Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
60mbs bitrate with 15mb class 4 sandisk ultra? could somebody explain this?
  • Hello, yesterday I was helping a friend shooting a weeding. I was using the Gh2 24L mode with the Driftwood Quantum X 'SpanMyBitchUp' v2b and a Sandisk Extreme pro 32gb 95mb/s. In the worst moment ( cake moment) my sd got full, so I tried to use a shitty sd , the sandisk ultra 8gb 15mb s class 4, and it worked so well!

I hadn´t any problems with writing speed, and i have top bit rates of 60mbs, Could any explain what is happening?

This is a example video

http://www.mediafire.com/?xtbgg4rf79396z5

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Cards are measured in MegaBytes per second. Filming bit rates are measured in MegaBits per second. There are 8 Megabits to every Megabyte. Therefore you would perform this equation to find out what the card is capable of recording. 15 x 8 = 120 Megabits per second. This is on the basis that the card is capable of writing to the card at 15 MegaBytes per second. Some cards quote READ speeds and WRITE speeds tend to be less than the READ speed.

• You should test the cards speed to see how fast it can write. 4 Mbs isn't much but the streamparser of that file shows the clip is 27mbs max, only slightly higher than max stock bitrate, so depending on how fast the card is, it should still work.

What I don't like about the streampraser data is those 3 peak frames, then the low frame, how it does that about a dozen times in the clip. I see a lot of that in low bitrate I frame files, especially the experimental Gh1 GOP1 hacks. Is there any data to back up my bad feeling about those peak lines, or is it just my natural paranoia? @_@

Parser.JPG
    1199 x 369 - 96K
  • MB is not the same as Mb. I'm always baffled by how many don't know this basic computer literacy item.

• Thanks you a lot for feedback, I am a few ignorant in codecs world, But I remember I had some problems with writing speed with my old Gh1 and a sandisk 45MB/ and I got shocked when I used 15mb class 4 and it worked so fine..