Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @kurth Indeed, I thought that too, that you can use EF-S lenses on MFT cameras as well.

I think their realization is just a matter of time, and considering the incrementing options of MFT mounts around I think it'd be just wise for Metabones to make it sooner than later.

• @charlie_orozco I believe it would be a f4, not a f2 with a speed booster on the Tamron.

• The speed booster would gather f2 worth amount of lighting from f2.8 lens. DOF would be roughly equivalent to f6 on the BM compact due to its 3x crop factor if that's correct crop factor.

• There are too many "if"s. Let's wait and see :)

• Don't forget, the SpeedBooster shallows up the DOF. I would assume that the SpeedBooster would at minimum return the DOF on lenses to something akin to what we're seeing on the GH2, much like it returns APSC DOF to something akin to what you get on Fullframe.

But I for one am far more interested in the Production cam. It isn't that much more expensive, and global shutter for what I like shooting is a really big deal.

• I believe it would be a f4, not a f2 with a speed booster on the Tamron.

No, Sangye and I were both talking about this a few pages back. It makes the leneses FASTER... not slower. The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 would become a 34-100mm f2.0 on the Pocket Cinema with the speedbooster.

• Ugh... A 17-50 mm f/2.8 lens attached to the Speed Booster becomes a 12-35 f/2 lens. On the BMPCC it's equivalent to a 36-107 f/6 lens on a 35-mm photographic camera.

• Not sure where f/6 comes into the picture. It will be as bright as f/2, have the FOV of 36-106 on FF, and the unchanged DOF of a 17-50 f/2.8.

• @balazer I think this is what I was thinking - "compared to a 35mm camera". The f-stop increases are the biggest turn offs for me.

Whenever I shoot with the Nokton, I double the focal length and double the f-stop to get the 35mm equivalent. With the BMPCC, it would triple, but then the speed booster would subtract one f-stop, no?

• It would only be f6 if it were not optically reducing the image circle... but that's what it's doing.

• @balazer

how are you figuring this out for the 35mm conversion? I want to figure out what my 1.4 lenses would be as it equates to a 5d

• @Sangye, an f=17 mm lens with an f/2.8 mm aperture becomes an f=12 mm f/2 mm aperture lens when attached to the Speed Booster.

A 12 mm f/2 lens has the same aperture diameter as a 36 mm f/6 lens. 12/2 mm = 36/6 mm. A 12 mm f/2 lens on the BMPCC is equivalent to a 36 mm f/6 lens on a 35 mm photographic camera in terms of angle of view, noise performance, and depth of field, assuming equal output resolutions and focus distances. The lenses have the same aperture sizes, so they collect the same amount of light from each object in the scene, and they project it onto the same number of output pixels.

@tinyrobot, that's correct. A 0.71 focal reduction factor for the Speed Booster means 1 stop gained, and a 3.02 ratio of sensor diagonals means 3.2 stops lost compared to a 35-mm photographic camera using a lens with the same f-number. (Though using the square of the ratio of the sensor diagonals is just an approximation of the ratio of the sensor areas, because the aspect ratios are different). The net is equivalent to a ratio of 2.14 in the sensor dimensions, or 2.2 stops lost. If I make the aspect ratios the same by cropping 36 x 24 mm to a 16:9 36 x 20.25 mm, the ratio of sensor dimensions to the BMPCC is 2.88, which is 3.06 stops.

@bwhitz, I accounted for the Speed Booster's focal length reduction when I calculated the 35 mm equivalent f-number.

@eyeiaye, full frame 36 x 24 mm cameras have a 43.3 mm diagonal. The BMPCC has a 12.48mm x 7.02 mm active sensor area with a 14.32 mm diagonal. The ratio of the diagonals is 3.02. The ratio of the widths is 2.88.

If I talk about this any more, Vitaliy will tell me to take it to the f-number flame topic.

• balazer's f/6 is referring to depth of field ONLY, not to the T-stop (amount of light transmitted), or the f/stop (which is a ratio of the lens focal length and the physical aperture opening's diameter).

Yes, the speed booster does cause lenses to transmit an extra T-stop of light. Yes, it does make lenses WIDER. Yes, it does make the f/stop number SMALLER, because a smaller f number=bigger opening in comparison to the focal length. Remember, f/stop is a fraction!

So technically-speaking, NO a speed-boosted 17mm f2.8 is not f/6. It is f/2. But the depth of field that it produces on a sensor the size of the Pocket Cam will look like the depth of field from a full-frame camera with a 36mm f/6 lens attached.

@eyeiaye f/1.4 lenses with speedbooster become f/1.0 lenses in terms of Depth of Field and in terms of T-stop ("brightness" of transmitted light). But because the Pocket Cam has such a small sensor, you won't get the same shallow depth of field at f/1.0 as you would with an equivalent f/1.0 on full frame, or APSC, or even GH2 for that matter.

• Check http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/nab/black-magic-cameras for photos made by @Tokyo03

Some of photos are presnt on page, more are present in media manager in NAB section (about 40 photos).

• "They had a follow up interview with a BM rep and he said that they are using a Compressed RAW at about 1.5:1 Not a lot of Compression but he said you'd get about 30 minutes on a 128GB SanDisk SD. I believe he said he was using the fastest SanDisk they make. The ProRes to the same SD would get about 70-80 mins. That sounds good to me."

@Aria: I'm a little confused by the rep's statement here. If they're using the fastest 128GB SanDisk SDXC card to record 30 minutes of compressed RAW, then, well... the card they're using is pretty slow (only 45MB/s). There is no 128GB SanDisk 95MB/s card available yet.

• I preordered mine the moment it was available!! CANT WAIT!! :D

• It's only now that I realise that SSDs are far cheaper than fast SD cards:

SanDisk 64GB SDXC @ 95MB/s = 120€
    Samsung SSD 120GB = 90€

Lower price, double storage.

Actually it makes quite sense. I just wasn't aware of that.

• @niGGo, perhaps they're maxing out the cache and that is making up for the speed of the card. I can imagine they've got a lot of clever ways to make it work since they're making a dedicated video camera. It's good news that they figure to make it work even with a slower card. Of course this is yet to be seen since they don't have any RAW units working as far as they said.

• @niGGo I paid no more than $40 for any of the UHS-1 64GB Sandisk SDXC which I have bought (about a dozen). They go on special for that price from time to time. Normal price around $50 on Amazon.com

• @trevmar: I don't think so. At least if we're talking about the 95 MB/s version. Take a look.

• I seriously wish they put in a videomode with about 100mbps.

• I don't mind 50mbps - more than sufficient for most of my needs. Just registered and posted on their forum to let them know that there IS demand for lower-quality-less-size codec option.

• BMC v1 2.5k RAW is (apparently) 5MB/frame. It shoots 1.6x more pixels than the Pocket's 1080p, so:

Pocket uncompressed RAW: ~3.1 MB
    Pocket compressed RAW (~1.5:1): ~2.1 MB

@ 24fps = 50 MB/s (compressed)
    @ 30fps = 62.5 MB/s (compressed)

• Considering the rep's statement that around 30 minutes of RAW footage fit on an 128 GB sized SD card, your math could be right, although it doesn't fit 100%.

It would be plain awesome if there was some sort of cache to reduce the datarate per second so we could use cheap 45MB/s cards. Otherwise I guess it really comes down to faster 95MB/s cards.

• I guess most of us want just more DR, and we've seen with the GH2 that 50Mbps can get a long way.