Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AN "Valkyrie", GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, natural, Freeze-less Reliable All-round GOP3 Settings :-)
  • Series 2: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5385/gh2-freeze-less-reliable-all-round-settings-series-2-valkyrie-golgop3-13-gop3zilla-natural-

The meanings of my account name "bkmcwd" are "Burger King, McDonald's, and Wendy's." LOL Please do not mistake! :-)

At the same time as the silent users of my settings have increased in number, the request to me has also increased. Moreover, those who improve my settings uniquely also appeared. Therefore, I start a new topic, in order to arrange them.

I am a resident of Official Low GOP Topics. I was shocked from @kae's 3GOP in August, last year. In compromise to image quality and motion, I have thought since then that 3GOP is the best solution, in some mode like 24p at least. Although surely many wonderful longGOP settings also exist, the clearness of noise grain does not match Intra and 3GOP.

It is serious that I acquire information from this forum since I am poor at English. And in Japan which is a home country of GH2, I was hardly able to acquire information. However, I have learned much know-how from many experts, @cbrandin, @LPowell, @Ralph_B, @balazer, @towi, @Stray, @proaudio4..., especially the great settings of @driftwood!

I do not know whether my settings are the best. However, since those who are pleased with my settings adhering to big I frame size and short GOP have also increased in number, I continue improvement further more.

Because my English is poor, there may be many unclear things, but I do my best in some questions to answer enduringly.

[The common feature of my settings]

For example, if some setting tries to use low qp with the frame size limited like Intra, many level lines of the high qp macroblocks will also appear in each frame pictures. Although it is unclear for appearance in looking with eyes, it means that the codec is not committing this correctly. I am making the settings which can use the lowest possible qp appropriately, avoiding this isuue by using the biggest possible I-frames. On the high definition scene, if the minimum qp is too low, the range of qp will spread and, as a result, many of these level lines of the high qp macroblocks will appear. Therefore, in my settings, on the high definition scene, it has adjusted so that the minimum qp may become high appropriately. On the other hand, it has adjusted so that the lowest possible qp can be positively used under the lowlight. I think that 3GOP can realize this all-round performance with the motion. Therefore, when using my settings as only for lowlight, you may feel thing insufficient only a few, although sufficient dark place performance is still given. However, also in a bright scene, the codec hardly wavers with my settings. This is the point that especially I am scrupulous. Another point to which I attach paramount importance is "recording does not stop by any means in any situations." In order to adjust so that recording may not stop in a high stress scene, you have to test supposing the stress beyond it. I have spent many hours also on the torture test for it.

*The purpose tested with this screen is the check of durability or reliability to the last. About image quality, it cannot check at all by this test.

If it may become unstable with SanDisk 95MB/s SDXC, please give me feedback.
    These features are common in almost all my settings.

[The feature according to type]

About "Valkyrie", it is to here:http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4391/apocalypse-now-quest-for-simulated-444-smooth-cinema-quality-driftwood-cbrandin-bkmcwd/p1

Since the link place was closed, Valkyrie of the new improved versions have been released in this thread. Please look at the latest information on downward.

"GOLGOP3-13" series is the settings for using low qp under lowlight positively. Simultaneously, it has tuned up so that a codec may work also in the high stress scenes as correctly as possible. The value of "Q13" to which I have stuck from last year realizes high image quality by practically lowest qp.

Furthermore, the original matrix is adopted in the newest GOLGOP3-13s. It is the middle of a Sedna matrix and a stock character. If it says plainly, it will be the Sedna matrix optimized in 3GOP structure.

"GOP3ZILLA" series is the all-round settings which covers all the scenes with the mean bit rate. In a general shooting, this series realizes the highest image quality with the value of "Q15" to which I have stuck from last year.

This is the simple setting which harnessed the feature of the stock as it was. I recognize this to be the normal evolution version of the stock.

"natural" series is the economical settings which covers all the scenes with the mean bit rate. In these series, it has also aimed that a codec works correctly also in a however high-stress scene. The value of "Q18" to which I have stuck from last year realizes the safest and good balance setting.

"MAX" versions in each types are the settings using maximum I-frame size which GH2 can use in24p mode. However, with MAX version, playback in camera may not often be available in 24p. This is because the maximum frame size which can be played back by GH2 may be exceeded. Of course, the file which cannot be played back in camera can also be satisfactorily played in PC. Supposing you consider that the playback in a camera is important, I will not recommend you this setting. Please use normal version. However, IQ of MAX version is better than normal versions, IMO.

"A" means "Almighty" or "All-around". Since former GOLGOP3-13s were not able to use the too much low base Q all around, "standard" and "lowlight" were prepared, but since latest GOLGOP3-13 controlled qp appropriately on all the scenes, it was taken as "A." Unlike "MAX", in this "A" edition, in-camera-playback can be available in all the modes also including 24p.

