Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
35mm film is not so good!
  • I went to movies last weekend and saw Batman and The Expendables 2, both projected in 35mm film, the projection focus was good. I do not know if these movies was shoot on 35mm film but the projection was. I found the image was very soft from something about 15 meters from screen, I think my eyes got more trained after watching FullHD videos from TV and downloaded DSLR footage so I think 35mm film is not that image king myth. Of course resolution is not everything, there are dynamic range, shadow detail, no compression problems and so on, but the image itself is not so good, very soft. I think 4k shoot and projection will be better. I just see 2k projection until today and i liked it.

• 50 Replies sorted by
  • According to serious tests (SMPTE) the resolution of 35mm film when it arrives on screen maxes out around 900 lines.

• @nomad - How interesting, that's almost exactly the same as the GH2's resolution!

• @apefos A lot of this has to do with the quality of the transfer, and of the projector. It should also go without saying that the beauty of 35mm film doesn't lie in its effective resolution, but in its latitude, cadence, and color space.

There are plenty of perfectly sharp 35mm films. I'm sorry, but I don't think you can claim to negate the 35mm film medium based on two viewings of film transfers. It's still the gold standard against which all other motion picture media are compared, and with good reason. Its days may be numbered, but I really don't think anyone with any knowledge or expertise would say that the current generation of DSLR sensors come anywhere close to outperforming 35mm film.

• @Sangye - Of course you are right about the advantages of film. But is some ways digital already has the advantage:

1) When digital is reproduced there need not be any degradation of the image. 2) The newer digital sensors outperform film in low light. I have a Nikon D800 that can produce virtually noise free images (video, that is) at well over ISO 1600 - and that's with no NR applied. 3) Digital is much cheaper (free, essentially). 4) Digital is much easier to edit. Even if you scan film - well... at that point you have used a digital sensor for scanning. 5) you can get instant feedback with digital. On set, there is a big advantage to this.

Eventually, digital will reign supreme - when issues like global shutters, etc... are resolved. I read somewhere that the last film based movie camera to be manufactured (from the majors) was built last year. I think these guys have recognized that the handwriting is on the wall - even if we aren't quite there yet.

• @apefos - Maybe you need glasses.

• Of course there is the film "look". But eventually that will be digitally reproducible as well. It's a little like vinyl records versus digital. It's not just that vinyl is better or worse - in fact, a major reason to prefer vinyl and tubes is because the distortion they produce is pleasant. At some point digital will be able to do all that perfectly - it's just a matter of time. Now, how close we are to that today - well... that's and entirely different question.

• @cbrandin

Do not touch vynil. Most fun is to have real vynil collection, search, anticipate. Adjust turntable, change stylus. Some kind of meditation.

My Squeezebox can't be handled similar way.

• Right you are - sometimes the journey is more important than the destination:>) I have to admit - the Zen potential with digital is pretty low.

• I don't understand that fascination with 35mm film either still. Sure there are a 'few' advantages still... but they are small and disappearing. Besides, it's all about the story... right? A bad movie shot on 35mm, is still a bad movie. It's nothing more than an elitist format, that the old grumpy established career filmmakers would like to believe still puts them in a class above students and amateurs... this is all. Digital has so many CREATIVE (the most important) advantages, that it seems crazy to me that anyone even attempts to shoot film anymore.

It's almost like reverse cognitive dissonance... where if the digital/DSLR/whatever format is widely available for everyone... then it must be wrong, and definitely not "professional". Regardless of performance.

• the last film based movie camera to be manufactured (from the majors) was built last year.

here we go .. mention film and we're all on that same old merry-go-round of misinformation.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev - can we have one of those definitive beginners' topics for film where all the up-to-date info is in one place and opinion doesn't come into it?

