Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
James Cameron in China
  • I thought this was an interesting interview with James Cameron. He seems to be heavily investing in 3D filming, and is especially interested in the market in China -- and the most interesting statistic is that China is building eight new cinemas EVERY DAY.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/05/james-cameron-on-chinese-filmmakers-censorship-and-potential-co-productions/

• 37 Replies sorted by
  • China has a strict limit on the number of foreign films allowed to be shown in theaters here,

I hope that this limit will be set to much lower numbers comparing to present. The lower foreign films, the better. It'll be best for China.

• How is it possibly better for the Chinese people to give them fewer movie going choices? Better for Chinese filmmakers, perhaps, but certainly not good for the Chinese people.

• It is better for Chinese people, as you can see less computer generated fantasy lands and less foreign propaganda. Focus instead at local art and local problems. In capitalism, it cames into conflict with upper class who get money from distribution of foreign films.

• Who better to decide what they should see than the person paying the money to see it? And if not them, then who decides?

• @danabrams

Goverment should decide such global things, not people who pay the money.
    If ordinary people start completely determinate contents of your nearest cinema (and it never exist in any country) it'll be quite bad.

• @vitaly_kiselev I think that's a perfectly reasonable, valid POV (albeit not one I share) as long as you recognize that you're taking some degree of self-determination out of the hands of individuals and putting that power in the hands of the state.

Personally, I think that people make fairly mediocre decisions for themselves, but much worse decisions for others. I'd rather that they at least got to determine for themselves how they lived their lives.

• I'm with VK. If they don't set limits, chances are it'll be all Americanized crap before long.

• @Oedipax, I wish the stuff in America was still Americanized crap. It's all Chinesed crap now. ( /sarcasm)

• I'm with VK. If they don't set limits, chances are it'll be all Americanized crap before long.

If it isn't already.

• Let the market decide. You guys are essentially talking censorship. Americans make the best movies, let the Chinese play with the big boys -- that's if you want China to ever produce anything worthwhile. Limiting the market will only insure that there are a lot of lousy Chinese movies.

• @brianluce

What took you so long? :-)

We are not talking censorship, we are talking about presenting people their habits, their life and their problems. Under strick control. All this things about "playing with big boys" do not cost a dime.
    Proper way is exactly opposite, protect your people, develop your own infrastructure, artists and approaches, and after this take "open" market of others ( in America nothing like "open cinema market" exist, all filtering is done via major studios, distributors and cinema networks, nothing random or unnecessary can pass this).

• I have been living in Shanghai for the past 8 years and I can say the moviegoing public (people who actually buy tix) is no where nearly like it is other places. Piracy is one huge thing of course. BUt the idea of buying a movie ticket for 50-100 rmb is an 'expensive' idea for most. My chinese colleagues go crazy when there are free movie tickets or screenings to be had. And it applies to all kinds of entertainment...shows, exhibitions, etc - during the SH World Expo people were hounding me for free passes like buying one would be like taking a 2nd mortgage.

We are currently designing the interior of a Korean cinema chain in 2nd tier China cities at the moment... have a lot more insights and issues I want to get going on this thread, will post more as we move along...

• @Vitaliy That's a fair point that US film markets are closed. And there's a danger too of Hollywood tentpole movies sucking all the Oxygen out of the local market. I just question the concept of artistic protectionism as well as the notion of limiting film to "Local" themes and "Local" problems. To my mind, presenting a universal theme in local packaging is better.

And btw, I disagree that I disagree with you all the time. :)

• Soon all American movies will be Made in China

• France is a relatively good model for film making. France was able to develop its own film industry without letting Hollywood stomp all over its own internal market. France now enjoys a nice blend of its own commercially successful internal works, as well as the might of Hollywood.

The same didn't happen happen in the UK unfortunately, although it is starting to enjoy some growth over the past decade.

It's a shame that Hollywood's vice like grip on audiences has conditioned them to 'expect' a certain type of movie. I think China is doing the right thing, even it if comes off a bit heavy handed and censored....but that's their way. Rather than restrictions, I'd like to see financial incentives, i.e. tax waiver on domestic products (from production through to ticket sales), price fixing, grants.

• Aren't American films these days mostly recycled Hong Kong flicks? Apart from that historical glitch, Vitaliy has some good points. Besides China can't afford to go down the American debt road. There's not enough money in this wing of the spiral arm galaxy for that. However, should China (sadly) adopt the American "market" approach to its film industry, I would enjoy a glum future of Americans being forced to watch recycled Chinese export crap of their own recycled crap.

• Aren't American films these days mostly recycled Hong Kong flicks? vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv What? Of course not. We do alien invasions and super heroes.

• Ok lets try that agen!

China's film industries = "the diplomat". " The Founding of a Republic" etc...ect

Propaganda and self boasting.

I hope the good people of China can get a chance to make truthfull and meaningful films without being persecuted. When that happens we will see a hole new world of cinema.

• @brianluce

Americans make the best movies

North Americans? South Americans? Native Americans? all of them, us? And where did u get that there are "better" movies than others? following wich rules u classified it like that?

• China can make excellent films - dont pay attention the melodromatic Rape of Nanjing movies they make every month. You would think that with time things would open up a bit but they take a step back. Yes China can 'play with the big boys' - ever see Farewell My Concubine? ( almost 20 yrs ago!)

• China has brilliant directors. And all the more reason to protect their own culture is their unique way of telling a story. I remember being quite baffled when i first saw Chinese films. At first I just didn't understand the story or the logic of it!

• @brianluce

"Americans make the best movies" that's a pretty bold statement

some good movies are made in north americans, mainly outside hollywood, but a lot of the best movies are not american and even less out of hollywood.

• "And where did u get that there are "better" movies than others?"

Since when do american people watch non-american movies? :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev said: "It is better for Chinese people, as you can see less computer generated fantasy lands and less foreign propaganda."

Interesting point. So instead you rather see a censorship Committee who with a 99.9% chance will still feed the People of the People's Republic with a slightly different internal propaganda? I'm sure it won't be much different from what they have now. :(

We used to have that in Portugal you know? It was under the dictatorship times and luckily we threw them out in 1974 on April the 25th, which is now called Liberty Day. Some old farts here still miss those days when nobody could badmouth the Government, women couldn't vote or leave the country without their husband saying so or nurses couldn't get married among a few other interesting human being limitations all in the collective interest of a few great minds...Yes there was less crime in those days, but the price was people being 10x poorer and 10x more ignorant. I was 2 at the time, but my parents who lived through those times haven't miss them one single day.

I will not get into political discussions as they inevitably turn sour quickly and because I also admire Communism, but just not the way we saw it in the old URSS or in China not very long ago. I think it just works better the way it was implemented by the Social Democrats in Sweden in the 80's and later until 2006. Working for a bigger common good is what separates advanced societies from the primitive, now if it's at the expense of personal freedom, I rather live in anarchy.