Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
will these Minolta lenses work with GH2?
  • 27 Replies sorted by
  • Bloomsday, Just making sure you are aware of this because this same question gets asked all over the internet: "Will this lens work with my GH2?" There's just a few key point you need to know because I hate when people give you vague answers to really important questions that lead you to spending more money then you need to.

So what you need to know is that each different camera system has it's own lens mount system to go along with it. Over time, the mounts change to accommodate newer technologies like auto focus and automatic aperture control. You want to stay away from those lenses. Only manual lenses can be adapted to the GH2. So, Minolta uses "MD" mount, Canon uses FD mount, Olympus is "OM" , Pentax "PK" mount, etc. You should look up the different lens mounts for each manufacturer because they change over time and it's important to know which ones work and which ones don't. So, each of these lens mounts needs it's own mount adaptor. So if you got that pack of Minolta lenses, you would buy a single MD to Micro 3/4 adaptor ("MD-M4/3"). Other Minolta lenses you buy will be able to use the same adaptor too. Later if you get a Canon lens, you can pick up an FD to Micro 4/3 adaptor and so on and so on.

I have 4 minolta lenses, 2 Pentax and 2 Nikons and only one adaptor for each of the different systems. It's true that the cheap ones can break as they are usually made out of aluminum. But, these are usually so cheap that if it does break, it's easy enough to replace. I've had mine for some time and haven't noticed any kind of ware and tear on them yet.

By the way, the trick of buying a old camera just to pick up a few lenses is actually a great trick that I use all the time. If someone is selling a big bag of camera stuff, chances are pretty hight that they don't know what it's worth. Just a tip. ;-)

• Oh and if you need help with basics of photography, youtube is an amazing asset. :-)