Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Final Cut X topic, moving to ARM and vlogging
  • 405 Replies sorted by
  • A few questions:

1) Those who have switched from FCP 7 to FCP X, assuming you've watched tutorials, how long before you feel comfortable and efficient using the application? Is it measured in hours, days, or weeks?

2) For footage shot on the GH2, would you recommend editing in FCP 7 with a 3rd party transcoder, or using FCP X?

Thanks.

• @Nayche I've made the switch from FCP7 to FCPX, and find it to be very productive for editing my work, including multi-cam. It took a couple of weeks to be really comfortable, but due to superior media management, metadata handling and robust crash recovery, I'm glad I made the switch.

Occasionally, FCPX cannot correctly import my AVCHD footage from my GH2 (although it never has a problem with the AVCHD from my AF100), so I need to repeat the import, or better yet, rewrap the MTS files with Clipwrap, and then it's good as gold.

• @ahbleza Thanks for the info, that's good to know. I have a time sensitive project coming up, and I'm trying to decide if I want to risk doing it in FCP X. I will definitely make the switch long term.

Do you ever use something like 5DtoRGB with FCP X, or does Clipwrap do the job? Thanks again.

• @Nayche The first time I opened FCPX, I hated it. Then, after a few months, I spent a couple of weeks learning it, mostly with tutorials I found on http://fcp.co/ website. Then, when I open 7 again, I feel what many people probably felt going back to linear editing after learning NLE... So I don't open 7 anymore.

About your next project, you should probably read this: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_x_road_young.html

According to many people, 5DtoRGB has the best transcoding algorithms, but, most of the time, I transcode from FCPX, just for the sake of my workflow, and to keep the shots date metadata. There is something you should know to transcode AVCHD in FCPX, especially if you're planing to grade on Resolve (I don't like FCPX grading tools at all). FCPX automatically rewrap the .mts files and put it into the "Original Media" folder. The problem is that, when you export an XML, it will point to the those files (H.264) instead of the prores transcoded files. To fix this, you can whether modify the XML (I haven't try on 10.0.4 XML though), or replace the H.264 files by the prores, in the Original Files folder (It's better to quit FCP first).

• @Nayche I never tried 5DtoRGB, but I'm sure it's fine. Clipwrap does what I need, or usually I just transcode using FCPX directly (and resort to Clipwrap when there is an issue with the AVCHD folder.) As MorphoV mentioned, it's also sometimes useful to retain the metadata.

• @Morphov and @ahbleza Many thanks for the information, that's very helpful. I really want to give FCP X a shot now, but it's not a necessity. I'm also a bit gun shy with rumors of a paid upgrade potentially right around the corner.

• Andrew Reid has a new article warning that (on OSX) GH2 footage can get messed up. 5DtoRGB is the apparent solution.

• @Andrew Reid (I know you are here somewhere...)

Can you post the original files for this image? Also are you sure that you can't 'pull up' the blacks from within FCPX?

I have decided to take the plunge with FCPX... so this is very important... I also have hours of 'theatre footage' that I don't want to transcode with 5DTORGB... (I have been happy so far with Media Converters rewrap function.)

fs100-5dtorgb-fix.jpg
    660 x 1320 - 147K
  • I'm waiting for FCPX installation. 30 days free trial... why not? :)

After seeing the price of new mac products today... I totally gave up on mac upgrade... hopefully FCPX runs super fast on my 2010 macbook pro. After Effects is taking 1 hour to render 1 min clip on my machine... Geez...

• @stonebat @Nayche I am working since a few months with my GH2 footage cake 2.3 on fcpx on a macbook pro 13" 2011 i5 10.7.3, it works absolutely fine, I upgraded to 16GB RAM, because sometimes it "eats" away your RAM (for example when transcoding), and keeps it as "inactive RAM", that sucks (known issue, you have to restart), hopefully will be resolved in mountain lion, sometimes crashes, but no problem, I always transcode in fcpx, its just easier, the transcode-quality is not too bad (there is a whole comparison-topic in PV about it, don't remember where) only for very quick/small project I use the raw avchd... remember: if you customize your keyboard, put it on default before shutting down, if not it won't reboot.

Edit: I don't see the point to upgrade the MBP, for video editing in fcpx and premiere workflow is fine on the "old" MBPs, if you need faster transfer get a thunderbolt hard drive, if you need a higher resolution get a broadcast screen. Of cause it depends always what you need it for. For my documentary/creative stuff its enough. I have even put a 1TB Samsung HD into the DVD slot to be more mobile.

Edit2: Transcoding: Its better to transcode AVCHD immediately, the workflow will be much smoother and you will not have any further quality loss. If you don't transcode immediately and work with raw, it will be rendered anyway later if you apply any other effects and the quality loss might increase: http://www.kenstone.net/discussions/read.php?3,38384,38384#msg-38384

Edit3: Forgot to say: My girlfriend works on a MBP 2010 13" i5 8GB RAM with FCPX - smooth like butter

• @stonebat how about a Hackintosh... Basically rock stable now- and very attractive price...

• @gameb Thanks for the heads up. Have you tried FreeMemory free app from App Store to monitor and free up memory? Yes that’s exactly how I installed 2nd HDD. Frankly I heard many bad things about FCPX, but the consensus seems quick editing. 5DtoRGB batch app is great for “offline” transcoding. Still evaluating FCPX.

@alcomposer Thanks, but too late for me.

