Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Vadim Makhorov climbs China's tallest building under the cover of darkness
  • Last year Russian photographer Vadim Makhorov caused a stir when he posted a series of images taken atop Egypt's Great Pyramid — but for his most recent adventure, he set his sights quite a bit higher. Makhorov has posted a video and a series of photos of the lengthy climb up China's tallest building, the 2,073 foot-tall Shanghai Tower. Since the giant building is still under construction, Makhorov and his team did the climb at night, much like with the Egypt climb.

Here his blog in Russian and English

http://raskalov-vit.livejournal.com/134512.html

• 12 Replies sorted by
  • balls of steel

• They are climbing on 700m building under construction and getting upset only with how their hands got dirty :)

• Photos are amazing. I guess video is shot with a gopro but photos?

• @MRfanny just to tease U, balls of feathers

There was a moment climbing the crane when I got relly dizzy... wow!
    I hope they start featuring this as official sport in olympic games, je ej

@inqb8tr wouldn't you agree, courageous or mindless, they've earned that little quirk? ,-)

Also at youtube a sensitive comment by user edoardoruggeri:

Isn't it fun to think that these guys are doing nothing more than what those chinese workers do every day? Not that I would have the guts to try it, but it makes you think

And very funny answer from user Chengyin Liu:

Thanks to the good quality of whatever they climbed. 

@LongJohnSilver thanks for sharing, totally agree photos are awesome. Lens looks like 17-40. More photos on http://dedmaxopka.livejournal.com/72833.html

I just wonder all the rest we don't see in the video.
    Oh and also remotely reminded me of a very very nice docu Man on Wire {dramatic yet sensuous male voice} would you risk everything to reach your goal? What's there left when all bridges are burnt? {cough cough}

• I saw the Man on Wire documentary few years ago, by accident, and I say - without one doubt in my mind - I have never seen anyone do anything more daring than what Philippe Petit did.

The whole project, planning, timing, preparation, execution and french finish :D was beyond belief, mind boggling. And I compare it with Felix Red Bull baloon drop. I really didn't find that stunt so memorable. Don't get me wrong, it's a damn feat but the guy had millions dollars and hundreds heads of logistics behind him.

On topic...these russian "hanging on a crane with one hand" daredevils are amazing to me also. They intrigue me a lot. They ain't just punks doing dangerous things, I think they're very, very intelligent individuals.

But the point about them going on same paths workers go every day is legit. But as always, it's all about the story. Russians going to China to sneak on top of the building in the middle of the night is way better story than "day at work" :)

• The only difference with the Chinese builders who climed up there on a daily basis is that they didn't blog what they did ;)

• We have cold winters. In Russia. So they froze the brain.

• What's the big deal? It's a daily affairs for the Chinese workers.

• Its not the climbing up high, but that it was done without getting caught. There's a whole culture of scaling buildings, tunnels, abandoned factories or whatever called "urban exploration". Basically its getting into mostly illegal sites, taking photos, and getting out without getting caught.

• 8.5 million youtube views in 2 days! nice work guys. I guess they did it on Chinese new year?

• Chinese workers ain't be gettin dat AdSense moneeeeeeeee :D :D :D

• PixCanFly

What's the big deal? It's a daily affairs for the Chinese workers.

Nothing. When keyword - workers (professional)! That's their job. This case - morons.