Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • Remember that we have special pages about BlackMagic Cinema Camera in out Wiki now

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

Feature highlights include:

• 13 stops of dynamic range
    • Large 2.5k sensor
    • Integrated solid state drive recorder (SSD)
    • Ability to capture CinemaDNG, RAW, ProRes and DNxHD files
    • Touchscreen for metadata entry
    • Compatibility with EF and F mou
    • SDI and Thunderbolt connectors
    • Includes a FULL copy of DaVinci Resolve and UltraScope software

First videos:

http://vimeopro.com/johnbrawleytests/blackmagic-cinema-camera

Full specs

Videos:

Links:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lets-take-it-from-the-top/

If this camera delivers, this is going to be my next camera. BlackMagic Design is gong to deliver what RED promised with the original Scarlet announcement. Thunderbolt connector, free Resolve, Touchscreen for metadata entry!

This happens when honest companies like BlackMagic Design, which don't have to artificially protect their high-end gear (I am talking about you Sony, Panasonic, Canon) start entering the camera business. If the image quality lives up to the specifications, this is going to be THE camera to get. Sony, Canon, Panasonic won't be happy in that case. The 5D Mark III could do the same but Canon doesn't allow it because of C500/C300. Same for Sony, Panasonic. If BlackMagic delivers, I will respect them so much!

I won't be surprised if BlackMagic Design will launch their own NLE down the road as well.

raw_cam.jpg
    640 x 480 - 37K
    timeless.jpg
    458 x 302 - 41K
    metadata.jpg
    486 x 411 - 56K
    digital.jpg
    1000 x 335 - 47K
    black_magic.jpg
    800 x 686 - 140K
    black_magic1.jpg
    800 x 727 - 163K
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • The product concept is so Apple-like. Blackmagic should team up with Apple and sell these out of select Apple Stores (or all stores ideally). They could stock accessories, hold demos and user workshops, and provide tech support and maintenance in-store. I can see this being the camera equivalent of a Macbook Pro, everyone will want to buy one (somehow) after seeing and trying one out in person. On another note, wedding still photographers will love its ability to shoot high quality RAW images at up to 30fps continuous - I'd totally expect to see this camera take off in that market. I don't see it supplanting DSLR imagery, rather, its imagery could be promoted as a separate, new kind of service that provides more cinematic stills quality (read: dreamy, grainy w/ more blur) as opposed to the sharp photojournalistic quality that you get using a DSLR w/ flash. Of course, enterprising wedding photogs can also use the same DNG's to sell video services too, but let's hope it doesn't get to that point for the sake of wedding videographers everywhere.

• I made new topic, as this one is too large already

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4372/blackmagic-official-2995-raw-cinema-camera-topic-series-2

Please, use it, I'll close this one soon.

Thanks in advance.

• I don't know. It does kind of satisfy a building curiosity in some ways. I guess it's just another kind of gear lust building event. Somehow knowing there are those of us out there that actually have the product makes a difference I guess. Just one of those odd human quirks.

• I would appreciate one if it were shot with a BMCC.

• I think we need reboxing videos.

• My wife has full legal permission to take me out in a field and shoot me in the head if I EVEN so much as, shoot an unboxing video.

• Guy's found a longer unboxing video the camera body solid even the mount cap crazy..

• And so it begins....

• Hi ..the first video does NOT have audio :-(

• My guess, the same day that Resolve 9 (not a Beta) is released .. our camera's will ship.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Nice cat! :)

Oh that's Bloom's cat. Haha, thought that was your pic...

• @kicap

They are not shipping officially. These are "pre-release" cameras.

Richard in another interview says "a week" then "two weeks" so who the heck knows.

• Phillip Bloom has his...

http://propic.com/n24x5

This should be interesting.

• They finally shipped it!!!

• Well hopefully BMC camera will nudge everyone to at least provide a 2k option

• @apefos

I don't think having a slightly bigger m43 sensor would bring any more competition than the BMCC already has. M43 mount: yes definitely, but not a m43 sensor size change.

• the manufacturers are giving us the features like a dropper! for three reasons: to make us buy another camera at every small improvement, to sell better feature cameras for higher prices, to have time to improve their technology. BMC will not change this a lot because the sensor is small, if BMD release a new BMC with m43 or s35 size sensor so the hard competition will begin and we will have better cameras for lower prices.

• @DrDave I have always being saying that the hardware was capable of it. Just look at what a $ 700 gh2 can do. It would be easy for those big companies to announce tomorrow a FS-100 mk 2 for example with 220 mbit 10 bit prores internal codec with a 13 stop DR log mode.They have everything, the hardware, sensor etc. But unfortunately they have been unwilling to do that.

Canon being the most extreme example. They accidentally became the hero of the low cost indie market and there response was to update there dslr line with the most lame way to encourage everyone to a 8 bit camera for insane sum. With an fs-100 mk2 spec for $ 3500 camera that I spec above. Sony would have to scrap everyting until about F65. Or reduce by about 1/3 to 1/2 every large sensor camera in there line up. I don't think any of these cameras will be happy or concern about that.

What is good is that if the BMC is a resounding success we won't have to be kept in the stone age of tech for long. Those big companys will have to be competitive. Because BMD is avery aggressive company. If likely this camera is a resounding success, I can see an S35 version coming at Nab 2014/2015 and for not much more than this model.

• @Faudel I think that BMD are very dependent on available sensor. They did not develop or manufacture the sensor. In this case, they did what many have been saying. That is that there was some off the self sensor and just add the necessary electronics to capture, store and preview that data. Some already have done that with a camera head and a pc like Ephel open source camera project. Because the technology was here.

Now a company with the hardware knowledge of BMD have realized it a much more sleek and well implemented solution. But for them to do an S35 camera they would have to get a sensor that is available and they have some strict features, one being DR. With all the marketing they have done on this camera. I don't see themself putting a 10 to even 12 stop DR camera.

Lastly, BMD are not saints, they are a commercial company. How would they manage if they just release another camera even before they deliver the first one!!!! The confusion, people cancelling there pre-order etc. What I think will happen, is if this camera sell well into the thousand to the tens of thousand, the sensor company will gladly develop an S35 version, but I think we will have to wait at least 1.5 years for NAB 2014 and it won't cost much more than this sensor size. Contrary to what people think, until about apsc size, in volume, apsc sensor cost less than $ 100, in the dslr volume world it is closer to $ 50.

• @plasmasmp -- Preach.

It may not be the lowlight king, all good. FS100 still keeps that.

But all around? Yeah, nothing beneath that range can hang. And even AT that range, I think the only other camera that would give me pause would be the C300. And that's a maybe.

I'm telling you, as soon as possible my camera is going under the knife dude. M4/3 nose on this sucker immediately.

• @plasmamp nothing under an slog f3 or a red scarlet can compete, i will not be surprised if BMD announces the starting dev of a ~10.000$ S35 4K camera at photokina.They bought Cintel, it will place Resolve in a nice position in the digital intermediate process.I guess the "savoir faire" of Cintel in the "film to sensor" relation can bring a lot to BMD in building this S35 camera.

• I love a bunch of things about the camera. As far as look, nothing under an slog f3 or a red scarlet can compete. Ill disassemble the lens mount to see what can be done... prolly nothing outside an MC conversion but it will be fun to look. That and ill keep up the cineform fight until everyone uses it!

• @kholi the only complaint as far as Im concerned is the lens mount. Though there seem to be some confusion re: sensor sizes.

• @stonebat Actually I believe 2.3X compared to 135 and 1.6X compared to S35.

jb

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions