Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Definitive Hackintosh topic
  • 359 Replies sorted by
  • Considering update to 10.8.4. Maybe I can hit lucky 13000 ;-) Note: no overclock & no peripherals, etc. BOX = 10"X8"X22½" @ 43°C max idle.

• @vicharris WOW! My total came to $839: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/2006520 But I had a 128GB 830 from my MBP (vintage flavored SSD, lol)

• I think my total was around $1600 but I added another 240GB SSD. I'll probably put the OS on that drive soon instead. I might try to overclock mine a little bit but not sure if I need it. My cpu has a liquid cooled unit on it though.

• @vicharris or he's using 2 of those at the same time or it is massively overclocked meaning it won't last more than a year... but 12000 isn't a bad score by the way!

(edit)

add: mac pro 2008 8 cores are 12000 on geekbench

• €2244 for the 6 core i7 3960 hackintosh build (just the basic parts) €1450 for the 4 core i7 3770 hackintosh build (just the basic parts) €1200 for a refurbished 8 core mac pro 2,8gHz (early 2008), would still have to buy SSD and 16G of ram probably...

i'm tempted by that 8 core but the damn thing is already 5 years old...

what are your thoughts on this guys?

• The second sentence you post is the one I'm talking about. Same chip as mine but scored 18000 and mine scores 12500 ish.

• @vicharris the score said 8 cores, so maybe he used a double cpu setup?

• I'm around 12000 without overclocking. Not sure how he got 18000 since we have the same chip. Prob overclocked.

• I don't know if geekbench can be a measure in this but the Intel Core i7-3930K (6-core) hackintoshes outperform the 8-core Mac Pro's in the 20K vs 18K scores

on the other hand the i7 3770 hackintosh like this one http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1170091 states it has 8 cores and should be a quad so how in the end it all adds up i don't know.

But it appears to be that the fastest i7 3770 is or almost is equal to the 8 core Mac Pro. So i guess the 6 core hack should be a pretty safe bet for my build

• @ninetto thanks for your post! you just gave me the confidence in trying a more complicated build as long as it is described well and has been tried and done before. This week and next i'll be checking what build i'm going to do and i'll start ordering parts once the setup has been confirmed by guys at tonymacx86.

can't wait to break free from the limitations of my duocore imac... Unfortunately i can't use it as a monitor for my hackintosh...

"hi andreevanberlo, don't be scared. It's like this: first off Apple has nothing to offer in this category and if they ever do you will be having to pay triple for a system that will probably be as hard to update as Macs have always been. Secondly, the nervous stuff is only at the beginning: and true, if the installation is faulty it can set off a long chain-reaction of headaches that nobody wants to deal with. But the deal is this: if you are careful choosing your parts, and exactly follow a tried-and-true installation method, the thing will be up and running within an hour and you will never have to ever change a thing, or deal with terms like "speed stepping" (which is only a way for the software to save heat, energy, wear-and-tear on your cpu). Because OSX is really not a bad operating system when it comes to stability."

• @vicharris so I read the first version of your post wrong and built a system much like you describe but with the GA-Z77N-Wifi board (also i7, the 660, etc). So I have a shoebox sized unit sitting on my desk that smokes most Mac Pros. Resolve throws up an error that the set up is not fast enough at start up, but since the 10.8.3 graphics drivers the stress tests exceed the FPS on the "standard system" from last year. In the end it was one flag and two kexts and the rest was butter. WOW.

• hi andreevanberlo, don't be scared. It's like this: first off Apple has nothing to offer in this category and if they ever do you will be having to pay triple for a system that will probably be as hard to update as Macs have always been. Secondly, the nervous stuff is only at the beginning: and true, if the installation is faulty it can set off a long chain-reaction of headaches that nobody wants to deal with. But the deal is this: if you are careful choosing your parts, and exactly follow a tried-and-true installation method, the thing will be up and running within an hour and you will never have to ever change a thing, or deal with terms like "speed stepping" (which is only a way for the software to save heat, energy, wear-and-tear on your cpu). Because OSX is really not a bad operating system when it comes to stability.

• I actually got the list off another site that confirmed it was all compatible but it had links to all the tonymac stuff too so it was sort of one in the same. I'll find it but I think most of the lower, middle and high end systems have the same specs.

• @vicharris that's a relief! Did you just buy the suggested parts from the TonyOSX site and dived in head first? I'm thinking just going for one of the "goldenbuilds", something that has proven itself already. I guess if you've got your head on straight all should be ok :-)

• @andrevanberio I was a bit worried about the whole Hackintosh thing but it was much easier than I thought. I had a couple hiccups but after a little bit of research, everything is running smooth.

• @ninetto thanks for your response!

