Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
$1299 UHDTV Seiki 50" SE50UY04
  • We shall be testing this UHDTV 50" Monitor with Red footage shortly... no joke.

Picked it up today at Tiger Direct with 4 yr Square trade warranty (essential for early adopters)...

Will let you know how it pans out, astounded by the price, let's see the quality now...

Availabe at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7674736

• 3840 x 2160, 5000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
    • 4K Ultra-HD 120Hz HDTV
    • Remote Control with Batteries
    • One HDMI Cable
    • Three HDMI Ports
    • Tabletop Base
    • Instruction Manual
    • The HDTV supports component and HDMI sources at 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 4K2K 30Hz on the 50” screen.
    • 5000:1 Contrast Ratio

Update 1: We had lots of fun today with this set. 4K and higher res Medium Format Photos look very good on the panel, as well as HD sources. Looks like a good inexpensive option for a UHDTV Computer Monitor. It is a basic panel, has inexpensive audio, two USB ports support playback of music and photos (Sorry, no video via USB). It has a scaler to fit height or width, and appears to give you back what you feed it... Garbage in/garbage out, etc.

BIGGEST PERK: IT'S PORTABLE!! Yes, it's slim and light enough for 1 person to move around. So far, it is an absolute steal at $1299 for April 2013...

You need to feed it an UHDTV signal over HDMI to get "4K" display of video. We have not had a chance to calibrate it yet, but it does look like a typical LED display, however with 4K resolution. Moving onto video display at UHDTV resolution next rounds...

UPDATE 2. I attached the 3840x2160 at 30Hz setting photo with one of my favorite websites while showing the Prometheus landed (c) 20th Century Fox, in the center top. NOTE the DVD size in relation to the entire screen. 4 of those little rectangles is HD. Cheapest setup possible- AMD 7970 and single HDMI cable on WIndows XP... Who needs displayport or HDMI 2 or thuinderbolt, when HDMI 1.4a will do for film and photo editing today at this low cost?

CONCLUSION: the SEIKI 50" SE50UY04 is a winner for lowest cost UHDTV Video/Computer Display in April 2013! A great achievement, and I strongly recommend an extended warranty with any new technology like this.

IF you liked this post please share it with others, consider contributing and remember to PLEASE SUPPORT WWW.PERSONAL-VIEW.com with a donation today.

2 great updates:

1. A pro color Calibrator in LA works on the Seiki and tweaks it enough to pass as an inexpensive 4K Client monitor option

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?98027-1299-Seiki-UHDTV-50-quot-SE50UY04-Bought-it-today/page30

1. some have successfully accessed the "locked" Advanced menu on this set...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?98027-1299-Seiki-UHDTV-50-quot-SE50UY04-Bought-it-today/page29

seiki4KPV.JPG
    1833 x 1049 - 164K
  • 34 Replies sorted by
  • Ouch, cool, thanks @NickBen.

Yep, keep us updated.

• Awesome Nick. Looking forward to how you get on with this lil' 4k babe.

• we are testing with 1080p source first... can you guess the film? (c) 20th Century Fox

SeikiUHDTV.JPG
    2048 x 1536 - 958K
  • Nick, can you confirm if there is a USB slot / if so does it work for external input? or is it just factory thing?

• @driftwood multiple USB slots

• if so does it work for external input? or is it just factory thing?

Usually they are for USB drives/flash to play video. Sometimes also work for wi-fi stick.

• Yeah, just wanted to confirm its same /similar to USB ports on Pany Viera - e.g. charging 3D glasses or playing from sdcards/drives/usb devices :-)

Film: probs bladerunner or a batman movie?! Avatar isnt a WB film so...?

• @Faudel I think that's for Vitaliy to decide with his 'Bargains Deals' section if he ever felt like contacting them. Because a 'Personal-View 4K TV' sounds better :-) Also diificult - as you'd probably have to order many thousands!

• Prometheus ;)

• @laaldeapro Shit! yeah, of course - its the ship from Prometheus.

• So no 1080p scaling, that's too bad. At 3840 x 2160 is there any overscan? Can you do a pixel perfect desktop? Another test would be to see if you can overdrive the HDMI past 30hz. Will it go manually to 31hz, 32hz, etc?

• @NickBen Would you be able to comment on using any applications on the screen, i.e. working with Premiere Pro or After Effects? Do the applications scale to these resolutions or does the whole thing fall apart? Fascinated to know if this could be a replacement for my everyday working screen.

• update 2 and conclusion after 3 days...

Very good news if you like state-of-art tech at rock-bottom prices...

• @plasmasmp First, thank you for your posts on your website about using a Plasma for a desktop about a year ago.

I'll be a little more careful about saying scaling versus line doubling- the set does scale to one of the existing Height or width dimensions, BUT there is no line doubling or quadrupling technology built in as far as I can tell, unlike the expensive Sony's at 4 to 10 times the cost. I actually prefer minimal interference with the input signal.

My current 3840 x 2160 desktop is pixel perfect as far as I can tell. I am literally one arm length away reading text which is not clearly visible at 5 feet away. The amount of detail is there. This single monitor now replaces a couple of monitors we were planning on getting.

Keep contributing to posts especially on 4K if you pickup this set or another, as I like your reviews.

• @NickBen Thank you! I'll pick one up for a 4k desktop for sure. The set would actually be perfect if it would display each 1080p pixel as 4 individual pixels and accept a 120hz input in 1080p mode.

• Guys tell that if you use TJM88351 code price will be $1199 (at TD)

• Interesting...

I would like to hear about color. Is it accurate? Does the monitor clip the shadows? i.e. if you go into the editor and add a curve to a clip so that the waveform goes close to 0 but not quite there, do you see all the detail in the image (as in my Sony 52") or does it look as if it was 100% black (as in my Samsung 32")?

• Is this 'machine' a 4kTV o 4k monitor?

• We had some fun at the office today with more content, 24p at 1920 x 2205 3D files, etc. The guys love this set, and thanks VK for posting the new coupon code!

We had several requests for 1 pixel level details, attached the following sets of 1 pixel height lines in black

yes, you can easily see 1 pixel level details at 3840 x 2160 close up

Attached cropped photo for the pixel fetish crowd...

PS. after viewing, please wipe your nose prints off the screen

pixel level details.jpg
    291 x 223 - 39K
  • Regarding my request (does it clip shadows or highlights?)

You can check it easily with this chart: http://www.similaar.com/foto/calibra/calibra.html How many stripes do you see in the black side of the chart? And in the white side?

• 3D files, etc.

Hold the phone... this thing isn't 3D is it???

• if this is the same panel then it is 3d capabable, is it passive or active 3d?

http://www.panelook.com/V500DK1-LS1_Innolux_50_LCM_parameter_17279.html

• Have you tried any GH2 footage up converted to 4K and if so, how does it look?