• I don't understand that fascination with 35mm film either still. Sure there are a 'few' advantages still... but they are small and disappearing. Besides, it's all about the story... right? A bad movie shot on 35mm, is still a bad movie. It's nothing more than an elitist format, that the old grumpy established career filmmakers would like to believe still puts them in a class above students and amateurs... this is all. Digital has so many CREATIVE (the most important) advantages, that it seems crazy to me that anyone even attempts to shoot film anymore.

I don't understand that fascination with wooden violins either still. Sure there are a 'few' advantages still... but they are small and disappearing. Besides, it's all about the composition... right? A bad violin concerto played on violin, is still a bad concerto. It's nothing more than an elitist format, that the old grumpy established career musicians would like to believe still puts them in a class above students and amateurs... this is all. Music synthesizers have so many CREATIVE (the most important) advantages, that it seems crazy to me that anyone even attempts to play the violin anymore.

I don't understand that fascination with oil painting either... ;-)

• Hey, the days are still long in the Northern hemisphere and a few films are being shot. Why not get a job as an extra, hang around the catering tent at lunchtime and meet some of the guys and girls shooting on film?

• @goanna This is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Different art forms... both perceived differently altogether.

Why not get a job as an extra, hang around the catering tent at lunchtime and meet some of the guys and girls shooting on film?

I have, to an extent. I also feel that the current system is extremely convoluted and unnecessary. It only has existed for so long because there has never been alternative production methods that have rivaled Hollywood's monopoly. This is changing quickly, and the last people I would want to learn from are those still shooting on film. Only the end product matters. I'd like to develop and innovate my own methods to get there.

Don't mistake this for disrespect though. I very much admire and respect the masters of the art, past and present, however... times change... and I think allot of it's bloated now.

• today i went to movies again, late afternoon. i saw two films, both projected in 35mm film. Total Recall and Seking a friend for the end of the world, two kind of script, i like them. I saw the two half time in back row, half time in front row, what i can say is: in front row image is very very soft, not pleasant, in back row image is amazing, all the beauty of 35mm film blows out and are wonderfull. i agree vinil and tape have its charming as 35mm film does, but digital quality have its advantages also. 4k cinema will outperform 35mm film, but for the vintage people who likes the pop noise from vinil, the hiss from tape, the grain and texture from film, digital will not be that same experience. I saw Avatar in 2k digital projection and there is no organic look as 35mm film projection have. The image is great but it lacks that romantic vintage look. But lets be realistics, us, the indie people, we do not have the money to shoot 35mm film. it is so expensive for us. the hacked gh2 with some tweaking in shooting and post can give us some kind of the vintage look we like. some grain in camera, some grain in post, some shallow dof, some cinematic light... Just an advice for the vintage romantic girls and guys: find and buy a vinil record from the brazilian singer Caetano Veloso, try to find one of the first released ones. you will fell it have all the charming from the vinil era.

• @apefos

Thanks for the test. Also glad to read that we're back on the original thread's topic regarding projection formats.

I'm surprised the topic's still around - as well as the projectionists, the prints and the projectors. For me, it was settled in -(was it 1984, International Youth Year?). I'd hired a Film camera operator to shoot my ads about youth, and voiced my concern that it would looked video-ish if edited in Betacam. His response then was as valid as it is today. Pointing at the film-plane of his CP16, he said:

"Once it's been through here, It will always look like film"

• @goanna - Why not use daguerreotypes, or 8 track tapes, or mercury to treat VD, or tape based studios, or arc lamps, or Edison cylinders, or zoetropes, or 78's. Why bother with stereo, surround sound, color film, widescreen, etc..., etc.... Red herring argument... Tell me - what is the cinematic medium equivalent of a Stradivarius - Kodak, Fuji, Ansco? Hell, with that logic, movies - no matter how they are shot - would be considered newfangled faddist nonsense anyway.

• All i can say is: no matter the medium... what matters is the script, the story told... and how the director shows it for us... I preffer an old VHS tape as a medium for a pleasant script than an Arri Alexa for a bad script. Of course if you want to sell your movie the medium matters, but put the money away... what keeps in table? the script!

