Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Top Rez 24p ONLY - FOOTAGE TEST AND SETUPS
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • @liquidify Actually, no, and not really. Video bandwidth is primarily limited by marketing cycles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gartner_Hype_Cycle_for_Emerging_Technologies.gif

• @LPowell Isn't this the curve that the hack and patches are attempting to augment, and successfully? I'm pretty new to this forum and I am trying to understand what specifically is bottlenecking the flow of information from sensor to storage for video stream only. My assumption had always been that since you guys have been able to cause problems with spanning due to speed of storage, that storage speed was the primary bottleneck.

Or are the spanning problems completely firmware related?

If I am correct, a SDXC card rated at 95 MB should be able to hit 30 MB/ s in larger file transfers http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/30/1998a0dc2b868abe97040d29e33ff7.png. I suspect that packet size and transfer type is probably short fast bursts of small amounts of data, and SD cards perform worst at these file sizes.

If storage is not the current bottleneck, then what is specifically?

• @LPowell Is the choice of the encoding codec somehow modifiable with a hack or not? Is it hardware tied? Like in a rom or something? Cineform would be a great codec for this camera. Or make the curet output 10bit which is indeed possible in a avchd intra? About 24 P and shutter speed, so far best results are given by 50 speed. Probably the shutter speed could be hacked to achieve a 48 shutter speed (or 47.952) and vice versa 23.976 increased to 24p. @ everyone At 24p, pan slow. At least 30 seconds for 180 degrees. Ciao

• @liquidify - "If storage is not the current bottleneck, then what is specifically?"

The damn thing breaks if you push it too hard.

@terry2 - "Cineform would be a great codec for this camera."

Too bad neither Cineform nor the GH2 were around to shoot this modern classic:

• @LPowell I'm serious. And as I ask proper and serious questions, I'd like to receive proper and serious answers. Thank you

• @lpowell what a great show "dream on" was. A guy who thinks in tv shows. And well done in the response.

I guess some people don't get it. Why is it some think they alone have a great idea that no one else has thought of? It comes across as arrogant. And all of their ideas are supposed to be doable from what is probably a binary, reverse engineered dump file. Change the codec? Seriously? That would be hard if you had all the schematics and code in front of you.

• @chauncy @Macalincag So, a simple answer is "No, it's not possible due to etc etc". I think that in here we are professionals and adults (some). No one wants to waste time as this is not Facebook, but a tool to share experiences with these patches. Besides, there are no stupid questions but only stupid answers. Also DPX was said to be impossible to be exported on fcp in a REAL 16bit config. Bob Monagham did it. Not to mention Les Dittert and his revolutionary scan. All people whom I worked with. Vitaliy and his hack! Genious. Driftwood and his Patches! Brillant. So, if you Chauncy, Macalincag etc guys think that all people, like me, that don't know things like you do and are just trying to learn and share are stupid, just don't answer. Because making fun of us, it's just plain idiotic and disrespectful. And that yes, it is by definition very arrogant. Thank you.

• @terry2

If (and that's a big if) the GH2 is able to output uncompressed and you want to record into Cineform, you might want to look into this for a future solution: http://cinemartin.com/

Although I don't know when this is to be released, it is the only external recorder I've read about outputting to the Cineform codec.

• @Macalincag I thought about cinemartin, but it would be the same situation that there is with the ninja = HDMI signal out of the gh2 is not that great. Not real current benefits in hdmi out if compared to Quantum. I guess the best possible thing would be to get the 10bit encoding working (even at 4:2:0) and then wait for future gh3. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Cheers

• you are a funny guy terry2 - very funny.

• @troyjason RE:And lenses create the final look (PL primes being the top choice).

What do you think of using Canon FD, super-16 C-Mount, or b4 mount with 2x lenses?