Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • On the first page of this thread we see some assembler code snippets. The lines contain comments and names of subroutines.

Where do this clearly named information, especially the comments, come from?
    I thought that somebody did a firmware dump but I would not expect anything else than machine code as the product of the dump. Usually comments are not compiled into the code or did I miss something here?
  • >Where do this clearly named information, especially the comments, come from?

From my head :-)

>Usually comments are not compiled into the code or did I miss something here?

Comments and even function names are not contained in assembled code, of course :-)
  • Hey V - very excited about the project. Will donate soon. the Gh2 is an amazing camera - uncomppromised HDMI is all I really want. If you can pull that off we can use the cheap recorders available now. This camera can look as good as an Alexa!!!!All the best
  • >L4SBI, genuine UK cameras have a 'UK Model' sign on the box, by the serial nos. What does yours say?

Mine has a big sticker marked "Panasonic Refurbished Product" but no info about UK version. It does however say it is PAL on the other side of the box. Serial numbers from "refurbished" sticker and the camera match.
  • Good as an Alexa Henry? I wish.
    Regardless of bitrates, the sensor is still the sensor surely?
  • Alexa sensor is 23mmx13mm, gh2 is 19mmx11mm. I dont think its a big deal, 10bit processing is a big deal though!
  • 60 times the price tag is a big deal
  • >Alexa sensor is 23mmx13mm,
    >60 times the price tag is a big deal

Alexa is totally different beast.
    You can make fantasies about how good GH2 will be.
    But Alexa is in another league.
  • More like a baby Red in diapers.
  • Oh okay - I submit - Not as good as an Alexa of course. But mighty close if you can get fast glass, uncompressed HDMI and grade using luts. Get some Luts and using Cineform firstlight I must say the picture is better than half as good as an Alexa......for £1000. Just let me have a better codec and I will show you how awesome this beast is for the indie!!! Download the original if you care. I will upload a high quality encode.

• what is your work flow after shooting with the GH2. Do you have any resources on learning Firstlight to grade?

Thanks
  • ooooh... shiny... ;)
  • yeah workflow steps would be nice.
  • As I said previously this week I worked on foundation things.
    Scripts, utilities, basic disassembling (like making few thousands of jump tables, etc :-) )
  • http://www.henryolonga.net/Blog/?p=1365

All the vids are embedded here.

Or go directly to my vimeo page. http://vimeo.com/henryolonga/videos

Full tutorial from start to finish. Some comparison vids as well. I have some Arri Luts and I'll be damned if the footage after the treatment doesn't come close to the 'look' of an Alexa. Still a few miles off but amazing none the less.

Warning - this method uses up a LOT of HDD space
  • how would I flatten the image on Final Cut or Premiere Pro instead of using Sony Vegas?
  • Guys, please move discussion to separate topic, ok?
  • ok sounds good. How is the hack coming along Vitaliy. I took the GH2 out last night and also noticed that the LCD viewfinder changes colour after pressing record. Do you think this will be a possible fix in the hack?
  • >I took the GH2 out last night and also noticed that the LCD viewfinder changes colour after pressing record. Do you think this will be a possible fix in the hack?

Most possible no, at least on initial stages.
    This happens because firmware changes sensor mode.
  • The interlaced HDMI out is due to the firmware or to the software ? There is any chance to have a clean 24p hdmi out ?
  • I hope it is firmware.
  • maybe I'm too enthusiastic, but whether there is any further information about what features will be possible to add to gh2
  • Vitaliy - any thoughts about the ability to add interval recording?
  • >whether there is any further information about what features will be possible to add to gh2

At least at initial stages you must expect something similar to GH1.

>Vitaliy - any thoughts about the ability to add interval recording?

I do not have such plans.
    It requires bunch of code, including interface.
    Better just buy very cheap remote.
  • Thanks for helping us achieve better overall quality. I think this is going to save us the headache of HDMI capture attemps. In my opinion a great artist is never limited by his tools but I sure like the headroom you are giving us.