Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
first video footage shot ... need help
  • theres the link to the video i really just want technical advise , i know i need stabilisation stuff, and threes an issue with ghosting on the lens,i have a uv filter on the nikkor 50mm 1.8 is this it? why? what else?

ta

complete noob sorry :S

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • heres a version that plays better (fits 1080p screen) but has a lower bit rating...just under 4MBps

• When you say Ghosting I guess you mean lens flare to reduce it you will need a lens hood or Matte Box Also when you say stabilisation stuff just use a tripod or monopod or keep a wide angle lens on the GH2 as your 50mm is really 100mm with the x2 factor. A 28mm or 35mm would be good. Do you have a OIS panasonic lens as this helps loads but most of the stock lenes are to slow for night shoots

• i have a 28mm 2.8 i just didn't think it fast enough for such low light stuff..... i have a photography tripod... i just don't think it will do for film through... i will get one for film soon. by ghosting i meant the blue reflections of lights yeah , just the really prominent blue ones .. sometimes they can be distracting.... i think its worse with the uv filter on....

• A Photo Tripod will still be better than hand held with no OIS. A f2.8 is still alittle slow you can get canon FD lens cheap a 50mm 1.4 is around £60-70. if its better with the UV filter off you have you answer.

• a canon 50mm 1.4 fd is on my list of lenses to acquire soon, along with an fd 35 mm f2 i think, and also a cowboy shoulder strap and a new tripod (i would have used a tripod but mine was in my studio ... don't worry im not saying im a pro my ART studio ) yes uv filter off and a lens hood then, and tripod next time. and mix in some 35 mm shots to give variation.... anything else? like editing? i did minimal editing tbh but was that ok? i just want to know how u guys get your films looking so good !!!!!

• I think a bit of slow-motion would look nice with stuff like this. Also I love the round blurred lights (for example at 0:53). When it focusses on things I'm then disturbed by the lack of very accurate focus. But for example, a foreground object like a railing, or some steam from a drain, perfectly in focus, with blurred lights moving in the distance behind it, is a lovely subject. I'd say yes to the tripod rather than a stabilizer, because otherwise you have moving subjects (the lights) and a moving camera. A stabilizer with a moving subject will still have essentially two moving elements to it, whereas the tripod will give a sense of solidity and "class" to the whole thing. Especially with a bit of slo-mo. And if you throw in a bit of grading with different curves to each of the RGB colours, you might end up with interesting false colours in the lights, which could be a good look to experiment with if you are aiming for something abstract. Have a search for grading on this forum to see what's possible. Also could you refine it to a particular theme to give it slightly more coherence? Perhaps choose a word or two that you want to illustrate in pictures, then go out and shoot with that in mind?

• cheers mark :) focus im still getting used to i will practice, (im used to autofocus doing my photos like here -http://jakepowellart.com/index.php?/ex-nihilo/ex-nihilo/ ...) tripod for shots , im going to get into the world of twixtor also :) so slo mo soon :) and grading is so far over my head but i will research asap ... thanks a lot more to follow to see if i can improve :)