• @stonebat thanks for the freememory app advise, didn't know that. Somebody told me, that issue will be come to an end with Mountain Lion. FCPX is faster the more you work with it - sometimes there are a few work-arounds that you still need - but I got used to it.

• I've been playing with FCPX for a few days. Yes it has many cool features I like. But Adobe copied a lot of the cool features from Apple. Shame on you, Adobe. Shame on you. Yes I'm getting CS6 Production Premiere. PP CS6 supports Adjustment Layer for color grading, displays waveforms and vectorscope at the same time, and has 3-way color wheels.

• Im getting used to FCPX & Davinci Resolve - Great Solution - love the FCPXML import! And personally I don't want my colour correction in my editing app...

• FCPX plus Davinci Resolve seems like a VERY good combo. The only thing keeping me from going this route is audio. I'm still very confused as to what exactly FCPX offers for sending the audio to another program. The new Logic looks like it makes surround mixing very intuitive while still retaining its other pro functions, but I'm having trouble finding out if FCPX can send audio over or not. Can anyone speak to this one way or another?

• I've been using FCPX since it was realized. And I was satisfied so far (I am still happy with it), but while working on my last project some trouble appeared. I am using 720p footage, recorded with one of driftwoods settings (I think it was Quantum 9b) and transcoded it with 5dtorgb. In FCPX I slowed the footage down for some slow-mo effects (it is a climbing ad) and used Neat Video to reduce noise (since it was recorded indoors with bad lightning). Now everything went good as always (it is the first time I am dealing with 720p footage), but when I want to playback the edited sequences in my timeline it takes FCPX about half a minute (sometime even longer) to start and about half a minute to stop – quite annoying, since editing is based on watching. I am using the newest iMac 27 with 16 GB RAM. The machine is fast enough – tried FreeMemory app, but didn't make any difference. I used OnyX to get rid of all the shit hidden in the depths of the system - still no difference. I disabled automatic rendering as well - no difference. Well, maybe it comes down to Neat Video - but I am not sure. Is somebody making same experiences?

• Also FCPX + Motion 5 seem like interesting combo as people are finding more cool tricks. It's just that I was wrong about FCPX. It does need other apps. Since I'm already familiar with Adobe CS apps integration, I don't wanna go through the same type of hassle again.

• @B3Guy - There is no way to get decent audio sequences, such as OMF, out of FCPX to Logic at the moment. You can use one of the 3rd party tools to get the audio to Pro Tools. You can export audio roles - ie stems - to Logic, but no regions, x-fades or anything are preserved, and you end up with lots of silent audio taking up disk space (nothing logic's optimize audio files cant fix once you're done editing though). Also with this workflow you have to think about it and prepare in advance what audio is what role, etc etc. annoying.

Hopefully Logic X will come soon and support FCPX XML import (of course a free update to logic 9 to do this would be better!)

What i usually end up doing, since I am usually shooting performances or making music/video pieces, is to make a multicam clip with my audio mix in it, so i can cut it up or do anything to it in a project in FCPX, but can always go back and replace the mix or adjust stuff later and it propagates all the instances of the "multicam" audio clip. But i imagine this doesn't help much for narrative film where you are stringing together audio from tons of short clips…

• FCPX -> ProTools (They are working on Apple Logic) http://www.x2pro.net/

FCPX -> Logic Pro (Beta out NOW) http://www.aatranslator.com.au/

Haven't had time to get AATranslator up and running - but its there for anyone to test...

PS: Coming from Shake- I found it very hard to go to AE. Hated Motion ever since it came out- yet I am liking Motion 5 so much!... Crazy. Especially with FXFactory, (I want to get into FXPlug2 as well- looks like good stuff).

• Expand multichannel audio files directly in the timeline for precise editing of individual audio channels
    • Unified import window for transferring media from both file-based cameras and folders of files
    • Redesigned Share interface for exporting projects and range selections to one or more destinations
    • RED camera support with native REDCODE RAW editing and optional background transcode to Apple ProRes
    • MXF plug-in support that allows you to work natively with MXF files from import through delivery using third-party plug-ins
    • Dual viewers, each with a video scope display, let you compare shots to match action and color
    • Option to add chapter markers in the timeline for export to video files, DVD, and Blu-ray disc
    • Range selection now preserves start and end points in the Event Browser and allows you to create multiple range selections on a single clip
    • Paste attributes window lets you choose specific effects to copy between clips
    • Flexible Clip Connections allow you to keep Connected Clips in place when slipping, sliding or moving clips in the Primary Storyline
    • Add a freeze frame to your timeline with a single keystroke
    • Drop shadow effect with intuitive onscreen controls to adjust position, edge falloff, angle, and more
    • New controls for combining audio from multiple angles within a Multicam Clip
    • Compound Clip creation in the timeline now saves the clip in the Event Browser for re-use in other projects
    • XML 1.2 featuring metadata import and export for richer integration with third-party apps

Via: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/23/apple-updates-final-cut-pro-x/#continued

• Some nice updates. I haven't been using FCPX much since the launch but I did buy it and I do intend to keep checking back on it as it's updated to see if it's something I'd like to start using more often.

The features they've been adding seem to suggest this product was developed more as a Final Cut Express type tool that they're now busy bolting the missing Pro features onto, but it's nice to see that they are actually doing it.

• at this point Apple should have launched FCP X

• @Oedipax my hunch is that it was developed as a media asset management tool, similar to Adobe Prelude.