• Do yourselves a favor. Go to your local art house theater when they're projecting an old movie. It could be from the 50's, or it could be from the nineties. It doesn't really matter, as long as they're showing a good print. I've seen great prints of 50's films that looked better than anything digital today. I've also seen prints from today that look horrible. You have to go to a trustworthy theater that cares about it's prints. Great theaters will even warn you if it's a bad print.
    Seeing a movie in a theater today that wasn't shot on film is not an accurate test. Just the same, if you see a movie that was shot on film today, then had a digital intermediate, then projected on film, it's still not the same.
    You really have to see a movie that was shot on film, color timed on film, and projected on film to really appreciate it. I don't know what it is, but I still think there's nothing that compares to it. Of course low light is better on digital, and digital has many advantages. But when it comes to the final product, I think film still sings.
    Of course, when they were making the tree of life they used a digital intermediate for the first time in Malick's career. Apparently modern film stocks are too contrasty, they couldn't get the right look coloring timing the film. I guess there's not really an option these days besides digital... But it's a shame because like I said, there's nothing like seeing a great print of an old movie. It looks so much better than anything done today. (the colors, the depth, the grain structure).
    There's also an argument that film is better to shoot with. Yeah, on set now you can watch monitors and what not. You also have a whole digital village with five producers watching at the same time. It used to be you had to trust your camera operator. If they messed up, they told you. There was magic there.

Another note: remember Imax is the equivalent of an 8K camera, at least that's what they say and I believe it.
    It's a shame that film has come to an end :( Of course, I wouldn't have a career right now if it wasn't for cheap beautiful digital cameras, but I sure do miss seeing movies shot and projected on film.

• Here in Brazil the digital theaters are 2k and the IMAX theaters are 4k. I had no opportunity to go to an imax theater yet. Yes, in my life i saw some movies without digital intermediate and yes they are amazing. In college i was in the team of a series with one chapter shoot in 16mm film and i saw it projected and my chin felt down... need to say something else? but we are in digital era. I bought an K3 16mm camera, but when i realised the money to buy the film, the money to pay the development, the money to telecine, i found, man, i am the wrong way... and i sold it.

• Go look at a fresh answer print and then tell us 35mm is soft. Every year they keep saying digital will soon surpass film. But it never happens. If you want the best, go rent a Panavision. Digital is cheap and good, but if you want the best, get film.

• @cbrandin

Please get this one right:

1) This thread started out about projection formats and we all have lots to discover about advancements there.

2) There's another topic (or several) for opinions on film and for crystal-ball fortune-tellers as to which medium will win:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/73724#Comment_73724

As for a separate topic for insults:

grumpy established career filmmakers would like to believe still puts them in a class above students

People working with film are doing honest work. Film is loved. I'll leave the hurtfulness. mind-reading and psychoanalysis thread up to @bwhitz.

• @goanna I don't know that this thread was initially entirely about projection technology as there was mention of DR, lack of compression yuckies, and shadow detail.

• @Daspenberg Having shot super8, 16mm, and some 35mm myself, I pretty much agree with everything you said. There's just something magical about film. If you have seen "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button" on a big screen you probably know what I'm talking about. A few scenes were shot on film, and it's pretty easy to pick them out...

• @brianluce

I went to movies last weekend and saw Batman and The Expendables 2, both projected in 35mm film...

Of course there will be related comments within threads, but if every thread about film is allowed to turn into the same circular conversation, newcomers will not see what's been written about a particular aspect.

• @apefos

Good reports about projection experiences! I'm wondering whether you could find a projectionist somewhere you could take to a screening with you? Lots of things can go wrong with a screening. Professional eyes will help.

If, as you say @Sangye , good film print projections can still stand out in some special way, then just maybe there'll still be product differentiation - (something special available) - a reason for people to go out to a screening instead of watch digitally at home.

-which is a long shot, considering the distribution factors already well and truly in place, cheap, fast - and digital.