Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @brianluce If I still had a quote board, that would definitely go on it. :)

Okay, that made me laugh enough to relax to go to bed. I think I'll hit the hay shortly.

• $1299?!?!

Too expensive! If Panasonic want me to buy one it should be $750 body only! ;-D

Clearly Panasonic are aiming for the Dslr crowd in the design of the GH3 rather than its own entity. Aiming for new customers.

Guys dont expect 4.2.2 itll be 4.2.0 you know it.

Also does it matter if it (rumoured) has a Sony sensor? Sony make great sensors. :-p

I think the "leaks" are basically due to the Sony announcements and to remind the GH3 coming.

• Also does it matter if it (rumoured) has a Sony sensor? Sony make great sensors

In fact, it is extremely important, as temporary financial and technical advantage to use third party sensor and not invest money in your own team and specs always has clear consequences. Look at Nikon as example.

• So VK...

You are going to 'hack' this one? Because I just LOVE that build quality. The GH2 was like using a box of tissues.

Now all we need are some high end lenses... Looks like I will be saving up for Olympus! :-(

• the release of "genesis" yesterday was a totally sanctioned and approved decision by Panasonic from the very start.

VK: I edited my post to make it clear.

• @PhilipBloom I would have been surprised if it were not. :)

Genesis definitely came across a lot better than the leaked promo video, so I am glad it was up so soon after, but I did not think that the timing was a reaction to that.

• @PhilipBloom dont be to emotional and tell us about the sensor :-P Its more important than talk about NDA if we are hours before NDA ending.

• Specially for Philip.

Release from PB before NDA end does not mean that PB broke NDA. It means exactly that is written, that feature had been releasedh full Panasonic approval!) before NDA ceased to exist and people who had been involved in testing started telling opinions and tech details. Period.

We fully understand that it was sanctioned.

PB still do not answer any questions concerning GH3. And openly state that he is under NDA still.

• If the codec is good, and it has headphone and proper mic levels (maybe even XLR), then it's very reasonably priced for the body. I mean, what's the alternative in this price range, right? With a couple of Noktons, good value proper video production out of the box in small package.

• The latest official news about the Panasonic restructuring its image sensors department as a part semiconductor business were presented in July: http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.de/2012/07/panasonic-in-transition.html There have been specifically mentioned, that Panasonic plants to enter mobile imaging with its MOS sensors. However, the rumors are that the LX7 was already fabricated by some other manufacture (in fact, Aptina is among the candidates). The G5 sensor, even though it lacks the multi-aspect capability is made by Panasonic. As for the GH3, let's wait and see. The "foreign"-sensor rumor can be just a FUD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt).

• i think panasonic did it right.
    they have full focus for tomorrow.........
    they give something, but just not enough, so we want to see more, and as fast as possible...

• @John_Farragut The main alternative is staying with the GH2 instead of opting for the new features.

I think most of us would be happy to upgrade as long as the price was reasonable and we did not lose any features/functionality. I think many are apprehensive about the possibility that there may have been things that are not as good on the GH3 as the GH2 - an apprehension that has been triggered by the possibility of a single-aspect ratio sensor from another manufacturer, etc.

Hopefully our fears are unfounded and the GH3 will be able to do everything the GH2 does except better, in which case it mainly becomes a waiting game on the price for some.

But the 600D and 6D both are two full-frame competitors at a slightly higher price-point and if you go higher than that there is a ton of competition: most notably the BMCC.

Anyway, I am not saying the GH3 will not be a good camera. I am just saying there is a lot more pressure now on the Monday press conference with a lot of anxiety while there had mainly been anticipation before.

@igorek7 @mozes I hope you are right. Let's see if they can turn this around when they have our attention. :)

• @igorek7

I had information about Sony sensor in GH3 from different sources. So, I am almost sure in this.

they give something, but just not enough, so we want to see more, and as fast as possible...

Yes, as I said, hired some cheap US PR agency. Or asked film "pros", that is even worse.
    But most probably two leaks was just plain accidents.

• The G5 has many similarities, sensor size, EVF, framerates, etc.

• as mentioned on my site I can talk about the camera tomorrow once the camera has officially been announced. All I can tell you is what I am allowed to tell you and that is all mentioned in the blog post. Tomorrow is that far away!

• Price :/ Hard to say cause final specs could soften the blow. We are used to the GH2 being less refined, having fewer features than SLR, but cheaper, and powerful enough in video to make up for it. But the GH3 might have a Sony sensor, so if the picture just looks like the picture out of a NEX-6 which also has a lot of GH3 features 16MP sensor, Wifi, etc - you will compare the price. The NEX-6 body is $850.

The GH3 is more of a package than a NEX-6 but how $$$ more?

Also feeling sensor anxiety!

• sensor anxiety! thats a new one in human species. Think im gettin it too.

• @vicx

We'll hear good things tomorrow and some not very good things. But overall pretty positive, according to my sources.

• So...it is sony sensor :(... snif, snif. (my eye is swaeting im not crying)

• 1860mAh battery (think GH2 was 1200) + OLED, so battery life will b greatly improved.

• Might it be a good idea to look at the other 16mp sony sensor on a m43 camera for ideas about the possible output?

OM-D?

• @Jizzyjones That is good news. At the moment I am waiting to see how the ATC 15,000 MAH fares on the GH2, though.

@matthere Difficult to look at it given how differently video is supported on it (framerates, bitrates, etc.)

• Would be interesting to see how the dynamic range and colorspace stack up again the blackmagic. If they can offer even 10 stops of DR and 4:2:2 colorspace, I would buy 2 of these and sell all the gear I have accumulated. BMCC is an unknown commodity, while Panny has delivered twice (actually VK has delivered for them :-) )

XLR is not as important as people make it out to be. The Rode VM mounted on-camera is good enough. XLR only has an advantage when the mic is mounted off-camera, where vibration, ruggedness and distance is important.

Its also interested that @PhilipBloom mentioned more rolling shutter in the BMCC than the GH2. Hmm! Bad sensor readout design ?

• Hard to set up a launching campaign worst than this. It seems they managed to demolish all the good hype created in the last few weeks. Anyway the lack of multi-aspect sensor is something really bad. It was one of the unique features of the GH line and now seems to be gone. pretty disappointing.

And the price is for body only version? WHAT?! and the shutter is just 1/4000. how could this be a pro-body? craziness.

• I'm not a techie. I can understand that no multi-aspect for stills means they crop the vertical and don't use the full sensor, but if this is still 16MB, then how is it bad?

Second related question - how is this bad for video?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions