Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • That craigslist ad shows the location of the Pocket Cam, north of Little Tokyo near City Hall. Either the Yakuza is selling off their BMPCC stash or (ex) Mayor Villaraigosa is getting rid of his!

• @jleo Former Mayor Villaraigosa, it's Mayor Garcetti now ;)

• @Wilbo lol, yeah, my watch is a few months slow!

• April 8th. And in the first hour when they start pre-ordering

• not made by me, just thought interesting to see.

• Ugh, that looks bad. Wonder though if he can see it on the display or if it's in the recording.

• @nomad i've asked him , i'll let you know .

• @nomad it seems it's possible to see in the display (I've read it somewhere...)

• I believe I read over on the BM forum that the problems are visible whilst recording, on the rear screen.

• This doesn't look good for a company that I really want to see succeed.

• May be BM will be the company that will invent camera without sensor? As it seems like sensors are something that make all the problems in their products.

• While the blooms at night are pretty bad, footage like this is more alarming to me and may be pretty gross to work around:

• Maybe it'll become a new fad ;-)

• Maybe it'll become a new fad ;-)

Like rolling shutter jello is?

Hate that fad.

• wow..look at the bloom on the cars in the first few seconds!!

• deal breaker! :s

• I got mine yesterday, have yet to find time to play with it. I'm no elitist either, just good timing. not one to upload random test shots either. ordered 5th July here in Australia from a non mainstream reseller.

those car bloom look balls! might have to shoot and see for myself.

• Does the Back Magic Cinema Camera have the bloom problem?

• I hate to say this but some of the clips that are extreme examples of blooming look as if they're shot that way intentionally; not all but some purposely overexposed to point out the problem. I'd like to see someone shoot with the BMPCC exposing for the highlights then recovering shadow detail in post. Let's see what that looks like. And rack focus to bring the source-light in detailed view. So far from what I've seen the "blooms" are overexposed and / or out of focus.

• "Goodness, Gracious, Great Balls of Fire!" -Jerry Lee Lewis

-Humorous break from the discussion. I normally write very serious posts...

Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 1.17.19 PM.png
    635 x 351 - 271K
    Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 1.18.36 PM.png
    635 x 344 - 258K
  • @ehr You can spend 2 minutes and look for the answer in previous pages of this post.
    Well... why bother? The answer is NO.

• @lmackreath

That does look like a huge problem.

• To me its not big deal... if you tell enough people you did it on purpose like say "anamorphic lens flares" which have always been a side effect of the technology (at least before they were considered esthetically pleasing) maybe people will think....Oh yeah the light balls look awesome!!!!! And other cameras will have to have special adapters to shoot light balls as cool as yours... Own the balls... own em.

• wow that car footage is really bad... the blooming, I mean. Maybe Phillip Bloom can find a way to market the camera using his name.

"Make your footage shine with: The Bloom Cam..."

Recovering shadow detail with these cameras is a no go... with the BMCC you have to aim for shadow exposure and let the highs blow (within range) and then recover in post. Under-exposed shadows get pretty ugly...