business,,,,she only spent 1 year filling out applications... I guess she could have changed her name to Bush, Kennedy or Clinton to get on the fast track!...

You CAN attend Ivy League schools online for free and get a degree...

http://www.bdpa-detroit.org/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57:moocs-top-10-sites-for-free-education-with-elite-universities&catid=29:education&Itemid=20

• good resources but you don't get the accreditation though unless you are enrolled at those schools.. A large aspect of it is the networking advantage.. People that graduate from business school at certain 'top' schools will be able to enter fast-track executive programs at corporations; does not mean that they are good at what they do though

• I've worked on a LOT of videos for universities and small liberal arts colleges in the US. Many of them are considered among the best. I think a lot of them are full of shit, but they are pretty adamant that they don't want test taking zombies that have little to offer to the experience of going to college. You can be yourself and have some activities that are extra curricular to appear more well-rounded. Being a snarky bitch that gets good grades isn't really that special. I know and have met a lot of kids that have done positive things where they grew up in the name of getting into a good school. She just demeans that with her sarcasm. Jaded sarcasm, by the way, is crap coming from someone that has probably had everything handed to them on a platter. Not impressed. I just love these millenials that require extra care and consideration. I can't wait til she is trying to enter the workplace.

• Being a snarky bitch that gets good grades isn't really that special.

Why not? Generally, one of the present issues is that we do not have enough of such bitches and have lots of "well-rounded" guys. I reaally hate "well-rounded" guys, comfortable, charity oriented.

• Being a snarky bitch isn't special at all anymore. That's because we see it on tv with all these divas and reality tv twats who don't actually do anything for society parading around demanding shit from people (and getting it). This and you have the "no-spank" generation of parenting who only seem to create offspring who don't understand the word "no" and can't hack it in the real world leading to record amounts of psychoanalysis and prescription medications for "anxiety" when they can't get what they think they deserve or entitled to. I mean, why did this girl who seems to think that "being yourself" is important get angry when she wasn't accepted to an IvyLeague(TM) school? That sounds like she believed that she would just get accepted without question and this whole op-ed thing is just angry retaliation. Spoiled and entitled indeed.

• I mean, why did this girl who seems to think that "being yourself" is important get angry when she wasn't accepted to an IvyLeague(TM) school? That sounds like she believed that she would just get accepted without question and this whole op-ed thing is just angry retaliation.

You need to believe in something :-) As it seems she did the right thing :-)

• Honestly in today's society it doesn't really matter where you go, as long as you graduate. Going to Ivy League would provide many opportunities that other schools do not, but if you're a good learner and acquire a good skill then the sky is the limit. She could go to some lesser-regarded school and give it a claim to fame to build off of. Ultimately it's a hard topic for me to pass a judgment on either way.. Affirmative action was enacted for an important reason, but it is not without consequences.

• Going to Ivy League would provide many opportunities that other schools do not, but if you're a good learner and acquire a good skill then the sky is the limit.

Nope, most important thing in life is people you know. And your connections with them. So such school gives very big advantage.

• She's ahead of her peers since she realized getting into ivy league school is mostly a rat race. Many things in life are rat race.

• Everything in life is a rat race.

• If you can't get into school....fake it! "I went to Harvard" are magic words that may swing open doors, ( even though you never enrolled, and just used their washroom once....) Nah, may not work nowadays....

Dreamworks Founder David Geffen, from Gale Musician Profiles: David Geffen...

His ambitions notwithstanding, Geffen was an indifferent student who graduated from Brooklyn’s New Utrecht High School in 1960 in the bottom ten percent of his class. The same day he earned his diploma, Geffen ventured west where he hoped to enter the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He was denied admission on the basis of poor grades, but was able to enroll at the University of Texas at Austin; he lasted only a semester before flunking out. He returned home to New York for an equally short stint at Brooklyn College.

Early jobs as an usher at the CBS television studios and as a receptionist for a television production company also ended disastrously—Geffen was fired both times. In 1964 he landed a job in the mail room at the William Morris Agency. In order to be considered for the position he had to lie about his college background. He told personnel at William Morris that he had graduated from UCLA. When he discovered that the agency planned to contact UCLA to corroborate his story, the resourceful Geffen kept watch in the mailroom for four months, until he was able to retrieve the college’s reply. He steamed the letter open, took it to a printer, had the letterhead forged, and created his own academic credentials. Geffen told a New York Times reporter: "It was either give William Morris what they wanted or give up my dreams. … I just don’t believe in taking no for an answer."

• Everything in life is a rat race.

except the things that really matter

• I went to Harvard... For a couple hours...

I'm not saying that someone has to be well rounded, but for schools that turn away 92-95% away, you better bring something to the table besides study habits. In this day and age where you can become rich and successful just by being an attention grabbing twat with little substance, she'll make out ok.

I can't imagine this kid writing her letter. http://www.coca-colascholarsfoundation.org/quest/against-all-odds/#.UYz9bCvF121 I can't.

He went to my school and he's damn happy to have had the opportunity. A school, which, Ms Weiss would turn her nose up if they offered her a scholarship.