Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Skier HotMirror 4x4 , 4x5.65 filters discussion
  • Skier HotMirror IRND 4x4 and 4x5.65 glass filters

It is top quality filters.
    Good optical glass that does not badly affect sharpness as cheap filters do.
    Very consistent color among all filters.
    No IR contamination that can result in horrible color shifts, especially for stronger ND filters.
    Comes in very good padded packets.
    3mm thick, so works perfectly with cheap matte boxes.
    Available at: ND 0.3, ND 0.6, ND 0.9, ND 1.2

Available as individual filters and 3 filters set.

Check additional details and price.

• 46 Replies sorted by
  • Filters are still very good, want to remind that they are available again http://www.personal-view.com/deals/filters/skier-filters

• They are available, just wait for their new year to end :-)

• this link says they're producing their filters again: https://www.facebook.com/EQUIPRENT.HH/

any news on availability?

• That's disappointing. What do you recommend as a more affordable glass alternative in 4x5.6" that's color neutral?

• The Skiers are not available? How come?

Not manufactured for quite a time.

• The Skiers are not available? How come?

• @fotosiamo

They are good, but not available.

• So from the sound of it, these filters are worthy alternatives to Tiffen White Water NDs or Hitech FireCrest or ProStop NDs?

• So I have a mattebox that holds 4mm 4"x5.6" filters. I assume these Skier 3mm 4x5.6 will fit nicely in them?

• I had an additional order of the skier polarizer and I must says it's a great piece! I was shooting still photos with a Canon 5DM3 in a studio and used the polarizer for about 20% of my footage in a 4x4 filter holder with a 77mm thread adapter. No visible difference between shots w/wo filter, no color cast. Thanks for this deal!

• I ordered 0.6 and 1.2 on special deals and I am quite happy with them. Solid build. They work well in my Vocas matte box on the BMPCC and the FS700 also. Shipping was very fast also, I received them within a week. Thanks for this great deal.

• My friend has full set. Good filters.

• I tested a bit more and these are my results:

The Skiers work very well with the BMPCC (probably the BMCC too). They kill all the red-brownish overcast there is and get the image back to neutral, even better than without any filter. Maybe a tad of green but that's easy to handle in post. I wish they had a clear one too, like Formatt, it might be helpful if you don't need any ND.

The Formatt Hot Mirror IRNDs are not strong enough for the BMPCC, they leave quite some red, while they are perfect for the RED Scarlet/Epic MX. The Skiers are a bit greenish/cyan on the RED cameras, I suppose the crossover frequency is lower or they are simply stronger. No "one size fits all" here…

There are new absorption filters from Mitomo called TrueND, which seem to cover all sensors, but they are really expensive.

• It works, but it is not as efficient apparently depending on the solids behind.

• Yes, that works.

• Just about to pull the trigger on these in 4x5.65. Does anyone have an idea about how they compare with Hot Mirror or IR filters from the other big three, Schneider, Tiffen and Formatt? May have to get a complimentary filter for strengths above 1.2...

As noted stacking is not advisable with hot mirror filters because of internal reflections. Or I could go with a clear Hot Mirror IR and use regular ND's behind...

• this is answering some of the questions i had. I hope that make some stronger ones to as i am worried about stacking mirror filters too

• Plus, stacking mirror filters is not the best idea, since you may get some reflections between them. A mirror IRND should normally be the frontmost filter only.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I really like these filters, so can you ask Skier to make stronger versions, e.g. 1.5, 1.8, 2.1 ?

(I can stack them, but there are only 2 filter trays in my mattebox and I might want to use other filters in addition.)

• Just wanted to chime in saying that I've been using the 1.2 on a BMCC and couldn't be happier. I've only done a bit of comparative testing, but it's solved all the problems I had with other filters I've been using. Mostly, there's no significant colour shift that bothers me. I may have to buy another...wish there was a stronger version though. I may post a comparative video when I get a chance and will post back if I do. The others inexpensive filters I purchased on deals here were nearly unusable but these are fantastic!

• would like to know how these work with the bmpcc sensor? as every sensor has different characteristics in regards to specific ir filters.

• @rotgg

What exact update do you want?

• any up date on these?