*I decided that I did not use the name of "standard" and "lowlight" in the newest settings.

"standard": The Almighty setting which the codec works correctly as much as possible on bright scenes, and realizes low qp under the lowlight.

"lowlight": Although the codec may waver in a satisfactory grade on bright scenes, realize strongest high image quality under the lowlight.

*These features are mainly in 24p.

All my latest settings are here: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/57882#Comment_57882

All my latest experimental settings are here: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/57882#Comment_57881

REMEMBER: IF YOU USE THESE SETTINGS PLEASE MAKE A DONATION ABOVE TO VITALIY KISELEV FOR HIS TIRELESS WORK IN MAKING THIS HAPPEN. THESE SETTINGS ARE TOTALLY DEDICATED TO HIM. THERE ARE MANY QUIET USERS OUT THERE WHO HAVE NEVER BOTHERED OFFERING ANYTHING. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP TO KEEP THESE HACKS GOING. NO MORE DONATIONS = NO MORE SETTINGS. IF YOU HAVE MADE A SMALL CONTRIBUTION IN THE PAST, NOW IS THE TIME TO DONATE AGAIN. Thank you, bkmcwd

Again, special thanks to @driftwood, @cbrandin, and of course @Vitaliy_Kiselev! :-)

• 1001 Replies sorted by
  • @bkmcwd

Hmm.

Make topic first and put here link to it, so follower will know.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thanks for waiting! Please close this thread.

@all See you in next thread! :-)

• @bkmcwd

I waited a little.

Topic will be closed in three hours time.

• Many thanks for feedbacks from testers! :-)

Since the result of the test about Valkyrie 444 TZ2 C1.5e is good, I may be able to release this by the end of today. And finally this candidate may be upgraded to the formal version.

• Simultaneously, I also welcome the feedback about GOLGOP3-13s. If satisfactory, I will upgrade BETA4s to the formal version of "GOLGOP3-13-MAX2 and A2. :-)

• Many thanks for feedbacks, guys! :-)

It seems that the result of the following Valkyrie 444 TZ2 is good. I will release it after waiting for more results by the side of PAL a little longer.

• I have got several persons to try next Valkyrie 444 TZ2 before release now. I am further looking for those who test besides them. Many thanks for your offer. :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

OK! Please wait a little. :-)

• @bkmcwd

Please, make new topic (series 2), as this is too large, will be closed soon.

• The following Valkyrie 444 TZ2 was made at last. Would someone try it before release? :-)

• @abraham1307 Thanks for your report! :-)

Please wait for a while about Valkyrie 444 TZ2.

• @supercharger Thanks for testing and evaluating GOLGOP3-13-MAX2! :-)

HBR30p not very stable, but if after the shooting turn the camera off, and then turn on again, it works well.

Is this about playback in the camera?

That's right if it is right. Probably, it will be better to reboot the camera, before playing back in the camera. A reboot may be necessity also when playing back the file which spaned in the camera. (Don't forget to shoot a clip short immediately after!) Although the file which spaned cannot often be played back in the camera, the file itself can be satisfactorily played back in PC.

• Hello, I'm testing your setup(GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA4), and just want to say that the quality is amazing. I use a SanDisk 64gb 45mb/sec. HBR30p not very stable, but if after the shooting turn the camera off, and then turn on again, it works well.

• @bkmcwd I have been using Valkyrie Cinema Smooth TZ2 Beta and I must say it's been very stable. Also the image quality is looks amazing.

Edit: I was using HBR 30p

• @spreeni Many thanks for prolonged torture test! :-)

Do you think that which of A1 and A2_BETA4 is better?

Regarding picture difference, honestly, I am not sure about the image quality of FM. The subject about comparison with FM which I heard from users is only about reliability.

My "EX" matrix is "Sedna like" as you tell. In the matrix of FM, since there is variation considerably according to the kind of the mode or frame, I do not understand well.

Anyway, since I would like to make Freez-less setting rather than anything, I am satisfied with your results of the tests. Thanks!

• @bkmcwd Thank you for the new releases. I tested stability of GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA4 in 1080i50 (FSH) mode with my auto-function-stress-test (explained at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/99000#Comment_99000).

Beta4 is working stable without freezings for 5 hours, so this one seems to be as stable as the old GOLGOP3-13-A1 from http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/57882#Comment_57882.

I now have to do some picture quality testings. Perhaps you can help me: As I wrote before, I was using Flowmotion for a few projects. How would you describe the differences between Flowmotion and GOLGOP3-13-A2. Both of them use 3GOP. Is it right, that GOLGOP uses a sharper matrix (Sedna like) and Flowmotion "only" the standard matrix? LPowel mentioned, that the differences between Flowmotion's Q17 and GOLGOP's Q13 are not visible. Are there any user experiences that confirm this?