I was hoping someone would tell me the current i7 quadcores outperform the old 8 core macpro's but I guess I gotta let that pipe dream go.

Do you think a quad core could handle the workload if i ditch the idea of recording the HD streams? (i could always use BM hyperdecks for that)

I was actually also thinking of a hexacore or 8-12core setup so i will take your advice in checking the x79 builds. Power management isn't working in those builds and they keep mentioning speedstepping but i don't know what the hell they're talking about there...

I'm kinda "scared" getting myself into the whole hackintosh thing affraid I'll be one of those people who can't get their shit together but an actual mac pro is just too much dinero...

• Hey that is some serious bandwidth you are going to need, recording and streaming from 3 HD-sources simultaneously. The hardware and tasks you are talking about are so specific, it might be hard to get some guaranteed tried-and-true respones with your query. If wirecast specs say "8 core minimum" you might be well advised to check out the Hex-core X79 Hackintoshes. I myself have a mere quad X79, which I specifically got because you can pack it with twice as much RAM and there are more PCIe lanes available (yes, for Raid arrays) than with the Z77 boards. Good luck...

• Thanks @vicharris and @driftwood for your replies! If the setup beats the MBP i'm sure it'll obliterate my 2010 imac duocore :-) I will definitely check those SSD's you mentioned Nick!

But as i'm also going into live streaming, wirecast specs say i need an 8 core minimum to stream 3 sources (and record at the same time) so i was wondering if anyone has experience doing this with a fast quad core.

I was also considering to capture the seperate streams with 3 hyperdeck shuttles or maybe buy the Matrox VS4 Quad that supports ISO recording and perhaps the card takes the load of the cpu's a bit?.

I don't want to make the same mistake as i did with my imac in 2010 which turned out to be heavily "underspec-ed" once i started to get more serious about video..

• @andrevanberlo Check out my post and specs right above yours. Just built it and it smokes my 2011 MBP by at least 200%-300% in speeds for every function so far.

• @andrevanberlo You pretty much got the right spec down to a T already. Similar to mine. You won't look back. The Samsung 840 Pro series SSDs are rather tasty for the price you might wanna take a look at too.

• I have a question for you all. I am a noob to the hackintosh but used to build windows machines before i switched to mac. I have to upgrade to a faster machine because my imac duocore just can’t handle the workload and it’s slowing me down big time (rendertimes are dramatic) but i just can't afford a real mac pro.

So what do i want to do with the new machine: - Video Editing with about 100gig of footage per project, no heavy grading but quite a few animations (in the future) Audio Recording (studio) Live streaming of music lessons using 3 cameras (2x GH3 1xBMPCC) - was hoping to use the GH2 for streaming but i read somewhere it can’t be done.

This hardeware would have to function with the build: MOTU midi express 128 (USB) RME Fireface 800 (firewire 800 obviously) Roland VG99 (USB) Decklink Quad (planning to) OR 3x intensity pro (will the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH take 3 intensitypros?)

The question is, will the i7 below do the trick live streaming 3 cameras with wirecast? Someone on creative cow suggested i would need a 6 core or 8 core machine for that but i thought it was a somewhat older post and i’m hoping today’s quad cores are fast enough to do the job. And I’ve seen that people usually get their RME running on their hackintosh so i’m hoping on a smooth ride there.

This is what i would like to assemble, i know, nothing fancy, straight from tonymacx86 but i don’t have time to research this for months. I wanna build it and have it ready in a couple of days. Any suggestions on the system are welcome!

Intel Core i7-3770K GA-Z77X-UP5-TH 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GeForce GTX 670

SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD TP-Link PCI Express Corsair 650 Watt Modular Corsair Carbide 500R

All help and input is appreciated! :-)

André

• So I just built my first Hackintosh after months of research and all I can say is WOW! What a damn difference this is going from my MBP. I knew my MBP was just not good enough but everything is so lightening fast, it's kind of stupid. Of course I had a few hiccups here and there but there's more than enough info on the web to plow through it and square everything up.

Intel i7-3770K

Corsair Vengeance 32GB Ram

Gigabyte Z77 Motherboard

GeForce GTX 660 GC

850w PS

SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD

WD 1TB 7200 HD (will add a for more in the array)

LG BlueRay/DVD burner

TP Link Dual Band Wireless Adapter

Syba Firewire Card

BT adapter

OSX ML

• Thanks @Vitaliy_Kiselev, will consider that!

• @Flaaandeeers

Add SSD (you can check SSD deals topic :-) )

Plus add two 3TB 7200 drivers in raid.

And bunch of slow 3-4TB in storage for backups.

WIll be fast.

• Never mind. Won't do it. Will stick to W7, even when adding a new SSD. Too pussy :P