Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Digital Bolex raw camera, no longer made
  • 1130 Replies sorted by
  • @matt_gh2 Wow - Thanks for the compliment! I think D16 owners are starting to get the hang of the D16 and it's workflow. I feel there's going to be a lot of surprises come this year with this camera. I'll make sure to post a teaser trailer soon.

• shows the real potential of this cam

Rather it shows the skill of the @lunalobo75 who'd probably be able to impress with whatever camera is thrown at him. Good work!

• @goanna That compliment is a lot to live up to - But, thank you kindly! Here's one shot in Brazil, and the D16 owner used a Zeiss 16mm Ultra Prime Distagon T1.9 at a 90 degree shutter:

• Very good colors, especially in the end! Love this look :)

• Nice out n' about:

• @lunalobo75 really loving the colour and rendering of the more recent D16 footage. How difficult do you find judging exposure when shooting - do you use a light meter?

• @matt33 I don't find judging exposure at all difficult if you don't have a light meter. Due to the style (and no permits) of my shooting, I never really use a light meter. The D16 has a grid/dot-like pattern option (what's called "RAW MODE" vs their Color Mode and Grey Scale Mode) in it's LCD display to check if you are clipping highlights, very useful. You check your Highlights, then switch back to Color or GreyScale mode fr shooting.

Also, after using the camera with overexposure and underexposures test, you start to get the feel of it's sweet spots. I feel D16 users are starting to get the hang of this lil' beast, especially the post workflow; everyday there's amazing footage being posted and new findings with the D16 color matrix and RAW processing techniques that are showcasing the true potential of this cam.

Admittedly, I was initially frustrated with this cam (and always kept my trusty Panny GH cams nearby), but I took my time, used the wonderful and helpful community forums, and shot a ton of footage and a few projects (including my own short film). Ergonomics of the cam aside ( I actually don't mind them), the images of late, from myself and other users, speak for themselves.

• http://jeremyosbern.com/blog/ here is the opinion by jeremy osbern who shooted a film using the d16 which will be premeried in these days at the slamdance...I think at first users were disorientated by the lack of info about the color grading wokflow...but now, with proper grading (and lighting, since it is not a low light cam), this camera reveals to have very nice colors :)

• Thanks @lunalobo75 and @AlbertZ. Although it's not a low-light camera, how do you find the low-light ability compared to a GH cam (I have the GH3) at iso1600, which is the max I go to on that camera?

• @matt33 You can push this cam (since it's RAW) a few stops and it won't break apart like a compressed codec will. You can read about my experience here (essentially the final video, and screen grabs, in this was pushed in post to about 1600) : http://www.digitalbolex.com/light-run-n-gun-fun/

• Another short film/commercial shot with the Digital Bolex - WOW:

• What's with the cobblestones on the right side of the screen between 0:23 and 0:24?

• Not certain. Might just be an encode issue.

• D16 Promo:

• Pretty quirky:

• really nice grade:

• Swiss TV recently took a look at the D16 vs the Bolex Rex 5 in s16. Both videos are in German with some people speaking in Swiss German: http://www.srf.ch/play/tv/einstein/video/digitale-bolex-bleibt-der-analoge-charme-erhalten?id=5ad8cf0a-d5a4-484f-9f18-28f26dcd5322

and a little Bolex History is here: http://www.srf.ch/play/tv/einstein/video/mythos-bolex-–-schweizer-kult-kamera-erlebt-renaissance?id=fcffcaa6-e60f-4563-8a7a-290f603f33e7

The Swiss are basically saying (national pride issues here) that the original is still better. The videos are interesting none-the-less.

• Some guys did some chroma keying with the D16:

• Norman Reedus directed this video completely shot on the D16:

• Here's some more frame grabs from my short film Half Kings. All the night stuff were quick grades and are not final. I can actual push the exposure another stop and half more in post, which I probably will since some of these are really dark in the shadows. I'll have a teaser up in a few weeks:

Sky 2.jpg
    960 x 540 - 423K
    Untitled_1.2.1.jpg
    960 x 540 - 228K
    Untitled_1.12.1.jpg
    960 x 540 - 283K
    Untitled_1.15.2.jpg
    960 x 540 - 268K
    Untitled_1.33.2.jpg
    960 x 540 - 204K
    Untitled_1.37.1.jpg
    960 x 540 - 212K