• @ GOLGOP3-13 lovers :-)

"GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA4" and "GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA4"

I release the new "GOLGOP3-13-A2" and "GOLGOP3-13-MAX2" settings.

All of these matrices are the same as V1s. The main changed parts are having realized Freeze-les and high-bitrate in HBR and 720p. These are the settings which stabilized BETA2 more.

In BETA3, the "motion" was prized too much, and possibly balance with "static" was not good. This balance has been improved in BETA4.

*Please try them! And many thanks for feedbacks from you!

*If these are also still unstable, I will further adjust.

Special thanks to @har_k, @Shon, @spreeni and @syoushow! :-)

*Of course, already combined with excellent audio tune @thepalalias's "Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2"

NOTE:

*Although bit rate setups are quite high, the bit rate which actually appears are lower than these. Since the actual bit rate changes by the object to shoot, please confirm by yourself.(Max bitrate : about 110M in 24p, about 75M in HBR.)

*'MAX' versin and 'A' version are completely the same except 24p.

*The original matrix is adopted in the newest GOLGOP3-13s. It is the middle of a Sedna matrix and a stock character. If it says plainly, it will be the Sedna matrix optimized in 3GOP structure.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with mega size I-frames in GOLGOP3-13-A.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with super mega size I-frames in GOLGOP3-13-MAX.

*24p80%(30p) is available in 24H & 24L both.

*60i, 50i, HBR30p and HBR25p are also high quality and stable 3GOP settings.

*720/50p is 6GOP and 720/60p is 9GOP. It has tuned up so that the bit rate at the time of motion may go up rather than the time of statics.

*I especially recommend you use with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC card.

*In camera playback is available in all rec mode except 24p in GOLGOP3-13-MAX, at least available after reboot the camera.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*EX Tele, iA mode work.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*Spanning in 24H, 24L with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card. In other rec mode, need test.

*Spanning in other cards needs to be tested.

bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA4.zip
    bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA4.zip
  • @abraham1307 Many thanks for your proposal! :-)

Please wait for a while.

• Many thanks for feedbacks, guys! :-)

Possibly in GOLGOP3-13-2_BETA3, the motion was valued too much. I will make the set which adjusted the balance of "static" and a "motion" slightly.

• @bkmcwd I would like to test the latest Valkyrie 444 TZ2_V1.5e

• @bkmcwd I would like to test the latest Valkyrie 444 TZ2_V1.5e

• I would like to release Valkyrie 444 TZ2_C1.5e to the next of this. Please offer, if there are those who test before that. Please test, if ready. Although it is still likely to take time by it for the time being. :-)

• @ GOLGOP3-13 lovers :-)

"GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA3" and "GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA3"

I release the new "GOLGOP3-13-A2" and "GOLGOP3-13-MAX2" settings.

All of these matrices are the same as V1s. The main changed parts are having realized Freeze-les and high-bitrate in HBR and 720p. In this time, the GOPtables for 720p are changed. And, HBR25p is stabilized more.

These are most stable until now and are high image quality GOLGOP3-13s, IMHO.

*Please try them! And many thanks for feedbacks from you!

*If these are also still unstable, I will further adjust.

Special thanks to @har_k, @Shon, @spreeni and @syoushow! :-)

*Of course, already combined with excellent audio tune @thepalalias's "Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2"

NOTE:

*Although bit rate setups are quite high, the bit rate which actually appears are lower than these. Since the actual bit rate changes by the object to shoot, please confirm by yourself.(Max bitrate : about 110M in 24p, about 75M in HBR.)

*'MAX' versin and 'A' version are completely the same except 24p.

*The original matrix is adopted in the newest GOLGOP3-13s. It is the middle of a Sedna matrix and a stock character. If it says plainly, it will be the Sedna matrix optimized in 3GOP structure.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with mega size I-frames in GOLGOP3-13-A.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with super mega size I-frames in GOLGOP3-13-MAX.

*24p80%(30p) is available in 24H & 24L both.

*60i, 50i, HBR30p and HBR25p are also high quality and stable 3GOP settings.

*720/50p is 6GOP and 720/60p is 9GOP. It has tuned up so that the bit rate at the time of motion may go up rather than the time of statics.

*I especially recommend you use with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC card.

*In camera playback is available in all rec mode except 24p in GOLGOP3-13-MAX, at least available after reboot the camera.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*EX Tele, iA mode work.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*Spanning in 24H, 24L with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card. In other rec mode, need test.

*Spanning in other cards needs to be tested.

bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA3.zip
    bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA3.zip
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters