Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/gh3 - all info about GH3 from Photokina and other sources

Also check

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4657/official-gh3-deficiencies-and-whines-topic

Specifications

• Effective Megapixels - 16.05 Megapixels (17.20 total)
    • Live MOS/17.3 x 13.0 mm (in 4:3 aspect ratio), not multi aspect
    • 200 - 12800 ISO
    • SD, SDHC, SDXC cards compatible (don't see UHS)
    • 3.0" 640k OLED Monitor with static touch control
    • USB 2.0 (sic!)
    • Video - AVCHD 2.0 1080p50 (PAL), 1080p60 (NTSC), 1080p24 (with slow and fast variations, like 12fps and 50fps).
    • Shutter Speeds - 60-1/4000
    • Flash modes - Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction (when iA, iA+), Forced On, Forced On/Red-eye Reduction, Slow Sync., Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction
    • Battery - Li-ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1860mAh), old or new?
    • Continuous Shooting Speed - 6 fps
    • Weather Proof - yes
    • WB - Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Shade, Incandescent, Flash, White Set 1, 2, Color temperature setting
    • Dimensions - 132.9 x 93.4 x 82.0mm / 5.23 x 3.68 x 3.23 in
    • Weight - 550g
    • Price - $1299 (body only!)

Available at:

Also check http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4641/gh3-preordering-and-availability-topic

http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/gh3 - all info about GH3 from Photokina and other sources

gh3_1.jpg
    652 x 476 - 48K
    gh3_2.jpg
    636 x 465 - 41K
    gh3_4.jpg
    627 x 449 - 38K
    gh3_3.jpg
    617 x 392 - 28K
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • Some expensive. U$1,300 only the body.

• Yep, not really cheap.

• Well, we see no 120fps, the price is ok by the increase in capability and body design. As i said, it is officially a mature product, the first one in panasonic "pro" aproach for m4/3. Lets wish them the best, and for us too!!

Lets enjoy the camera.

• Yet, the lauch is most horrible from all that I saw.

1. Leak from Panasonic USA that rumor guys found in minutes.
    2. Panasonic approved release of Genesis short film by PB, but otherwise NDA concerning camera is still valid until monday.
    3. Now Samys leak.

May be it is work of some cheap agency?

• I think it not so good aproach by today standars in marketing. But that is of no importance if camera is good enough, people will talk and that will be fame or ruin.

• Thing that I "like" is build in mikes location.

• Next thing I hate about it is old lugs, they are making camera uncomfortable to hold. It is even more strange that they made good lugs for other models.

• The only thing im really concernd is, all about the sensor. Even though it looks smaller i think cos of the bigger body, but also its shape look really m4/3 standard, 4:3 almost like 35mm standar film. All that rumors talking about if its not a sony sensor, make me wonder, why they choose that, if panasonic is more than capable for building this... hmmm. Maybe we will se another "SENSOR" version later this year. I dont know maybe little bit too much for them, but i dont find any reason for the sensor being sony only for the lack of FPN and avalability that panasonic has trouble before...but why sony..?

• What about the sensor is made by Sony?

• Yes, I never liked the GH2 lugs and again here on the GH3. Canon does it right with the lugs at least.

Is this a Sony sensor? Sony is taking over.

• I'm still curious about the rumored XLR attachment. Will it have a proprietary connection on the side or thru the Hot Shoe on the top like the Sony A99?

I'm surprised no pics yet of the side of the camera with the covers open so we can see what the arrangement of connectors look like.

I notice that they don't have the little lever for the zoom that is on the G5. DO you think they will assign the wheel behind the Shutter release button to have zoom control functions?

• Only thing i actually dont like is the usb 2.0 (make it too chep to be true !!! lol ) and the lack of support for UHS SD cards. I though it would be suporting new P2 SD cards by defacto. Looks its not like it, even if its a "pro" line m4/3.

• The thing here is that we have 5 custom buttons. The most probable option is the rear wheel being multi funtion. ( i miss the roket leveler on G5, was cool )

• At least I understand this one leak.

Most probably they decided to check how much complains about price people will make.
    So, keep complaining!

• It is really too early to tell about UHS - it might just not be considered important by marketing, or it might not be there.

Price is close to what we had been braced to expect. Honestly, I think they have over-priced it. It should not have exceeded the original price of the GH2 with a kit lens for a body only. Especially with the ca. $2,000 and $3,000 options offered by their competitors.

They may have priced people into buying a GH2 instead.

The upper limit on the ISO will be nice if the sensor can support interesting detail in the noise.

I really miss the multi-aspect sensor - but I guess it will mean less vignetting on some lenses. Sad how you sometimes don't realize how much something means to you until it is gone.

In terms of the lower resolution higher-frame rates: there is nothing to support that they are there, but I would be happy if it turned out they were.

So far, 1080 60P and weatherproofing same to be the main selling points. If someone does not need those, then the details we are about to find out become very important (in terms of specific image quality, etc.)

I am hoping that the specifics blow me away, because at the moment I am less enthusiastic about the camera than I thought I would be. Of course, low expectations may make me a happier camper anyway. :)

• HDR (High Dynamic Range)

I want to know what this means? One button Stills HDR?

HDR video like red?

• The Sync support is for camera sync or only flash?

• Little bit worried that there's no on board stereo mics :(

• I have been very interested to hear about the gh3, and anticipated getting one, but if there isn't 720/120/100 I think I can live without 1080/60/50 it would be a nice addition for sure, but with the resolution on the gh2's 720/60 being good already, I don't think it is worth an extra £800/$1300 just for 1080/60 and splash proof. I am still very interested to see if the codec still holds any surprises.. But that is a lot of money to spend when I already have a really good camera in my hand!

• So it only does 60p and 50p?

• @brianluce

It is very incomplete specs.

• @matthere very good point about money and value fo camera. it is worth it? hmmm maybe not looking it that way.

We have also not hear about color. Will it be 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 ?

• @Vitaliy

I'm sure they've included 24p. Hope so :/ I'm hoping the GH3 will improve significantly on latitude. GH2 image is already sharp enough and alias free for me. But I'd be willing to pay for more latitude, that the only small weakness for the GH2 in my mind.

• I think a lot of us have been caught off-guard by the possibility that the sensor may have gone in a different direction as opposed to simply refining the one on the GH2.

I am hoping it all turns out well, though. Just a little anxiety inducing.

• I think a lot of us have been caught off-guard by the possibility that the sensor may have gone in a different direction as opposed to simply refining the one on the GH2.

I know right? You guys have me paranoid that the GH3 is going to reincarnate in video mode as a 7d or moire machine.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions