Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Weird Exporting/Playback Issues - Look At The Snapshots!
  • Has anybody experienced such an issue:

After rendering out a video file with CineForm, DNxHD or other codecs, there is always a huge difference when playing the rendered video file back on different players. For example, just take a look at the attached snapshots below: the 1st is with Windows Media Player and other players; the 2nd is with QuickTime Player. As you can see, the video from QTP looks exactly as edited and graded before rendering out, while the same video from WMP and other players gets highlights overblown and other destructive effects. Is that normal, how to fix this problem? When I put the same (rendered) video file on Sony Vegas or AE timeline, it looks properly as it is and as QTP shows it. Re-rendering this already rendered video file with various codecs and settings goes to the same issues. The same issue I experience with video files converted with 5D2RGB - QTP shows it properly with the 1.8 gamma lifted up, while WMP and the other players show exactly zero difference from the source MTS video file. So, why does this happen? Any idea why the video editors display the video properly and then the other players don't?

Another issue: the WMP snapshot is vertically stretched a little, don't know why and this appears on the TV too as well as the destroyed highlights and other defects; while the QTP snapshot looks exactly as it should. I'm shocked!!! Any help and suggestions? Thanks in advance!

WMP.jpg
    1024 x 579 - 199K
    QTP.jpg
    996 x 516 - 171K
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • You've tumbled into one of the Dark Forces of cine/video for computers: dang near every vid player makes a guesstimate of what "you" really want to see and does its own thing with the program material it is given. Clearly for your machine, QT is playing nicely ... but many folks even have great difficulty with it.

So ... you have to decide which playing situation you grade for, what the viewers will be seeing it on ... and output for that situation. By playing with the output parameters, you can often get something that plays ok on a particular viewer, most of the time. but never all the time, as everyone has different video cards and "native" and user-chosen settings for their machine, so EVERYBODY'S mileage always varies.

I've heard of "content providers" that grade for "standard" in their process, then have alternate final adjustments via "look" or "presets" that are used to be ported out for one or two specific viewers/situations, and are not baked into the "final" cut of the program material. If you NEED for it to be the same on all viewers possible, you'll just go nuts. Jumping down the street singing songs of daisies and throwing paint everywhere with a crazy smile on your face. :)

Neil

• Thanks for your reply, rNeil, but it doesn't give any idea how to solve the problem, it does let me live with problem, fooling me that the problem doesn't exist.

If the problem is only on some player - ok. But once the issues appear the same way on TV, that's a serious problem, I think. So, QT player is the only one giving the proper picture and the proper aspect ratio, it's like only QT player plays back the 32bit rendered video properly, all the others play it as 8bit. WHY?!?

I don't use codec pack or anything.

• Many vid players do only play in 8-bit. Or do so in one setting (given material and the system's set-up) and higher bit on another system. TV's ... you want to talk non-standard, jeepers. The people editing with major systems with say 3 monitors and a full broadcast-quality tv monitor (thousand there) can get something they KNOW is dead on specs for b-cast/tv usage.

Then see that same program on almost anyone's home tv and hardly recognize it, as far as the technical stuff ... contrast, hue, saturation, gamma, all of it. It is frustrating, and you just have to stick with learning how to use the tools in your editing/grading/fx programs to tailor your work and the output settings for the places and things it's viewed on. As they are.

Most of the people I know of suggest trying an H.264 codec for output to most computer/upload situations. You might play with some variation of that codec for a bit when you export for delivery. Not for say, dvd though ...

Neil

• @rNeil : Actually the problem exists the same way even if the video file is edited and rendered in 8-bit. In this situation even the colors change drastically... And what about the vertically stretched picture issue? All you wrote is known to me, I've read many articles about that matter, but I still think the problem is here in my system.

• Yea, the stretching is ... puzzling. You're not alone in this, there've been a few I seen elsewhere post this problem. not many, but some. They've been long threads trying to puzzle it out. I don't recall suggested answers that worked. Sorry.

• I had similar issue. Unexpected solution-monitor profile issue. What monitor are you using? In proper profile all players looks the same in same profile they looks different. http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9445/color-export-shift.-dell-u2410-wrong-profile.#Item_6