Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
  • Hi, everyone. Ever the control freak, I'm holding off on buying a tripod because I'm being picky when it comes to fluid heads. My big gripe with the run-of-the-mill heads is that when they tilt, they don't do so around the sensor, but rather quite a bit below it. This causes a shift between objects that are different distances from the camera.

I realize that to some, this doesn't matter, but for me personally, having the head pan and tilt around the center of the sensor imparts a special controlled look that I love.

The type of head most known for doing this successfully in filmmaking would be geared heads. Unfortunately, these are incredibly expensive and unnecessarily large (particularly for a DSLR setup).

The only other type of head that I could find that would even be capable of doing this is a gimbal. Vari-Zoom makes a video gimbal called the ZeroGravity, but the issue with this and other gimbal heads is a lack of counterbalance. Gimbal heads are designed under the assumption that the user will position the camera setup at its center of mass, therefore negating the need for counterbalance. Would it be possible to outfit a gimbal in such a way that it could align the camera's center of mass with the center of the sensor?

Does anyone know any other head types that would work in a similar fashion? Gimbal heads right now seem to be the best option, but I wonder first why nobody has created one with counterbalance, and secondly, why there are no geared gimbal heads available.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • In general (out on a limb) the "Camera and Rig's" centre of mass ends up forward of the sensor plane. As my "Camera and Rig" always include rods, I would extend the rods to the rear and attach counter weights to the rods. Hypothetical exaample .. the mattebox is taken off the camera rails, slide the rear counterweights forwards.

• Its not just that, these things can spin all around. Most rigs are top-heavy too. I'm basically going to have a similar situation to trying to balance a tire. A weight out back would probably be a good start for most setups, but its gotta be balanced perfectly. I would have to get just the right amount of weight in just the right place . . . maybe just a weight on a noga arm so I can position it just so.