Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • shouldn't 2K be removed from the title of this topic?

• Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Last year we launched the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and although we had sensor supply issues, the cameras are flowing faster all the time and the people receiving them are doing some stunning work. It’s really amazing watching the work people have done appear on various web sites!

Of course, the big aim of this camera was to get a true film look. We worked hard on the design to do this and the images are stunning! However another one of our design goals was to make a cinema camera that was an extremely small size. The Blackmagic Cinema Camera is very small and much smaller than a normal cinema style camera.

What we wanted to do next was see if we could make a cinema camera even smaller!

We have done this, and the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is incredibly tiny. It’s a true digital film camera with a Super 16 size 1080HD sensor with 13 stops of dynamic range. The images look virtually identical to our current camera!

It features a Micro Four Thirds™ lens mount so you can use low cost lenses, but also Super 16 cine lenses via an adapter. If you use a Super 16 cine lens, combined with the Super 16 sensor size and the 13 stops of dynamic range, it’s just like shooting to Super 16 film! Of course you can rig it up with large lenses so it’s perfect for large jobs too!

We have worked incredibly hard to build the smallest camera design we could, while retaining the ability to comfortably use it hand held. It’s an attractive design with built in stereo mic's, LANC, micro HDMI with overlays for monitoring, solid grip handle that holds a removable battery and built in recorder to SD cards. It records lossless CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes 422 (HQ), so the image quality is amazing.

I feel that the small design lets this camera be used for all kinds of tasks a normal camera would be too large to handle. My feeling is a small camera can always be bigger, but a big camera can never be smaller. I think its going to be very exciting to see what kind of work is done with this camera. For myself, it’s nice to have a camera I can use personally for shooting my family, which gives a timeless film look.

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera will be shipping in July for $995.

• It's basically a smaller Jellocam - same sensor as 2.5K which means same jello and moire problems. I'm gonna wait again. If they can get a 4K Global out in one years time - by Next NAB they might have the ultimate versions of all three cams 4K, 2.5, and 1080.

Basically we have a greatly shrunken version of the BMCC with the same proven sensor DR and IQ that records 1920 instead of 2.5K to SD cards in the same compressed codec of ProRes and in a new compressed version of RAW DNG. Oh yeah…and it’s going to cost one thousand bucks.<

• http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera he we go!! few mint earlier i check their site and it was down... now they have it up-to-date!!!!

• @niGGo @oscillian

If the frame is normalized to 16:9 in both cases, a 28mm on a S35mm sensor requires about a 14mm on S16 for the same FOV (factor of approximately 2). Compared to the GH2, the factor is about 1.5

Or you'd have to open up about to 2-stops in S16, to get equivalent S35mm DOF.

• @shian

Same sensor is bad news, as it could ship in 2014 :-)

• Their website is taking a serious beating.

They also have dead-links to a whole bunch of press releases..!

• (that reply was to a stale page : ) @jakepowell right, but compare that to the size/cost/speed of the Panny 14mm prime (or the 20mm). For me there's no point buying a small body if I then have to buy expensive large or slow lenses just to get a wide-angle. And if I have to buy manual (which isn't a disaster) I'm still kinda wasting the active mount and the convenience from that.

I'd really like to see a fast small & affordable UWA native prime - now there will be even more demand for it so hopefully someone will finally make one.

• "C" mount was the TV standard for many years, before B4 mounts... before B4, sounds funny. I could go on about the f1.7 canon Zoom lens I bought and how little it cost, but why be a dick about it? Vitaliy, Adapting B4 mounts would be a big deal too. Also a LINC autonomous power supply would be nice... we aren't the first generation to pull focus and zoom.

• Adapting B4 mounts would be a big deal too.

It is not so big deal. Btw, we offer good B4 to m43 adapter on deals from time to time :-)

• Guys, read update on other S16 contender

Last night the digital bolex drowned in it's own tears ! It was obvious to me from the start that you can't build and market a cinema camera off a kickstarter...but I guess it wasn't so obvious to many !

• @_gl i agree this would be great to see and i expect will happen but some people myself included will be happy to have the option of m43 (pancakes or otherwise) lenses for run n gun type stuff and a wealth of old school manual focus s16 and c mount glass for the stuff its more suited too - indi film making when that cinema aesthetic is called for and also when the ergonomics of those lenses are called for .... im excited , cant argue with that price....

• Btw, in my opinion best thing in Pocket Camera is that some japanese manufacturers stop telling us that it cost $4000 to add raw to their HDSLR cameras. And that it is impossible with small mirrorless cameras. Most probably it'll have big influence on adding raw to normal and wide available cameras.

• look it is a $1000, 1920x1080, 13DN, RAW, Prores 422, lens cap.. kind of reinforces the idea, put you money into glass and be ready to change bodies all the time.. http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/04/dsc00152.jpg

And you thought it was bad when you pulled out your little gh2.. people laughing at your tiny little camera...

Looks ridiculous, but I still want one.

• Sure the M4/3 lenses prices gonna to the sky too.

• Maybe we will see Panasonic offering a firmware update to access raw on the GH3, alternatively maybe Panasonic will loose out on a whole bunch of sales to the pocket cam!

• any news if this will have 60fps in the future

• Btw, in my opinion best thing in Pocket Camera is that some japanese manufacturers stop telling us that it cost $4000 to add raw to their HDSLR cameras. And that it is impossible with small mirrorless cameras. Most probably it'll have big influence on adding raw to normal and wide available cameras.

I agree...well...it's the second best thing besides the camera itself ! We can probably expect a nex5z with at least updated codecs soon.

• Hope for not overheat, that's all.

• Btw, in my opinion best thing in Pocket Camera is that some japanese manufacturers stop telling us that it cost $4000 to add raw to their HDSLR cameras. And that it is impossible with small mirrorless cameras.

Amen.

Maybe we will see Panasonic offering a firmware update to access raw on the GH3,

@matthere, won't happen, RAW has huge bandwidth demands (file sizes), you can't write that to a single SD card slot. If Panny ever go RAW, they'll want to charge for it on a new high-end body. Of course we keep hearing about a 'pro' GH body, so who knows ...

• @xenogears

I also hope to see same camera without screen for $699.