Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
RED surpassed Beats by Dr Dre margins record selling you just consumer SSD
  • 154 Replies sorted by
  • @EspenB

You can get patent to almost anything, and it will usually work, until it is challenged.

• I'm spending the next 40 minutes reaching out to the NYTimes, Hollywood Reporter, Deadline, the Verge, etc. If other people can as well, that would be super helpful.

• @eddavid

Why you are so obsessed by reaching "free" press? :-)

• hahah , this is too funny VK , "im going to put you on the news"

• @sammy

I really hope he will put Andrew on the news, I just not sure if news anchors little grey cells will survive this event :-)

• If i understood well, to be able to use a basic consumer ssd and make it usable on a red camera, you have to download a software who grants access to the ssd smart self-test Log and firmware so you could rewrite the smart info and write the s/n of an existing minimag ? It seems interesting for those who already have a minimag and some empty cases, they could basically clone it ? If so it looks like there is a new lucrativ job in town :p

• @Faudel

No. Serial is not changed. it is just simple software that overwrites one of SMART values of drive. This value is calculated from serial as F(serial). and it is stored to this SMART field.

Red cameras also read serial and do same calculation and check if this SMART field contains equal number.

• Apple response

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/ptab-filings%2FIPR2019-01064%2F6

One key to this solution involved another move away from industry convention, this time with respect to the type of image sensor used. At the time, the industry consensus held that cinema quality cameras would need to utilize three sensors, with a prism to split red, green and blue light to each sensor. Ex. 2001 (Nattress). This was in sharp contrast to single sensors, in particular, single sensors with Bayer-pattern filters, that were associated with lower quality, consumer-grade video cameras. Id. Thus, Bayer-pattern filter sensors were, at the time, derided as incapable of providing motion picture quality video due to artifact and resolution issues. Id. Nevertheless, the duo recognized the potential benefits a Bayer-pattern image sensor could have if the image data remained in raw, mosaiced format for compression. Id. Such a workflow could take advantage of all the postproduction flexibility and cost savings of being able to manipulate the original raw data upon decompression.

Nuts.

Was it obvious that you need to use bayer sensors for cinema camera with large DR and large format image? Yes.

Was it obvious that compressing data before debayer and color conversions has clear advantages? Yes, all digital photo industry had used compressed raw photos. All you needed is higher compression rates.

Was it obvious that you need to use separate planes and compress them using JPG2000? Yes, as it had been state of the art method at the time for intraframe compression and due to its design required such division into planes.

And so on.

sa9616.jpg
    634 x 509 - 50K
  • Topic on this and all things RED related now closed on EOSHD.

“Due to the legal risk apparent from the topics discussed in the RED v Apple and Jinni Tech Threads, as well as in the Komodo thread I have reluctantly had to remove them for now.

It just isn't worth the risk.

I do not want any users of this forum to get into trouble.

Thanks for understanding. We will see what happens with Apple.”

• @Slayerpossie

It had been shortest crusade in history.

Right after 2 kilometers brave knight realized that he forgot diapers.

• WTF is happening. Why should I be afraid of discussing RED patents and inflated profits on putting cheap electronics in milled aluminium housings?

• Why should I be afraid of discussing RED patents and inflated profits on putting cheap electronics in milled aluminium housings?

Because owners of this venture are vivid member of ruling class. And if they won't like that you say they will use all power of their class to make you feel the pain.

• "It had been shortest crusade in history. Right after 2 kilometers brave knight realized that he forgot diapers."

HAHAHAHAHAHA

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I was able to read the thread on EOSHD last night before the take down and Andrew postet some stuff from his earlier battle with RED lawyers.

In short it seems Andrew/EOSHD postet some less than favourable comments on the RED progress/developements circa 2009 and was contacted by RED legal representatives and strongly suggested to remove everything which hurted the RED CEOs feelings. Or face a expensive legal battle.

Perhaps someone who was around at the time could elaborate?

Also it seems that REDs raise to fame was their early 4K focus and 35mm sensor size, but apart from their full frame bayer pattern color sensors (own designs?) almost everything RED is basically to repackage current tech into fancy milled alu housings and charging an insane premium? CODEC is basically JPEG2000 applied separately to the none-debayered color channels. Bitstream in REDCODE was later obfuscated to hide this simple fact. MiniMAGS and LCDs are simply of the shelf parts with 10x premium added. Where did the "full frame" sensor used in the very first RED camera orginate from?

• Also it seems that REDs raise to fame was their early 4K focus and 35mm sensor size, but apart from their full frame bayer pattern color sensors (own designs?) almost everything RED is basically to repackage current tech into fancy milled alu housings and charging an insane premium? CODEC is basically JPEG2000 applied separately to the none-debayered color channels. Bitstream in REDCODE was later obfuscated to hide this simple fact. MiniMAGS and LCDs are simply of the shelf parts with 10x premium added. Where did the "full frame" sensor used in the very first RED camera orginate from?

And ALL of this became possible thanks to the industry media. As media is necessary part of all camera companies existence.

Instead of scientific approach and careful finances analysys went into expalining you nice emotional stories about innovators.

RED made some interesting and good things, especially in the early years where industry had still huge momentum and their management did not listen to engineers who told to them even better idea than RED could imagine.

We are now in the similar moment, moment where soon even most dumb managers in leading companies realise that bigger sensors, bigger bitrate and bigger prices approach no longer work.

• Lance Armstrong connection

• @Ausboy

Well, if you stop to search for "honor" and "integrity" among sponsors, and will try to look for very cynic guys looking for clear profit - it will be much better. I just do not see much RED specifics here.

• https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/6182839/parties/jinni-tech-ltd-v-redcom-inc/

Well this Jinni dude - does he got some fine lawyers - all Seattle based. Business is abooming i guess.

• @Slayerpossie

You need good lawyers with such case. :-)

Note how much Red spent to just avoid simple public acknowledge of the information that is obvious to anyone who spent time on the subject. As it can be very important to them to keep people in the industry away from all this knowledge.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I was trying to be subtle.

• @Ausboy

JIM JANNARD was a sponsor of Lance Armstrong with Oakley. He also KNEW that Armstrong was doping and kept it under wraps

See nothing wrong with it even if it was so. He is capitalist, profits had been high.

You just make big mistake, as job of Lance was not to "be clean and compete in healthy sport". His job had been to entertain the crowds, be the hero, participate in completely unhealthy sport with lot of private agreements and cheating. Part of this job had been to promote certain goods via sponsorship.

Yes, mass media just put the blame on him or many other starts, but it is not their fault. It is dynamic game, and sometimes main owners or even rules are changing. And new game season needs to show that it is not that it really is, but tell you some small fairy tale about "fighting with doping" or such.

Jinni tech videos are revealing that the emperor has no clothes and that cheap components are going into the cameras.

Well, lot of cheap stuff goes into many cameras also :-) With lot of marketing mumbo-jumbo around.

They bully anyone who opposes them and use the might of their lawyers

Many other companies are not so artistic, but even more deadly in legal department.

So who taught who to behave in a win at all costs way

Does not matter.

• New article looks at Red's rebuttal in court to Apple.
    https://www.eoshd.com/2019/08/red-respond-to-apple-in-patent-raw-wars/

• Pre-emphasis is prior art.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Give it a few days and if the right journalist connects the dots, it will be a great article or documentary