Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Death
  • No, not my new film, but interesting nonetheless. See what killed 50% of Europe 600 years ago and might come back. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/july-dec11/blackdeath_10-13.html

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • The arsenals of modern warfare have much more to offer, and no, there's no Tetracycline against them…

• Makes sense what you say nomad since they engineer bugs nowadays. However they haven't analyzed the BD of the middle ages so... Scientific American did a survey among various experts rating the probabilities of various extinction events. Pathogens ranked #1. Atomic weaponry was 2nd.

• I'm not worried about the man-made bio-weapons. I'm worried about the man-made untreatable bacteria that have been slowly infiltrating our society. Things like feeding antibiotics to animals, hand sanitizers, giving wrong/placebo antibiotics to folks when they have viruses(which aren't affected by antibiotics), etc. Even the most benign bacteria has gained some resistance and there are a lot that have TOTAL resistance to ALL antibiotics. Some STDs are now totally resistant, so imagine having pecker rot that will never go away.. TB was very hard to kill to begin with and now there are strains that are totally resistant.. Same for various gut bacteria, skin flora, etc. MRSA, VRSA, and a whole lot more "flesh eating" bacteria are now resistant to just about everything.

And to top it all off, MOST of these infections now start in hospitals. The one place you go to get better, will now make you sicker.

• So sad and true, Svart.

• Bacteria are like people.. I don't get the flu, I'm totally resistant to it..why? because back on the remote western coast of Ireland where my ancestors were from, they didn't have access to medicine. If you were weak you simply died. Countless of my ancestors died of influenza. Those who survived had some resistance to it and their offspring carried that resistance, and with each generation it grew stronger. Bacteria are like that..expose bacteria to enough antibiotic to weaken it or kill off some if it and each new generation of that bacteria will carry with it a resistance to that antibiotic. They are only following their normal drive to survive and adapt as living things. I'm treating people now who decades ago would've been given oral antibiotics and now they're being given IV's to fight these infections, sometimes multiple IV's...what do we do when the IV's don't work? Start amputating body parts? It is scary stuff. Best thing anyone can do is to wash their hands with soap (not antibacterial soap) and water frequently. Soap kills spores. Keep hospital stays to a minimum and make sure your healthcare providers wash their hands before touching you. Ultimately it is technology that will cause the demise of the human race. We have reached a point where medicine allows the weak to thrive and multiply. These genetically weak individuals give birth to even weaker individuals. Look at the cost of health care alone and how this impacts society. Technology has reversed the natural drive for living beings to adapt biologically to their environment. If aquatic creatures possessed genius intelligence which allowed them to manipulate their environment to some degree, they would never have the need to climb out of the water. Those creatures born with longer fins or appendages, or primitive lungs would be "fixed" to blend in with the rest of aquatic society...ultimately when that aquatic environment changed and these creatures can no longer use their technology to keep up with it and survive in it..they will perish. They, like humans, have stopped the evolutionary process. Of course, if that race of aquatic creatures were into advanced genetic engineering, maybe they could create an entire new race of amphibious creatures within the allotted time frame to climb out of that increasingly bio-hazardous aquatic environment...I'm hungry, I'm going to go grab a taco.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions