Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Short experimental "Art Deco" SciFi movie: WAVELENGTH [GH2 Sedna]
  • Short Experimental Art Film about an explorer, who discovers a derelict "Art Deco" transmitter park with Radio Telescopes that receive strange Whale sounds.

Camera : Panasonic GH2 AVC-Intra Sedna Lens : Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 G ED Gear : Sachtler FSB-4 75 CF, Gini Rig Follow Focus, Lilliput field monitor Tools : FCPX, Magic Bullet Looks, Motion

This film has been made as a first try out of my new gear. No further purposes. Color grading with MBL.

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • i like it, there are some great shots in it, other are a bit to close i think.. (but that is what i personalty think).

• Thanks. I'm still learning:)

• I added some draft storyboard pictures to the Vimeo page.

• Excellent. Started to "look at it" for it's GH-ism - but - got wrapped in and wound up "watching it". Cool!

• Thanks David. I tried to add a retro scifi feel to it:)

• Nice... Kootwijk shot some footage there also

• Thats cool. Do you have a link to that video?

• pretty cool. Where was this filmed?

• Good on you. Looked at your other Vimeo shorts. Keep at 'er, pal. I've got the same Satchler and love it. The most important piece of gear is a good tripod

• This was filmed in the Netherlands in Radio Kootwijk and at the Westerbork radio telescopes. FYI. Here is some background info that I posted on the Vimeo page.

Radio Kootwijk [Background]

The housing accommodations of Radio Kootwijk arose as a result of the building of a shortwave transmitter site with the same name, starting in 1918. The transmitters played an important role in the 20th century as a communication facility between the Netherlands and its then colony of Dutch East Indies. By 1925 the longwave transmitter was changed by a shortwave tube based, electronic transmitter which had a much better performance due to the better propagation of shortwaves. With this new technology, in 1928 a radio-telephonic connection was established. At the end of World War II, the German occupying forces blew up the transmitter. Afterward some of the radio towers were rebuilt. The main building of the former transmitter park, designed by Dutch architect Julius Maria Luthmann and named 'Building A', 'The Cathedral' or sometimes 'The Sphynx', was officially appointed as a monument. It is used as venue and scenery for several cultural events and productions, including the American film Mindhunters in 2004.

Westerbork Synthesis Radio Telescope [Background]

The Westerbork Synthesis Radio Telescope (WSRT) is an aperture synthesis interferometer near camp Westerbork. It consists of a linear array of 14 antennas with a diameter of 25 metres arranged on a 2.7 km East-West line. It's Equatorial mount is what sets it apart from most other radio telescopes, most of which have an Altazimuth mount. This makes it specifically useful for specific types of science, like polarized emission research as the detectors maintain a constant orientation on the sky during an observation. The WSRT is often combined with other telescopes around the world to perform Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) observations, being part of the European VLBI Network. The telescope is operated by ASTRON, the Dutch foundation for astronomy research.

• Thanks Davhar:) I like the Sachtler very much. Not a single moment regret of this investement.

• @richardwouter I haven't edited the footage... was my first shooting with an anamorphic lens. Maybe I can use 1 or 2 minutes of it, but haven had the time to edit

• @eeeceegee what kind of anamorphic lens did you use? -Richard

• @richardwouter I've a used a Anamorphic lens for Bell & Howell

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters