Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Nikon D600 and D610 topic
  • 238 Replies sorted by
  • WOW, that 3.15 chinese slap must have hurt big time!!!
    Hopefully other companies are closely taking notes.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/16/china-consumers-idUSL3N0MC06920140316

• Hey guys I performed some lowlight tests with my Nikon D600 and the Panasonic GH2. Truthfully, I have not shot any video with my D600 since I purchased the GH2's. The GH2's are way sharper, have less moire/aliasing and is so much easier to shoot video with in comparison to the D600. But there is one area where the D600 smokes the GH2 and that is low light high iso video and stills. Here is a link showing the lowlight prowess of the D600! I shot both cameras with the same lens a Samyang 35mm 1.4 @ F/2,8, all of the other settings (shutter speed, white balance etc) were basically the same.

• Nikons have the best dynamic range of any camera. http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR_Landscape_scatter.htm The reason the d600 doesn't beat the GH2 in all circumstances is the physics of full-frame sensors and relatively small pixel dimensions of 1080.

The d600 uses a line-skipping approach to down-res the full-frame image to 1080p. Obviously, this is a technical limitation of the sensors that all the DSLR makers have. Only the recent 5D3 seems to use a pixel "binning" approach, basically an even x/y scatter of pixels, to down-res.

Anyway, with line-skipping you get moire and aliasing artifacts. There is probably some line-skipping in the Panasonic cameras too, but MFT is much smaller so it is less noticeable; that is, there is less distance between each skipped line of pixels.

Although very difficult to work with, I've gone the BMPCC route. Here you can see some BMPCC ProRes compared to RAW (dng) and even to the d600. (test was done for audio though)

The BMPCC is better than the d600 and GH2 in low light, in my opinion, because it shoots RAW. If it was to shoot H.264, it would be no better than the Gh2, probably worse. However, RAW, gives you true 12-bit pixel readings for each and every frame.

Here is another video, it begins with the d600, but then the BMPCC. With RAW, you get noise in low light, but it is very please "film" like grain.

Here's that video

I'm glad you found a strength of the d600. However, I don't feel it is better than either RAW, or the 4K you can soon get (which won't improve the image through DR, but will through improved micro-contrast/sharpness).

As a stills camera, in low light, I have found nothing better than the d600 at that price. I do not see that changing in the foreseeable future. I now what to get a g6 (I miss the g5). I think that would be the best setup for a range of stills and video. The d600 for low-light stills, photo, the g6 for video and the BMPCC for RAW. The best part is one can use Nikon glass on all!

• @maxotics

I was really close to purchasing either the BMCC or the BMPCC but the workflow and some other issues bothered me. I could deal with ProRes and the files sizes from that but definitely not raw. I like editing with Final Cut X because it is super easy and fast, I am also not interested in learning Resolve I know it is really good for grading but I don't have the time or patience to learn another program.

I would be interested in a lowligh test the BMPCC VS D600 with the same apertures, iso's etc in raw or ProRes. If I am not mistaken I thought the lowlight performance was terrible on the BMPCC due to the small sensor size? Please correct me if I am wrong because this was one of the main reasons that I did not buy the camera?

The BMCC and BMPCC both have their downfalls, and after looking at the pros and cons of purchasing these cameras I decided to wait and I am glad that I did. I will purchase the Panasonic GH4 instead for several reasons.

1. Awesome video camera and hopefully great stills camera.
    2. Awesome video camera and hopefully great stills camera.
    3. Awesome video camera and hopefully great stills camera.

Did I forget to mention that it was an awesome video camera and hopefully a great stills camera as well ;-) Based on the reviews, I am sold on this camera and am not interested in the Black Magic Cameras at this time. I am not saying that the GH4 is better then the Black Magic cameras, its just that the GH4 is better suited for my needs. I want the same thing an awesome video camera and great stills camera the all in one camera ;-)

I guess different strokes for different folks, but I am still interested in a lowlight test since you have both cameras. If you have some free time I am really interested in the results, I am more interested in ProRes but would still like to see the results of raw as well.

• Hi guys ! Finally ! after sending several times my camera to a LTR european service , for notorious dust accumulation issue, I got replaced my Nikon D600 ( 1 Year old , almost 15k shots) with a brand new D610 ! What can I say ! Thx Nikon

• Both the Canon 6D and Nikon D610 can shoot Full HD (1,920 x 1,080 pixel) video at a rate of up to 60 frames per second. When it comes to video quality and compression levels, though, there are important differences, and you'll be moved in one way or the other depending on whether you want to record to the in-camera memory card or via an external recorder.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/nikon/d610/vs/canon/6d/

• D610 Firmware Update C 1.01

• Support for distortion control data Ver. L: 2.000 and later has been added.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61869

D600 - https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61868

• BMPCC vs D610 vs 60D ML RAW

• Hi guys. Does anybody know if there is safe to use the Nikon D610 patch? I recently bought one and i would like to try it.

• Excuse me guys for insist, but i realle need to know if is safe to use the patch for Nkon D610. Tomorrow i going to start shooting a videoclip and i would like to get the best of the cam. Thank you!!

• @anacrofilosoteca

Well, LPowell uses this patch with his D800 and he has no problems with it. I have no experience with this patch but if LPowell says it is a good patch I would definitely take his word for it. Why don't you try it out your self on the camera?

The other thing that I would try is his settings that he made for the Nikon cameras. This is kinda late in the game though and if I had an important shoot I probably wouldn't chance it I would just use the stock neutral settings.

• @anacrofilosoteca

You mentioned that you just picked up this camera. I would suggest using the stock neutral settings with sharpness set to +3 anything higher then that and you will be in aliasing/moire heaven ;-) LOL

• Im using flat PC, i found it the best way to take advantage from the sensor. The Nikon D610 patch is in alpha state. Wath this means? That it isnt stable yet or just not enough teste? Thank you Azo for the answer i will try to find some footage from LPowell.

• @anacrofilosoteca @Azo

I've successfully used Nikon Hacker's high-bitrate firmware patches to upgrade both D800 and D5100 cameras. I've updated each camera over a dozen times and encountered no malfunctions or bugs in the hacked firmware. IMO, these patches give their specific Nikon models the finest high-ISO shadow details of any DSLR, rivaled only by the Sony A7S.

https://nikonhacker.com/index.php?sid=1257e1f5cafd972a325cb7d868b55048

BTW: I'm in the final testing stages of a custom set of Picture Profiles for all contemporary Nikon DSLR's that combines the tone curve of Nikon's Flat Profile with seven steps of calibrated gamma adjustment. In the years since the release of the D810, Nikon has refused to update D600 and D800 models with these new firmware features. Stay tuned...

• thank you LPowell. the point is that the Nikon D610 patch is in alpha state. I dont know what it means, but it doesnt sound good. What do you think about?

• @anacrofilosoteca At Nikon Hacker, "beta" is a patch the developers have tested themselves, while "alpha" is a patch the developers have released for testing by members of the hacking community. In the D610 case, multi-language support is an alpha feature, while the high-bitrate patches are beta features. The features can be individually selected, so if you don't need foreign language UI's you can disable the alpha features.

The current firmware patch v1.20.6 was released in July 2015, and to my knowledge has proven to be safe and reliable.

• In the case of D610 the patch for 1080p high bitrates is in alpha state. Its in beta state in the case of D600. Well, i think im on my own risk...

• @anacrofilosoteca
    Here's what I see on Nikon Hacker's patch docs page:

D610 1.01

ALPHA - Multi-Language Support
    BETA - Video 1080 HQ 36mbps Bit-rate NQ old HQ
    BETA - Video 1080 HQ 54mbps Bit-rate NQ old HQ
    BETA - Video 1080/720 HQ 64mbps Bit-rate NQ old HQ

• Thank you Lpowell, i will try it!