Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What is your favourite music?
  • 47 Replies sorted by
  • Right now, I'm with @chef ! "Bubble butt bubble bubble bubble butt!" Classic!

• I'm listening to Eddie Vedder's Into the Wild Soundtrack. Some of the songs on this album are masterpieces. And made even more haunting if you watch the film (which is also one of my favorite films ever).

"it's a mystery to me / we have a greed / with which we have agreed / when you think you have to want more than you need / until you have it all you won't be free"

• Technical Death Metal.

Bands like:

Necrophagist

Obscura

The Faceless

Meshuggah

Spawn of Posession

Monumental Torment

Anomolous

Turbid North

Opeth (more prog, less death)

Wretched

Job for a Cowboy

Fleshwrought

the list doesn't go on and on. It's a small genre.

• @MikeLinn I bought that DVD when it came out. Really good stuff.

• My favorite songs discovered in 2013, in no particular order: http://grooveshark.com/playlist/Favorites+Of+2013/86935041

A little bit of everything in there.

• I was sitting in the balcony for this show. This was the opener. Second time I'd seen them, and both shows were "life experience" type events.

Sigur Rós is by far my favorite band. I don't think I've heard anything more unique and creative. That being said, I wasn't as much of a fan of their latest album.

I also like múm, Do Make Say Think, and Portishead. I listened to nothing but hip hop until my late 20s, but rarely do anymore.

• My fellow Okie, John Fullbright.

The National, Kitten, Jose Gonzalez, Nick Drake, Pixies, and a long list of many others from various genres

• Underground house music. There are plenty of crappy productions out there making it more and more difficult to weed out the garbage but good stuff can be found. This genre is technically quite complex and easily missed by the untrained ear.

I don't have any particular favorite artists. I believe most artists have a finite amount of talent and often one hit wonders extract lots of creative energy.

• While checking out more of the Lindsey Stirling music on YouTube (some of which I love), I came across the "making of" Elements- another song she did. She produces her videos with Devin Graham and edits her own videos, too. Seems like quite a special lady....

Video here:

• Bela Bartok, Gustav Mahler, L.V. Beethoven, Led Zeppelin & Depeche Mode.

• Yea.. Jose Gonzales is in my top list :) Also Within Temptation, Megadeath, Aly & Fila, Guiseppe Ottaviani, Frank Zenker (aka Scot Project), Armin van Buuren, Placebo, Alphaville, Piano guys, Ewan Dobson, Vittorio Monti :) Quite wide range of styles...

• Lately I've been listening to a lot of post-rock, contemporary folk, and balearic pop / "blisscore" / "chillwave", folk pop, etc. Here are some standouts for me:

• WU LYF - Concrete Gold (UK). Raw, visceral, sort of punk-like vocals, punctuating sparkly and effervescent instrumentals that remind of a 90s era post-rock / dreampop mashup, all layered over a wall of noise. This all may sound experimental and inaccessible, but it's surprisingly anthemic, and for me it captures the zeitgeist of 21st century civilization and its discontents. It's only fitting that this video uses footage from OWS.

• Delorean - Stay Close (Sun Airway remix) (Spain). This has been my mainstay favorite band since their excellent album Subiza in 2010. Blissful balearic melodies, dense non-percussive beat arrangements, washed out, sunbleached vocals. I am in love with every single song they've ever done, and their 2013 album Apar somehow managed to further perfect on their sound from Subiza. But this 2010 single is the one that started it all for me, so here you go.

• Taken By Trees - To Lose Someone (Sweden). Victoria Bergsman, maybe better known for being the former lead of The Concretes and for her contribution to the iconic 2006 single "Young Folk" by Peter Bjorn and John, is a fantastically creative and eclectic musician. Taken By Trees is a solo project, and I think it has unleashed her creativity even further. I love the subtle use of Pakistani musical arrangements, but it's really her voice that carries the whole thing.

• This Will Destroy You - Threads (TX, USA). They might not be as revolutionary as the original 90s-era post-rockers like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, but I think they took the post-rock formula and perfected every aspect of it. Glittery electric guitar arrangements, wells and walls of noise, and of course each song has an epic crescendo. There is something formulaic about it by now, but these guys have mastered the formula and I'm a sucker for it.

• Stereolab - Jenny Ondioline (France). I had to throw a 90s band in. They need no introduction, and their body of work speaks for itself. What I love about Stereolab, a band I've just began to discover for myself in the last few years, are how they took disparate genres like post-rock, French pop, and German "motorik" rock, and made it all work together. And of course the fact that they were all insurrectionary Marxists. That part is pretty cool, too.

That's all for now. I hope people listen at least to the first three. And if you find the Delorean track too "dancey", try an original non-remixed song, anything off of Subiza or Apar in particular.

• This Ascension

Lycia

Black Tape for a Blue Girl

Tapping the vein

Clockdva

Vidna Obmana

Front 242

Steve Roach

Aphex Twin

Autumn

Harold Budd

Loveliescrushing